Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

BPP

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 25 October, 2017, 01:38:07 PM
Quote from: BPP on 25 October, 2017, 01:22:29 PM
Wallet only for direct debit subscribers? Eh?

Was that always the case?

It's not.
I'm not a DD subber and one has been sent to me.

That's cool, but it's clearly stated on their site atm. I hadn't noticed it before so maybe doesn't apply for those in early

http://www.2000adcollection.com
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

robert_ellis

Nemesis does not have colour center spreads - all story art is b&w. It includes the Kevin O'Neill drawn book 3 and finishes with the sword sinister & secret life of blitzspear. The repro looks good to me. The next Nemesis book should be a Talbot extravaganza?

Tomwe

Quote from: BPP on 25 October, 2017, 01:45:15 PM
That's cool, but it's clearly stated on their site atm. I hadn't noticed it before so maybe doesn't apply for those in early

http://www.2000adcollection.com
First I'd heard of that too - not got my mail yet today so will update as and when I know if I got one! Not a DD subber here either.

Arkady

Quote from: robert_ellis on 25 October, 2017, 01:58:52 PM
Nemesis does not have colour center spreads - all story art is b&w. It includes the Kevin O'Neill drawn book 3 and finishes with the sword sinister & secret life of blitzspear. The repro looks good to me. The next Nemesis book should be a Talbot extravaganza?

I'm sure it hasn't always said that! Not that I want the wallet, but I'd be concerned if they change the rules for later gifts.

Magnetica

Quote from: robert_ellis on 25 October, 2017, 01:58:52 PM

Ok thanks. So it sounds like it doesn't add anything over what I already have in the Nemesis TPBs.

As they say on Dragons' Den "I'm out".

I have realised why I found it so hard to resist certain volumes of the Dredd Mega Collection but am finding it easier to resist this.

What the Dredd Collection did so well was collect together linked stories into a single narrative, which when published originally might have had weeks, months or even years in between the various parts, with other stories in between. The Case Files is obviously going to print those "in between" stories. So the Mega Collection really was /is the place to go for complete themed arcs.

For the other 2000AD stuff, the "in between" stories don't exist and I suspect what it does publish will be pretty similar to the already existing TPBs / GNs. And consequently I feel less need to get them.

TordelBack

Southstreeter

I have the same Nemesis dilemma. I've got the phone books and they're great, and I think they are the same page size as these new editions. Really it's just about whether the quality is better enough to justify it.

Swerty

Some of the old GNs are out of print now and I certainly prefer these to the old Telephone books.

Dark Jimbo

As you say, the content tends to be much the same, so it comes down to physical differences really. Hard to resist those gorgeous matte-finish hardbacks; love the paper stock, too; and the colour title pages really help break up long runs of black-and-white strips. It's also a big plus that the average content of the Hachette volumes is three 'books' rather than the two that tends to be the standard for Rebellion's volumes.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tomwe

Subscription package is here, wallet included. Nemesis looks great in this format!

IndigoPrime

Having just had a flick through, the repro is very good indeed in this Nemesis book. It's very clearly way ahead of that original phonebook volume. I only hope the quality remains this high throughout (and that, as previously noted, they put that Winter Special tale in chronological order when they reach book three).

Kingdom is interesting in one respect: the page count means it's not directly cloning existing Rebellion fare. This book includes the first three series, which means all of 'The Promised Land', and half of 'Call of the Wild'. So I assume that the next volume would be the second bit of that book ('His Master's Voice') and all of Aux Drift.

Arkady

When can we expect to hear about Issues 9 & 10? It feels like ages since we learned about Issues 6-8, though my memory is dreadful.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 October, 2017, 12:11:40 PM
Having just had a flick through, the repro is very good indeed in this Nemesis book.

Mine literally just arrived and I've only had time to properly scrutinise a few random pages, but you're right. A handful of pages are a little heavy (but not disastrously or distractingly so) but the vast majority are excellent, particularly impressive given O'Neill's ultra-fine line and obsessive attention to background detail.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 October, 2017, 01:56:46 PMA handful of pages are a little heavy (but not disastrously or distractingly so) but the vast majority are excellent, particularly impressive given O'Neill's ultra-fine line and obsessive attention to background detail.

Was this endorsement the price for getting a certain story under hard-covers, hmmmm?

Gruddamnit, though.  Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.