Main Menu

NEXT UP - Bolt-01 Cup - the best of Strontium Dog Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 July, 2021, 06:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Given this is a tribute to the venerable Dave, shouldn't all Stront Zarjaz and Dogbreath Alpha outings be considered cannon for this enterprise?

Probably not, but seeing Colin's head explode would be worth the post!

Colin YNWA

Funny enough I've already had a lovely exchange in 'Messages' on this very subject. I'd love to but for all sorts of reasons it wasn't practical alas.

Sorry.

Leigh S

the starlord specials & annuals are very Starlord!

Colin YNWA

Need a little help here...

Resurrection and beyond

Finally For Resurrection and beyond I've kinda gone for:

The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha 1    11
The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha 2    9
The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha 3    10
The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha 4    10
The Stix Fix                    10
Repo Men                    11
The Son                    9

Now here's where I'm in a quandary. I've split out Life and Death as it feels a bit too long and spralling and I think thematically it's really in two halves with the resurrection almost a necessity that morphs into a device by the end - but is that fair? If I'm honest I'd like to bundle Parts 1 and 2 together and 3 and 4 as that feels a more natural divide and it's one the trades use BUT is that any better?

Any ideas so I can work out how to run this one, by which I mean split up The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha???

broodblik

Maybe all the resurrection stories together with the last few separate calling it something like "The Beyond and after" or "The Final Frontier"
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 July, 2021, 07:43:07 PM
Okay, so first round of the Tourney is a face-off to decide how we're going to break up the tourney?

Round 1: epic vs short
Round 2: epic vs era
Round 3: epic at 24 pages vs epic at 25 pages
Round 4: published during a full moon vs during a gibbous moon

Clearly unworkable.

At which point does a gibbous moon become a full moon?  A much more practical idea would be to pit those published under a waxing moon versus those against a waning moon.  All Colin would have to do would be to look up the cover dates of the relevant progs, categorise them by 'date comes off of sale' and 'date goes on sale' (as what the actual cover date refers to has changed over the years)*  Then quickly look up a calendar of moon phases for the past forty-three years and hey presto - we have a workable system.  Simplicity itself.

* don't forget to consider what day of the week the prog is 'in orbit'.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 16 July, 2021, 08:40:27 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 July, 2021, 07:43:07 PM
Okay, so first round of the Tourney is a face-off to decide how we're going to break up the tourney?

Round 1: epic vs short
Round 2: epic vs era
Round 3: epic at 24 pages vs epic at 25 pages
Round 4: published during a full moon vs during a gibbous moon

Clearly unworkable.

At which point does a gibbous moon become a full moon?  A much more practical idea would be to pit those published under a waxing moon versus those against a waning moon.  All Colin would have to do would be to look up the cover dates of the relevant progs, categorise them by 'date comes off of sale' and 'date goes on sale' (as what the actual cover date refers to has changed over the years)*  Then quickly look up a calendar of moon phases for the past forty-three years and hey presto - we have a workable system.  Simplicity itself.

To be fair all I'd have to do is message Funt Solo - I bet he's done this already!

AlexF

Any mileage in entering 'Life and Death' as just a single massive story? This is in line with the Final Solution, that was laso published in chunks originally...

But failing that I'd be in favour of splitting 'Life and Death' into two chunks, as per the trade collections.
Y'know, if you're asking.

Getting excited for all this! Lucky there's a sunny weekend coming up so I can hide indoors reading great comics.

Barrington Boots

How about we split these down into individual pages instead, rather than do it by story? I'm pretty sure you can organise that Colin and then in only 2,0000 weeks we'll know the best page of SD art of all time!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 16 July, 2021, 11:27:36 AM
How about we split these down into individual pages instead, rather than do it by story? I'm pretty sure you can organise that Colin and then in only 2,0000 weeks we'll know the best page of SD art of all time!

Be bold.  My vote is for individual panels.

(back on topic - I'd struggle to figure out which bits are which if Life and Death is being split in to four sections).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 16 July, 2021, 11:27:36 AM

You laugh but trust on my list....

Dark Jimbo

Book I of LaDoJA definitely is distinct from the others, being all about Middenface, Precious and the hunt for Johnny's corpse. The Project is all industrial espionage-type stuff; Mutant Spring and Dogs of War are all about the Second Mutant War, and have a very different flavour to Middenface and Precious' galactic jaunts.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Brace yourself this one... well its not straight forward but that's half there fun...

There is a spreadsheet which makes things cleaer... or ... well... will when its finished!

Format Part 2

Okay so there are 7 qualifying 'regions' and 16 places in the final tourney proper - so how's that gonna work I hear you cry? Well remember this is working like World Cup qualifying, so it's not going to be straightforward and there will be weighting to it all. So just as more European and South American teams proportionally qualify so here. And yeah qualification is run slightly differently in the different regions and I've gone for a similar thing here. So the qualifying mini tourneys (with a quick adjustment for the change in the Epic and Long go like this.... and now a couple of others)

Lots of people will disagree with my distribution but I'm FIFA and yes I'm as corrupt and twisted as they are - so my rule is final and I'm financially committed to them!

Epic = 8 teams - 3 to qualify

Two groups of four, each Epic in a group playing the others. First of each group qualifies by right. The two second placed storys to go to a play-off for the final spot.

Long = 12 teams - 4 to qualify

3 groups of four, each story in the group playing all the others in that group. First in each group qualifies. All second place story enter a three way play off.

Short = 9 teams - 2 to qualify, 1 to plays-off

Three groups of three. The winners of each group and the best of the runners up go into a play-offs

Relaunch = 9 teams - 2 to qualify 1 to play-off

Three groups of three. The winners of each group and the best of the runners up go into a play-off.

Short and Relaunch Play-off.

The best runners up in each of Short and Relaunch group so into a head to head for a bonus place

Resurrection = ?? teams - 1 to qualify - 1 into play off

Keeping this one simple with just one straight vote (but I'll do an exciting point scoring system for this one). Second place into play-off

Annuals and Specials = 12 - 1 to qualify - 1 into play off

Keeping this one simple with just one straight vote (but I'll do an exciting point scoring system for this one). Second place into play-off

Starlord = 12 - 1 to qualify - 1 into play off

Keeping this one simple with just one straight vote (but I'll do an exciting point scoring system for this one). Second place into play-off.

Resurrection / Annuals and Specials / Starlord play-off

So the second placed story in each of the three 'regions' go to a three way round robin play off for the final spot.

Over complex - YES. But one of the things I love about World Cup qualifying is when you get a play-off between Iran and Australian to see who qualifies so I'm going for something like that!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 July, 2021, 08:54:25 AM
To be fair all I'd have to do is message Funt Solo - I bet he's done this already!

You know I was disappointed that the final part of Blood Moon was published during a waning crescent! It's as if Tharg isn't even paying any attention to the phases of the moon during a moon-themed story. Don't get me started on Age of the Wolf!

---

In other news, I wonder about the inclusion of Trial Run (FCBD8 - Regened), Acceptable Losses (2183 - Regened) and Once Upon a Time in der Vest (2212)?

I think the Life and Death saga should be split as published, with a brief summary for the voters.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman

Haha -mental.

Love it, and I'm sure Dave would too!