Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 10:33:38 AMMuch will be made of the "we are following the science" mantra of the early days
The key thing most publications aren't asking is WHICH science. It's not like all British scientists were going: keep delaying lockdown. Number 10 was paying far too much attention to behavioural science that just happened to align with its economy-first ideology.

QuoteThen you go on Twitter and see the balloons still harping on about how Brexit needs Brexited
There are at least some positive signs there — a few bellwether Brexiters have been stating outright they are fine with transition being extended, although we really need to get to the state where that's "for up to the full two years" rather than "for as little time as possible". (Some are still going with just a few weeks being enough. Nope. Two years won't be nearly enough, but perhaps during that time we can agree to another extension somehow, if we've not pissed off the EU to the extent they won't deal with us at all by then.)

Rately

Quote from: sintec on 11 April, 2020, 11:47:42 AM
Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 10:43:02 AM
The fact they, the BBC, had Stanley Johnson on, and didn't challenge him on his previous, distasteful, ignorant and dangerous comments on Coronavirus is a disgrace.

Yeah I heard them quoting him all day yesterday on radio 6 until I eventually lost patience with it. I'm sure the first report quoted Stanley as saying Boris had "taken one for the team" which was particularly rage inducing. They had the good sense to select a different quote for later news reports.

Is it any wonder the media are so compliant, and unquestioning? Distracted by the access they have to nothings like Stanly Johnson.

Much easier I suppose to craft a story, from the father of the PM, than to cover the tragedy and needlessness of one of the hundreds, before long thousands, dying each and every day, and asking some of the bloody questions that need answer by the PM and his Government.

Tiplodocus

No chance of these Muppets being held accountable after the fact if you don't start it now.

The journalists at the Daily Briefing could be asking about ventilator numbers vs targets, pre numbers vs targets, testing numbers vs targets. And what dates these will be met?

And why the actual fuck New Zealand has only  1 death vs. Our horrendous total? Smaller country, sure. But not 7000 times smaller. Tell me Matt, Boris, why is that?
Numbers don't lie.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

sheridan

Lessons from Ebola

The minute you leave people out because they're too poor, or black, or Asian, or because of their immigration status, you give the virus a place to hang out, and then it'll come back. The minute you cut people out of these systems, you prolong the epidemic.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 11:55:26 AMIs it any wonder the media are so compliant, and unquestioning? Distracted by the access they have to nothings like Stanly Johnson.

They have access because Johnson is of their class, which is coincidentally also why he's entitled to airtime while the Greens can't buy their way onto BBC programming.

Rately

Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 April, 2020, 03:44:54 PM
Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 11:55:26 AMIs it any wonder the media are so compliant, and unquestioning? Distracted by the access they have to nothings like Stanly Johnson.

They have access because Johnson is of their class, which is coincidentally also why he's entitled to airtime while the Greens can't buy their way onto BBC programming.

It's a disgrace. What would anybody hope to learn from somebody so out of touch?

shaolin_monkey

The state of this. Absolutely vile propaganda! Nearly 1000 people die in one day due to the decisions made by this man, and this is what the Telegraph runs with. Sickening.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 04:07:10 PMIt's a disgrace. What would anybody hope to learn from somebody so out of touch?

Believe it or not, Johnson has written books - and even more surprisingly, they are not colouring books.  I will sum them up thusly: "Britain good, sharing bad."  Amazingly, this applies to both his books on eugenics social theory, and eugenics environmental philosophy.

Anyway, it's a real brain-teaser why the BBC are wheeling a eugenicist member of the public with no scientific credentials onscreen after weeks of the government insisting that we should let certain people die so everyone else can have it easier.  It's just a mystery we'll never solve.

Tjm86

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 11 April, 2020, 06:00:26 PM
The state of this. Absolutely vile propaganda!

Thing is though, the tagline is absolutely spot on.  Johnson is very much the epitome of the health of the body politic at this present time: diseased, corrupted, totally out of touch with the nation as a whole, slowly disintegrating and taking so many others down too.

Blair famously once said that history will judge him.  The same is going to be true of Johnson and his ilk.  Unfortunately I don't think it is going to be the history of the UK but rather the history of whatever nation arises out of the ashes.

Rately

I'm now seriously considering queuing at our local supermarket every day, getting there as early as possible, so I can lift all copies of The Sun, Telegraph etc. and take them all to the Gluten Free aisle and hide them behind the shelves.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Rately on 12 April, 2020, 08:55:53 AM
I'm now seriously considering queuing at our local supermarket every day, getting there as early as possible, so I can lift all copies of The Sun, Telegraph etc. and take them all to the Gluten Free aisle and hide them behind the shelves.

There's a lot of lessons this country could learn from the way Liverpool pull together after th Hillsborough Disaster and created their 'Total Eclipse of the Sun.'

Rately

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 April, 2020, 09:47:13 AM

There's a lot of lessons this country could learn from the way Liverpool pull together after th Hillsborough Disaster and created their 'Total Eclipse of the Sun.'

Colin, the people of Liverpool should be rightly proud they took a stand. The UK would be a much better place if we done away with it and a few other papers that that do so much psychic damage, and groom so many decent people to take their horrible headlines at face value. Generations of damage done.

Hopefully the financial losses quickly become too much, and they have to shut the bloody thing down. I'd have sympathy for those who make their livelihoods from working for it, but, seriously, you work for The Sun.

Tjm86

See I would take them to the Toilet Roll aisle and put them on the shelves ...

Rately

Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 April, 2020, 10:36:12 AM

See I would take them to the Toilet Roll aisle and put them on the shelves ...

:lol: