Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Fingers crossed for you and your missus, Dr. X.

The Doctor Alt 8

Crossed fingers from me to.

Is it just my area or are people getting more lax with their social distancing? The security staff at the supermarkets are letting more people in instead of the one in one out policy. This means that the shops are more crowded and its difficult to maintain the proper distance. Some queeres are not keeping away from others... people are stopping and chatting to each other.  No one seems to care to stop them and I am sure that there are more cars on the road.

But the danger isn't over... far from it.. We are heading for a second wave at this rate... And the country can't afford it an not in just a financial way.

:(

shaolin_monkey

Good luck from me too!

My partner's brother was tested a fortnight ago, as he thought he'd caught it from one of the 'supported adults' homes he works in. Thankfully it came back negative.

I wasn't sure where best to post this, but seeing as it is COVID, PPE, and NHS related, I'm leaving it here. Such dark humour, but just nails the cognitive dissonance currently rife throughout the U.K.

https://www.facebook.com/228085561008026/posts/848031589013417/?vh=e

YouTube version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iprf9n5ht14

Robin Low

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 02 May, 2020, 01:36:55 AM
Is it just my area or are people getting more lax with their social distancing? The security staff at the supermarkets are letting more people in instead of the one in one out policy. This means that the shops are more crowded and its difficult to maintain the proper distance. Some queeres are not keeping away from others... people are stopping and chatting to each other.  No one seems to care to stop them and I am sure that there are more cars on the road.

I'm thinking the same. Many people are still being sensible, I can see plenty who are not.

I hate to say it as someone due to turn 50 this year but who feels 20-something inside (well, maybe 30-something), but younger people seem to be the worst offenders.

Regards,

Robin

Richard

20% of negative test results are wrong, so if you had a reason to suspect you had covid-19 then you should continue to act as if you have it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robin Low on 02 May, 2020, 11:36:15 AM
I hate to say it as someone due to turn 50 this year but who feels 20-something inside (well, maybe 30-something), but younger people seem to be the worst offenders.

My experience in shops is the exact opposite: it's the old biddies wandering up and down the aisles caring not a jot for instructions to all move in the same direction and the clear floor markings showing two meter intervals. All of which only demonstrates that anecdote≠data.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

paddykafka

And keeping in the spirit of black humour ('cause Grud knows, we need a laugh now and again during these times....)

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=164370061449973

Colin Zeal

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 April, 2020, 05:38:30 PM
Royal Mail buckles. No more Saturday Progs for the foreseeable future: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-royal-mail-scraps-saturday-21940534

Update on this - it has been agreed that each delivery office can make the decision for themselves about Saturday post. It will only last for six weeks and be reviewed fortnightly. My office  (London e2) was going to carry on as normal but for some unknown reason the office that processes our work decided for us that we wouldn't be doing letters and flats (magazines and catalogues ) today and held back the work.

von Boom

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 May, 2020, 11:42:51 AM

My experience in shops is the exact opposite: it's the old biddies wandering up and down the aisles caring not a jot for instructions to all move in the same direction and the clear floor markings showing two meter intervals. All of which only demonstrates that anecdote≠data.
This is my experience as well. The last time I was there there were three of them blocking an aisle having a catch up on this and that. They were completely oblivious to the other people trying to use the aisle.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Thanks for your kind words. She's actually fine, mostly. Sore throat and grumpier than usual (but that might be because I'm at home more). Sore limbs. But no cough, no temperature.

I had a really wierd metal taste in my mouth for five or six days. Whisky got rid of it.

Reckon we've got something.

As she is a pharmacist, she thought it best to get tested so as not to infect anyone.

Results tomorrow - 48 hour turnaround.
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 02 May, 2020, 02:30:13 PM
Update on this - it has been agreed that each delivery office can make the decision for themselves about Saturday post. It will only last for six weeks and be reviewed fortnightly. My office  (London e2) was going to carry on as normal but for some unknown reason the office that processes our work decided for us that we wouldn't be doing letters and flats (magazines and catalogues ) today and held back the work.

Interesting - thanks for the update!  Also, I used to work right in the middle of that postcode...

Robin Low

Indeed. Hence my use of the word 'seem' as opposed to 'are'. I try to avoid things like YMMV, IME or IMO if I can.

Regards,

Robin

Robin Low

On another note, has anyone else seen an apparent explosion of joggers in their neck of the woods?

Assuming they're not just new to the activity, I've been wondering when and where they were all running before.

Regards,

Robin

Professor Bear

Most likely gym users forced into jogging when the gyms/leisure centers shut.  I'm more concerned at the explosion of dog-walkers and wonder why these poor pooches weren't getting exercised before.  Hopefully people weren't just letting them out to wander around.

My experience in shops is the exact opposite: it's the old biddies wandering up and down the aisles caring not a jot for instructions to all move in the same direction and the clear floor markings showing two meter intervals.

My local supermarket was manned mostly by high-risk individuals (50+, underlying health conditions, etc), and the few employees in their early 20s took it upon themselves many weeks ago - when it all kicked off - to bring in PPE and hand sanitizer, only to be expressly forbidden from using any of it because "it looks bad".  Later, they took it upon themselves to disable the automatic doors and institute a 1-in-1-out policy, as there's a post office in the back portion of the store and pensioners were very much ignoring social distancing/stay at home rules to collect their pensions in person.  The younger staff were taking this seriously, the older ones just seemed to view it as an inconvenience with which they shouldn't have to concern themselves.

Having said that, I've seen more and more (admittedly small) groups of kids hanging about as time goes on.  So much for that joke about how being stuck in their rooms with their phones and videogame consoles isn't really a punishment.

Tiplodocus

Had my first shopping trip wearing a mask today. I felt like a total fud.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!