Main Menu

Prog 2232 - A Small Sacrifice?

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 May, 2021, 06:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Although I too am a big fan of badgers, I have to say 2005 me would not have bought that Megazine even though it promises 100 PAGES MAXIMUM JUSTICE.

The cover to this weeks Prog however is ace, really striking. It took me a while to realise it's the Thistlebone mask painted to look like a badger - you can see the line of the skull down the middle. It's obvious, I know.

Dredd – Very much enjoyed this but I was surprised it wrapped up so quickly. Nice characters, nice setup and I think a longer story could have been told here. Simon Fraser's work on faces are so good! Another fairly optimistic ending, are we due Dredd killing some poor cit soon for something trivial? Although with times being a bit dark at the moment I actually appreciate this right now.

Intestinauts – Big fan of this. It did feel as though the Intestinaut involvement was a bit tagged on - the stuff with the Venom suit could all have potentially happened without it (especially as the blokes replacement suit seems able to move about and act independently). I'd like to see this back again and I'd love to see more of Pye Parr in the Prog.

Feral & Foe – I praise this every week and this is no different. Class. I think it's really hard to write 'banter' dialogue well - it's one of the things that I find spoils a lot of smaller press comics and books - but Dan Abnett is really on the case here and the designs are immense.

Terror Tale – Nice, but I felt a bit overwritten - the story could have cut out all the bits with other dudes dying off and still had the same impact but felt a little less crowded maybe?

Thistlebone – This certainly escalated in the last couple of weeks. Totally unexpected and beautifully executed, although looking back over the series as a whole it's been the slowest possible of slow builds: I get that this is needed to contrast with the last couple of episodes and it works a lot better as a re-read with a lot of foreshadowing and captures the folk-horror vibe perfectly. This ending also feels like the middle part of a trilogy, so I hope we can get a third series soon and that Thistlebone isn't the Oglaf version.

If we're doing the coupons:

VOTE HERE!
List your three favourite stories IN THIS PROG on the coupon and enclose it with your entry.
1. Feral and Foe
2. Dredd
3. Intestinauts
I Dislike: Prog arriving Monday instead of Saturday
My Age is: 45. How did that happen?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tomwe

VOTE HERE!
List your three favourite stories IN THIS PROG on the coupon and enclose it with your entry.
1. Intestinauts
2. Thistlebone
3. Dredd
I Dislike: The lack of time I have to reread stories when they conclude
My Age is: 44

I, Cosh

Quote from: Richard on 19 May, 2021, 11:33:17 PM
That's 16 years ago.
Pffft. Give it time.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 May, 2021, 10:28:48 PM
Oh that got me thinking and without going to Barney is that Devlin Waugh?
It is.

Intestinauts the surprise stand-out Thrill for me this week. Something quite exceptional about the way Pye's art on this series can be so busy and full of details without seeming cluttered.

I'm pencilling in a reread of My Life with the Zoom Call Cult for the near future but my first impression is that things just sort of happened without anything really happening and that was intentional.
We never really die.

norton canes

zombemybabynow

just read the Thistlenone TPB and at the end it just says 'the end' same as at the end of this episode in the prog

therefore, could there possibly be a book 3 ?
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Colin YNWA

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 24 May, 2021, 08:42:27 AM
just read the Thistlenone TPB and at the end it just says 'the end' same as at the end of this episode in the prog

I think that's one of the bits of brilliant about this ending. It leaves the story at a place were there is certainly more that can be done. On the flipside if it ends as is its a very satisfying and fitting end with the context of the genra it sits in.

I hope there is*, am happy if not.

*Actually the danger of doing more is it burns out and get blotted and over used - so happy if there is and its done as well as what's gone before.

Proudhuff

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 24 May, 2021, 08:42:27 AM

yes, its called Cradlegrave!
DDT did a job on me

Andrew_J

VOTE HERE!
List your three favourite stories
IN THIS PROG on the coupon and
enclose it with your entry.
1. Feral & Foe
2. Thistlebone
3. Intestinauts
I Dislike: Terror Tales
My Age is: 52

Art

(especially as the blokes replacement suit seems able to move about and act independently)

Side by Side mode. There is an... umbilical.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Art on 25 May, 2021, 05:51:21 PM
(especially as the blokes replacement suit seems able to move about and act independently)

Side by Side mode. There is an... umbilical.

:o
You're a dark horse, Boots.

DrJomster

I've been doing a huge prog catch up for Reasons, and I have to say it's been really strong of late. Thistlebone has been a joy, story, art and lettering all bringing the awesome. Special call outs for Feral and Foe plus A Penitent Man in Dredd.

Wonderful to see such a strong run in the prog. I mean, it's usually great, right, but this has been particularly good.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Prog 2232 :)

1st - Thistlebone - really well done final ep of book 2. Pacing of page 1 spot on.
        As others have said this would work as a final ep overall if it had to.
2nd - Intestinauts - fun, lots of colour, love all the details in the background too
3rd - Feral and Foe - Big rock excited to 'Facilitate' lol

Great prog overall with Terror Tale on track for a top three for a while but got a bit busy in the ending.
Dredd finished quicker and with a different ending than I was expecting but it was good too