Main Menu

Sisters of Death question

Started by Max Headroom, 27 June, 2021, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Just browsing on Wikipedia when I came across some information that the Sisters of Death, Phobia and Nausea, also had a previously unknown (at least to me!) third sister. Can anyone say in which stories this unnamed sister appeared in, and also what has become of her?
Many thanks.

Dark Jimbo

I don't know about a third Sister, but the Alan Grant story Lucid (Megs 238-241) added Dementia, Ephermera and Pustula to their ranks.
@jamesfeistdraws

Max Headroom

Thanks, Jimbo. The article I was reading does include the three you mention as cousins of Phobia and Nausea, but insists there was also a third Sister.

M.I.K.

There was definitely a story, (a Judge Anderson, possibly?), that mentioned "the third sister" and she's called something like "Delirium" or something, but I think that was intended as more of a metaphor than an actual character.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: M.I.K. on 27 June, 2021, 04:53:30 PM
There was definitely a story, (a Judge Anderson, possibly?), that mentioned "the third sister" and she's called something like "Delirium" or something, but I think that was intended as more of a metaphor than an actual character.

Aha... You mean this bit in Necropolis:

@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

As you say MIK, definitely meant as more of a metaphor than anything else.
@jamesfeistdraws

M.I.K.

I was wondering if it was actually in Necropolis. Haven't read it in ages. Yep, that's what I was thinking of.

Batman's Superior Cousin

There's also the "spirit" inhabiting both Byke and Destyny in The Fall of Deadworld that's also referred to as the 'Third Sister'.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Max Headroom

This is a quote from the article I was reading:

"The two Sisters were once joined with a third Sister, acting as a powerful triad, but she left their side and has opposed them ever since." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Judge_Dredd_characters#Sisters_of_Death)

Does this suggest she had rather more than just this brief mention in Necropolis?

Batman's Superior Cousin

In that case, see my message above yours. She opposes them in TheFall of Deadworld and is referred to by the Sisters as one of their own.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

M.I.K.

BSC is right. That's definitely "Byke".

Funt Solo

From prog 2089 (part 9 of Damned, The Fall of Deadworld):

There's more explanation (of sorts) in prog 2092, where the three sisters (the third inhabiting Byke) have a conversation:

OG* Sister: Ssshould you be here? The ruless are clear. We can create avatarss - nudge them towards their desstiniess - but direct intervention sshould be limited.
Byke: There are two of you, one of me. How is that fair?
OG Sister: With each new atrocity our power growsss! Join usss. We were a triad once. Three in the shape of one.

This brings up many questions, of course. Who are the sisters? How many planets, worlds or dimensions have they inhabited? What is Byke's aim? To create an Aliveworld? What rules? Of a game? A cosmic conflict? Designed by themselves or a higher being? The triad form they speak of - is this a new thing or something that already exists in the history of the comic?

*Original Gangsta
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tomwe

I've read enough stories about witches to know there are usually three. Perhaps it is just an inevitable trope?

AlexF

Mr Solo, with your talk of cosmic games and Triads, are you implying that Kek-W is pulling a favourite move*, and is, in fact, linking Fall of Deadworld to my beloved Return to Armageddon??

*Linking two series that have no Earthly reason to be linked

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 June, 2021, 11:05:59 PM
This brings up many questions, of course. Who are the sisters? How many planets, worlds or dimensions have they inhabited? What is Byke's aim? To create an Aliveworld? What rules? Of a game? A cosmic conflict? Designed by themselves or a higher being?

Made a bit more explicit in Tainted:

I love the Deadworld conception of the Sisters as Lovecraftian God-locusts manipulating worlds toward armageddon - and it makes so much more sense of the characters than than the intital conception of them as 'a pair of witches that Death bumped into one day.'
@jamesfeistdraws