Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Dash Decent vs Department K - Round 1 Heat 17

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 November, 2021, 06:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Into the third week now and we're well into the swing of things and we've really been testing those thrill-banks so far and exposing thrills that aren't very fondly remembered and so folks are struggling to recall. This week will be no different, there will be thrills here that are pretty damned decent and some that will have folks wondering why they've never read them... and in some cases that won't be a bad thing!

We start the week with two thrills at opposite ends of the thrill-timeline, yet both paying tribute to older sources of thrillpower beyond Tharg's Kingdom. One short lived thrill with stunning art, tongue firmly in cheek from the early days of the Prog lovingly poking fun at old cinema serials. The second only just starting its thrill journey as one of the most recent additions to the Prog, inspired by the comics of Jack Kirby in the Regened, it burst out into the Prog 'proper' with quite the cosmic impact.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Dash Decent - more info

Vs.

Department K - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 11th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

AlexF

Like, Dept K is a totally competent strip and it was fine and all, while Dash Decent was entirely broad and obvious and not very funny.
And yet, perhaps because I haven't read it in such a long time, I have enough fondness for Kevin O'Neill's anarchic pencils, and the handful of his jokes that DID land, that I'm still voting Decent. Dept K just made so little impact on me. It was sort of a Marvel multiverse pastiche kind of? It had characters in it?

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Magnetica

Dash Decent.

The best single page comedy strip ever in the Prog. Plus great O'Neill art.

We need more strips like this.

Sean SD

IndigoPrime

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dash Decent on 08 November, 2021, 12:56:11 PM
DASH DECENT!!!

Well, you would say that.

Dash Decent for me too though - I loved it.  Funny, weird, amazing art and a little bit sexier than a kids' cartoon strip should be.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

NapalmKev

Dash Decent based on the one episode I remember from an early 80's 2000AD annual.

I'm not a fan of Dept. K

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"