Main Menu

The Incomplete Case Files

Started by Richard, 03 June, 2019, 07:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Neither The Complete Case Files volume 32 nor 33 contains Prog 2001's story "Bad Mother." They just go straight from prog 1222 at the end of CF 32 to prog 1223 in CF 33.

Blue Cactus

Max Headroom

Sad when a story is missed out. Maybe it could be tacked on in a future volume to appease all us completists out there??

Frank

Good catch, Richard. I believe the Big Brother satire may have been suppressed to avoid bringing down the government*

* To be fair, calling the Victoria Beckham parody lollipophead is pretty funny

TordelBack

Earlyish Blythe colours doing Cam's sharp caricatures no favours there.  Pity to miss that one, I remember it being funish, but the art alone makes it worthwhile.  Saving it to do the heavy lifting in a surprise Restricted Files volume?

broodblik

I was hoping that very soon I would have read all the Dredd stories in the prog. Now that I know that the Prog "2001" story "Bad Mother." is missing my life is not complete. I damn a reprint.

On a lighter note hopefully the missing stories will be available in the "Judge Dredd Restricted Files Volume 5"  :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 June, 2019, 06:04:44 PM
Earlyish Blythe colours doing Cam's sharp caricatures no favours there.  Pity to miss that one, I remember it being funish, but the art alone makes it worthwhile.  Saving it to do the heavy lifting in a surprise Restricted Files volume?

The art and the colouring on the actual strip are really nice; the image compression on this forum just makes everything look awful. The story's fluff, but it's a fun update of You Bet Your Life (25) for the age of Papa Roach and ITV Digital, with some characteristic Wagner absurdist black humour. If it doesn't warrant inclusion in the Case Files, neither does half of Wagner-Dredd.

What's interesting about the image posted above is that if that strip was updated to include celebrities of today, Jamie Oliver would probably still be chosen to represent the Platonic ideal of the annoying TV chef.

Chris Evans > PewDiePie

Lisa Riley > Rebel Wilson

Gazza > Rooney or Beckham

Ivana Trump > Ivanka Trump

Victoria Beckham > Taylor Swift

Carol Vorderman > Rachel Riley

William Hague > Jeremy Corbyn

Alan Titchmarsh > Alan Partridge

Melinda Messenger > Kim Kardashian

Richard

Bad Mother is in the Cam Kennedy collection The Art of Kenny Who? (along with the Kenny Who? Stories which are also missing from the Case Files.)

Max Headroom

Especially surprising since 'Future Crimes' and 'Old Pals Act' from Year Prog 2000 were both included in Case Files 31 - I'm sure it must be a simple mistake (albeit an annoying one)

abelardsnazz

Bad Mother was also reprinted in the Mandroid issue of the Dredd Mega Collection - this volume is no longer available from Hachette, but i just saw one on ebay.

Frank

Quote from: Max Headroom on 04 June, 2019, 08:42:23 PM
Especially surprising since 'Future Crimes' and 'Old Pals Act' from Year Prog 2000 were both included in Case Files 31 - I'm sure it must be a simple mistake (albeit an annoying one)

Yeah - there's no reason to leave it out, a la America or (as pointed out above) the latter Kenny Who stories.

I keep the end of year progs in a separate folder because the numbering fucks up the issue order, maybe Tharg's minions do the same and forgot to slot Bad Mother into the book.

Tharg seems okay about fixing these things - maybe you'll all get 50% off (again).

TordelBack

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 04 June, 2019, 09:57:14 PM
Bad Mother was also reprinted in the Mandroid issue of the Dredd Mega Collection - this volume is no longer available from Hachette, but i just saw one on ebay.

Which I own, but still have no memory of reading since Prog 2001v1.

Max Headroom

'Bad Mother' has now been restored to the upcoming JD Case Files 34!!

Richard

That's impressive! I'm really pleased about that!

Robin Low

Quote from: Richard on 23 October, 2019, 08:20:15 PM
That's impressive! I'm really pleased about that!

Likewise.

Now, if I can just have America 2 with the missing speech bubble restored, I'd be really happy.

Regards,

Robin