Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Mmmm, no VC's on that list?  And regarding Savage/Invasion, will this cover more than whats already out, namely, Invasion, The Guv'nor and Taking Liberties?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

BPP

I think it is a paradox that the MC is variable in quality but the UC is is pretty much all killer no filler. I mean you may not like a character or argue that the Slaine and Stront contributions are too high but really this stuff is all pretty much gold. I think its actually easier to get lapsed readers into this stuff and I know several guys who have said 'I wont subscribe but flag up decent individual issues to me..'

I've sorta explained to them that that is pretty hard as the quality is constantly high bar. Its much easier to cherry pick the MC.

Still I think getting them to buy The Kreeler Conspiracy is a good start - that's one absolute top notch fun read - classic art, fun fast action adventure.. if they read and enjoyed 2000AD back in the 80s/90s they'll realise this stuff they haven't read is pure classic 2000AD.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Magnetica

I'm not sure it is a paradox. Don't forget Dredd is just one of 5 stories in a typical weekly Prog so there is a lot more non Dredd material to choose from. Given the sheer amount of stuff available, it is much easier for it all to be top quality than the Mega Collection.

IndigoPrime

Yep. The 2000 AD collection will exhaust most of its heavy hitters in 80 books, but that still leaves an awful lot of really great stuff that won't be collected in that run. Dredd still has a reasonable amount of b+w that's not in the first 80 books, but a half-dozen or so books of largely redeemable dross, and probably another ten that aren't exactly knocking on the 'classic content' door.

I'll continue collecting all the Dredd books, but couldn't give a hoot about the extra ten. The 2000 AD one, though, I'd happily see continue indefinitely.

Steve Green

There seem to be some odd omissions so far - McMahon classics like Christmas comes to Des 0' Connor block, Judge Minty/The Long Walk, and newer ones like My Beautiful Career by Wagner/Coleby.

That last one I think is on par with Bury my Knee, but doesn't seem to get half as much attention.

IndigoPrime

Well, there are ten extra books coming, and we've no idea what'll be in most of those. Seems an ideal time to revisit some of the earlier Dredds that have been missed, since you're basically preaching entirely to the converted at this point.

Magnetica

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 September, 2017, 01:22:22 PM
There seem to be some odd omissions so far - McMahon classics like Christmas comes to Des 0' Connor block...

Possibly the single greatest Dredd one off episode of all time (?). Of the " comedy" ones anyway.

Arkady

Anyone order on or after 21 August and received theirs already?

The Monarch

Woolly

Quote from: Arkady on 11 September, 2017, 05:29:29 PM
Anyone order on or after 21 August and received theirs already?

I subscribed on the 25th, and received mine today. It was delivered by Hermes, and I'm based in Sheffield, if that's any help.

Yep, the mug is a bit shit, but it is also a mug with Chris Weston art adorning it so therefore it cannot be shit!
The free poster is smaller than the one with the newsagent version, oddly.*
Repro on Halo Jones is, so far, thoroughly acceptable.** Not brilliant, but acceptable.

*I don't really want either of 'em. PM me your address - first one to do so gets both absolutely free!
**Only read Book One so far, so appreciate it could get better.***

*** I'm starting to feel like Frank...  :-\

karlos

Halo Jones is now on the newsstands.

Can't open my copy yet as I'm at work, but Wolly's statement about the repro. is a wee bit disappointing.

abelardsnazz

A change I've noticed between the pilot Halo issue and the new one is that the title and intro pages have been coloured. Wonder whether this the plan for all the black & white volumes to break them up a bit.

Tomwe

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 13 September, 2017, 12:10:51 PM
A change I've noticed between the pilot Halo issue and the new one is that the title and intro pages have been coloured. Wonder whether this the plan for all the black & white volumes to break them up a bit.
Didn't the trial covers have a 'corner box' image as well? Something else to help see what the books is without taking it off the shelf all together. Guess was messy design.

Rara Avis

I received my first order about two weeks ago and was delighted with my mug, poster and the two novels. I had never read The Ballad of Halo Jones so to sit down and read the whole thing was a treat for me. I think the quality is great and I'm looking forward to receiving my next two.

There was a lot of debate about subscribing to this collection as many people are already subscribed to the MC and others. Would that not explain the reduced numbers signing up ?

As someone who read 2000AD for years, lapsed and returned within the last two years I see the collection as a way for me to re-read strips I'm already familiar with and become acquainted with characters I would have missed out on in the meantime. There's plenty of JD stuff out there already that I hope to get caught up on over the coming years but the release of this collection is just perfectly timing for me.

I am hoping the series will feature stories that might not have been reprinted except as part of a collection like this.

Jade Falcon

A secondary thing is that some of the material that was reprinted in the past didn't have a long print life and goes for premiums on Amazon and Abe these days.  Some of the Savage stuff for instance.  Depending on what is being reprinted if, if all you are wanting is something to read (like me), rather than an original collection, this is ideal.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov