Main Menu

The Algebraist

Started by Funt Solo, 21 June, 2005, 04:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I never read any of his books and I am always on the look-out for some new material. Where should I start or can I just jump in with The Algebraist ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

I'm going to suggest Consider Phlebas.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Funt Solo

Banks has a tendency towards dark twists so, whilst Use of Weapons is an absolute masterpiece (as is, I think, The Wasp Factory), I think of Consider Phlebas (even though it contains its fair share of gross scenes and dark happenings) as an easier entry point.

In the same vein, Player of Games, but then the Culture is introduced in Phlebas, so...

There is a sense in which the Culture grows (sic) from book to book, so there's something to be said for the order of publication.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

There's very little in terms of continuity so you can pretty much start anywhere but Excession is the best one.
We never really die.

von Boom

I always recommend reading The Culture in order of publication.

The Algebraist is the only Banks novel I've not read. I've had it for years but I can't bring myself to read it simply because it will be the last new Banks I ever read. It's silly though. Maybe I'll read it over Crimbo.

TordelBack

I've had The Quarry sitting unread here for years now for the very same reason. It's nice to know there's still one left.

Culture-wise, there's nothing wrong with starting with Consider Phlebas, but I did get more out of it as a re-read: it's just a bit more conventional SF than the rest.

If you're not bothered about not starting at the 'beginning' (and continuity/order really is largely unimportant), I'd say you could do worse than Use of Weapons.

Funt Solo

I've had The Quarry sitting on the shelf since 2013, unread.

Getting a new Banks book was such an important thing in my life that, like Tordelback, it's nice to know there's more there.

Isn't that odd that we're choosing that method of commemoration, quite independently.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Thanks for all the pointers. I think I will start with the publishing order of the books so Consider Phlebas will be my first.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.