Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Time Flies vs Maniac 5 - Round 1 Heat 18

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 November, 2021, 06:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Into the third week now and we're well into the swing of things and we've really been testing those thrill-banks so far and exposing thrills that aren't very fondly remembered and so folks are struggling to recall. This week will be no different, there will be thrills here that are pretty damned decent and some that will have folks wondering why they've never read them... and in some cases that won't be a bad thing!

Garth Ennis and Mark Millar in da Thrill-house. Now these days these two have gone on two become two of the most popular and influential in comics. Were they always so... wellll... actually these two are far from the low points in the work they did for Tharg and I reckon one kinda gives a defense to an almost indefensible output BUT the only thing that matter is ...

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Time Flies - more info

Vs.

Maniac 5 - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 11th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

Wow I can not believe it but I am going to choose a Millar "thrill" Maniac 5
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

AlexF

Maniac 5, easy. Time Flies achieved nothing more than wasting the fine talents of Philip Bond. I go back and forth on whether including Bros in the strip was funny or not.

Maniac 5 is actually pretty good for most of the time, until it descends into 'but I can punch harder than you, and I really MEAN it' Millar plot nonesense.

NapalmKev

Maniac 5.

I enjoyed M 5* and I have no recollection of Time Flies.

Cheers

*Not the motorway

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Barrington Boots

These strips are.both so awful.
I hated Time.Flies at the time, on a re-read it's worse.
Maniac 5 is an abomination.
Can you just bin these both off out of the competition please.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

O Lucky Stevie!

The first series of Time Flies was knockabout fun that reminded me of what watching The Goodies felt like as  a kid.

The first series of Maniac 5 extrapolated on a cutting edge technology (telepresence), cast serial killers in a pathetic light instead of celebrating them, wrapped up some interesting philosophical ideas concerning the nature of self & consciousness in a slam bang action-fest, & had lovely Steve Yeowell art.

I vote for Time Flies.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Funt Solo

Time Flies was light-hearted nonsense when I first read it.  It suffers now from poo-tinted spectacles.

I could never get into Maniac 5 - I found the script too slight and the art too strange. There was no reason for the metal robots to have organic mouths that I could fathom.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

Hey! The design for Maniac 5, robot mouth and all, was way cool! Logic be damned (but you're right)

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!