Main Menu

Hello!

Started by Laser Skeleton, 23 July, 2020, 12:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laser Skeleton

Hi there - long-time lurker and longer time reader of the Prog here. Started with 2000AD about 89/90, took a break in the late-90s/early 00s and came back maybe 5 years ago. Lockdown has inspired me to dig all the old progs out of the attic and do a wee bit of drawing - also a whole lot of listening to the fantastic Mega-City Book Club has definitely helped!

Anyway, looking forward to joining in the chat here.

broodblik

Welcome. I really like your avatar 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: Laser Skeleton on 23 July, 2020, 12:17:47 PM
Hi there - long-time lurker and longer time reader of the Prog here. Started with 2000AD about 89/90, took a break in the late-90s/early 00s and came back maybe 5 years ago. Lockdown has inspired me to dig all the old progs out of the attic and do a wee bit of drawing - also a whole lot of listening to the fantastic Mega-City Book Club has definitely helped!

Anyway, looking forward to joining in the chat here.

Are you on a re-read of the progs, or just flicking through them?  Where have you gotten up to?

sheridan

Laser Skeleton

I'm just flicking through - it's amazing how they can feel completely removed from your memory and then as soon as you open one you're like 'I remember every detail of this!'

A lot of my time during lockdown has involved spending too much money on trades - Meltdown Man (which I missed out on altogether), Lawless and 2000AD-adjacent stuff like Grandville.

Laser Skeleton

Quote from: broodblik on 23 July, 2020, 12:27:47 PM

Thank you! Learning to use a tablet for drawing, a first for me!

sheridan

Quote from: Laser Skeleton on 23 July, 2020, 12:39:58 PM
I'm just flicking through - it's amazing how they can feel completely removed from your memory and then as soon as you open one you're like 'I remember every detail of this!'

A lot of my time during lockdown has involved spending too much money on trades - Meltdown Man (which I missed out on altogether), Lawless and 2000AD-adjacent stuff like Grandville.

Meltdown Man is one of my favourite stories - Belardinelli did so much great work in other series, but that 50-prog run is just amazing.

Laser Skeleton

It's just fantastic - like a baroque Thundercats fever dream.

Colin YNWA

Yep this. I mean welcome abord have fun and all that BUT man that avatar is fantastic!

Laser Skeleton

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 July, 2020, 01:01:22 PM

Yep this. I mean welcome abord have fun and all that BUT man that avatar is fantastic!

Ah thank you! And (I'm assuming from your name) congrats on picking up the trophy last night!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Laser Skeleton on 23 July, 2020, 01:03:23 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 July, 2020, 01:01:22 PM

Ah thank you! And (I'm assuming from your name) congrats on picking up the trophy last night!

Well it's been a while since I followed um with the passion of younger MrYNWA but have to be honest I very much enjoyed last night. Fun game too.

Dandontdare

It's reminiscent of later McMahon - those big feet and super-skinny legs.

Welcome aboard  :wave:

And those Grandville books are beautiful things as well as being cracking stories - digital comics would never give you that experience.

Laser Skeleton

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 July, 2020, 01:10:43 PM
It's reminiscent of later McMahon - those big feet and super-skinny legs.

Welcome aboard  :wave:

And those Grandville books are beautiful things as well as being cracking stories - digital comics would never give you that experience.

McMahon is my all-time favourite! Nothing says 2000AD to me like his art, I could go on for hours about it. And absolute agreement about Grandville, I only have book 1 so far but it is lavish and lovely.