Main Menu

'The Angry Planet' collection from Hibernia

Started by maryanddavid, 30 November, 2020, 09:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

I hope this is OK to put up here -delighted to announce the Angry Planet collection from Hibernia is available now from Hibernia's shop -
http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/

Here's the blurb!

The Fleetway Files is a new series from Hibernia in association with The Treasury of British comic which aims to present the very best of Fleetway comics and build into an unmissable collection.

The first release in this series is a lost classic, Alan Hebden and Massimo Belardinelli's The Angry Planet, collected from the pages of Tornado and never before reprinted. Tornado (originally titled Heroes until a last-minute name change dictated by IPC management) was launched as a companion to 2000 AD and was designed to be a mixed-content adventure comic.

It included strips that spanned genres and time periods like Blackhawk, Captain Klep, Victor Drago (the detective Sexton Blake in all but name, thanks to a copyright issue) and The Mind of Wolfie Smith. It was not to last however and Tornado merged into 2000 AD after just 22 issues.

The Angry Planet featured in all 22 issues, but unlike Wolfie Smith and Blackhawk it concluded in the pages of Tornado. A sequel titled Mars Force was planned, which was to be set 50 years after the end of The Angry Planet and Belardinelli drew several pages which featured a new set of characters designed by Brian Bolland! Sadly, it never materialised.

The Angry Planet touches on themes such as resource scarcity and corporate control that remain relevant today, but at heart it's a rollercoaster sci-fi tale about rebellion. So, dive straight in and be blown away by Hebden's usual hard-nosed characters and dynamic script and cover to cover with Belardinelli's astonishing artwork as you join the first-generation Martians and their efforts to overthrow the dastardly Mars Inc.!

The Angry Planet

Colour Cover, B&W internals. perfect bound.

Bolt-01

maryanddavid

Bolt-01

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

It is. Hibernia have done a deal with Rebellion and have access to some content from the Treasury. There some discussion of it here with a call for suggestions about what to print next.

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=47138.0

broodblik

Good, the more reprint material we have makes it is so much better
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

Instant buy.

Thanks again for your passion for these books.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Bad City Blue

Hibernia still doing a bang up job. Tower King was superb.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

user2000

I've been a big fan of all things Hibernia, in fact I think I have all the books published thus far.

I'm just wondering if the colour centre spreads are reproduced in this book as the description just says it is all B&W apart from the covers?

Be a little be disappointed if this isn't the case seeing as Rebellion have now started to reproduce these in their own reprints.  Not to mention the lush colour inside recent Hibernia books.

maryanddavid

They are in B&W, not greyscale. Richard has restored Massimos art and it looks incredible, the colour obscured a lot of linework.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Mine arrived this morning, thanks very much! First impressions: you know how the old Titan paperbacks are lauded for their crispness of repro- in a way that T3bellion have never- quite- matched? Well, this looks like a Titan volume. It's very, very good.

SBT

The Amstor Computer

Really lovely to hear favourable comparisons to both Rebellion and the classic Titan collections - the printing on Tornado was not the best, so a lot of work went into trying to get everything looking as good as possible.

re: the colour spreads. As David says, they are reproduced here in B&W but not just a simple greyscale conversion - each of the three spreads was stripped of colour, then the linework was restored as best as possible to give what I hope will look like the original B&W art Belardinelli would have supplied to the Tornado editorial team. I take the point re: including colour spreads, but it just wasn't possible on this particular release and I hope that the work that has gone into presenting those spreads in clean B&W will go some way to compensating for that (definitely no quick & easy greyscale conversions on this one - I reckon it was around five days work on each DPS!)

maryanddavid

Thanks Steev, the Titan book comparison is great!