Main Menu

Monster Fun Halloween Spooktacular

Started by Barrington Boots, 11 October, 2021, 10:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

I really enjoyed this. I have a real affection for stuff like Buster, Whizzer & Chips etc and this captures the feel, of those albeit with a modern twist, probably as well as could be done. There's enough strips inside (19 seperate stories) that even if one strip falls flat for you another will delight. There's such a variety of art throughout as well from some excellent artists and the quality is fantastic. There's a few nostalgic nods and some art cameos for older readers but everything can be read 'cold' with no previous knowledge needed, even Leopard which has a quick catch up.

Highlights for me were Grimly Feendish, WizWar, Hire a Horror, Creature Teacher & Jump Junior - my personal  favourite was Scare Salon, by a creative team I was totally unfamiliar with, that absolutely loads up on terrible puns.

The stories are slight and silly but that's kind of the point. I know I'm waaay too old to be the target audience, but I really hope this is a success and that the ongoing title launch is along the same lines, as it is absolutely great.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Yes this was a good special and if you have children I can recommend it
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

The child got her copy yesterday. Natch, it's disappeared now, so I haven't had a look yet. But it looked to be nicely full of varied strips. It'll be interesting to see how it reads. Cor/Buster seemed to slot between the Beano and The Phoenix. It was less polished and consistent than those titles but notably more anarchic than The Beano (which the nipper loves but I find formulaic) and sillier than The Phoenix. We'll grab a sub for the kid next year for sure.

Darren Stephens

I was over the moon to see 3 separate Tom Patterson strips inside this brilliant special. Looking forward to the ongoing comic coming out next year.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

scrotnig

Quote from: broodblik on 11 October, 2021, 11:28:12 AM
Yes this was a good special and if you have children I can recommend it
I don't have children and never will.

But that isn't going to stop me! I'm taking out a subscription to this.

Obviously, it's for research purposes / showing support for the concept, and nothing at all to do with the fact that I find this type of humour as funny now as I did when I was 8 years old.

IndigoPrime

Comics can be all-ages things. The clever thing is when someone creates something that genuinely works for children and adults alike.

Michael Knight

I ordered this only for 'the leopard of lime street' as its a character i discovered through the reprints and Valiant. I've never heard of Monster Fun original comic but im really loking forward to buying this. It's got great reviews. Hope its a success