Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Diamond Dogs vs HAVN - Round 1 Heat 14

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 November, 2021, 06:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

We're into our second week of the tourney now - so our thrill-critique-drivers should be well and truly warmed up - what delights will we have to tease them this week? Well some are ... interesting... shall we say...

Two modern Meg thrills going head to head here. The East End or Iceland?

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Diamond Dogs - more info

Vs.

HAVN - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 6th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Agreed that Havn is more imaginative, but I couldn't really get on with it overall - it ended up feeling like a Future Shock spun out over too many episodes to be a fun twist story, but not nearly enough for me to get a sense of lace and character and such. Diamond Dogs has the advantage of characters I can get something out of and I do love Warren Pleece's art. But ooooh East End gangsters is not my thing at ALL. Bah.

Think I've talked myself round to voting for HAVN...

IndigoPrime

Having an Icelandic partner, I was a bit HMMMM about Havn and so never really warmed to it. Diamond Dogs is... fine. This is like a cup tie between two teams I couldn't give a hoot about. I guess Diamond Dogs, just.

Link Prime

HAVN for a comfortable win here, I couldn't make it through one episode of Cubic Zirconia Mutts.

Dark Jimbo

HAVN definitely wasn't as developed as Diamond Dogs, but if they both appeared in the Meg tomorrow I know which one I'd turn to first.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

havn for me.
it was brilliant, opening more secrets on every reading. try it with a sigur ros soundtrack for extra shivers.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

Diamond Dogs is a cavalcade of ciches piled on top of each other with almost no attempt to make something original out of them. I'm a huge fan of seemingly generic action, sci-fi and kung fu films and comics and whatnot. An old story told well is a joy forever.  It always needs to have some little twist to make it stand out: a nice aesthetic, a memorable villain, a comically dickish hero. None of that here.

I remember IP's comments about HAVN while it was running and maybe I'd feel the same way I had an Icelandic partner. But I don't. No tired, corrupt undercover cops here, just a mad mind control plan and very lush art.

HAVN.
We never really die.

maryanddavid

Havn it is, even though it didn't quite work, DD, I just cant get into it, ever though the art is great.

Colin YNWA

Not a busy vote this one, which given the level of attention these two thrills recieve is hardly surprising. If you fancy having a say do so today and I'll count up in the morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Compared to other votes this one barely moved the dial. I wonder if its worse to be battered in a vote that draws votes of lose in a vote that doesn't even inspire many (relatively) votes... either way I quite like HAVN and both thrill have lovely art so I'm pleased

HAVN

Gets this one and goes into Round 2