Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - B.L.A.I.R 1 vs Judge Hershey - Round 1 Heat 30

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 November, 2021, 06:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just as you all start to get a little sick of voting on some sub-par thrills I'd dare to say week 4 of this Tourney actually has the strongest line-up so far. There's some real corkers to wrap your head around and some tough decisions to make.

Important note on inclusion here - for the purposes of this tourney we are treating the current series 'Hershey' as a separate thrill and only the series from the Meg are to be considered here, not the current series of her post judicial adventures. That seemed like a good idea... as I imagine B.L.A.I.R. 1 did at some point...

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

B.L.A.I.R.1 - more info

Vs.

Judge Hershey - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 20th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

I haven't had the pleasure or otherwise of reading BLAIR1, so Judge Hershey.

davidbishop

AlexF

I mean, I was thinking the same thing but that proviso about this ONLY being about the stories that ran under the heading 'Judge Hershey' makes a surprisingly big difference. There were like a handful of stories in specials that are entirely forgettable, and then a slightly bigger handful from the Meg, of which I can only call to mind the one where she's mucking about in a gym, and the almost good one with Kevin Cullen art that's something to do with a creepy Piped Piper Harlequin. That one story alone is way better than any of BLAIR 1...

BUT

BLAIR 1 as a concept I don't hate, Simon Davis did some great work, and just for that fact that we got that 'Toony Blair' headline in the background of multiple series of 'Have I got News for You' all makes me glad it was commissioned in the first place, and at least you (Dr. Bishop) had the deceny to kill it off quick when it obviously wasn't working. Bet it sold a few copies of the Prog at a time when sales were needed!

I'm pissing in the wind, but I'm also voting for B.L.A.I.R. 1
(I just wish it had actually had some slightly more subtle jokes in it beyond 'all politicians suck', which sums up Grant's biting analysis)

Blue Cactus

Simon Davis did do some lovely stuff on BLAIR1 and the cut out mask is still something to behold. But!

Judge Hershey

rogue69

Southstreeter

Funt Solo

Igor and Cullen's Game of Dolls and Harlequin's Dance are the two heavy hitters from the Judge Hershey line, and easily surpass the amusing but time-limited and one-note B.L.A.I.R. D.I.T.C.H. P.R.O.J.E.C.T.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Huey2

O Lucky Stevie!

Hershey is one of Stevie's absolute favourite members of the cast of Judge Dredd. But the kindest thing that he can say about the majority of the Judge Hershey strips themselves is that, well, they were all so inconsequential. The sole exception being the one that Igor Goldkind & Kevin Cullan did with the Harlequin. I'd happily read that any day. But the others...

B.L.A.I.R. 1 on the other hand was a one-note strip that looked good on paper but didn't quite work when put to paper. But it had a sheer audacity that was very 2000AD.

So B.L.A.I.R. 1 it is.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

I, Cosh

Judge Hershey stories have been almost universally uninspired filler generated to fill a few pages in the Meg.

BLAIR 1 was a one-off joke strip with ideas above its station. At least Simon Davis seems to be having fun.

BLAIR 1
We never really die.

paddykafka

Magnetica