Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Max Normal vs Satanus - Round 1 Heat 31

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 November, 2021, 06:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just as you all start to get a little sick of voting on some sub-par thrills I'd dare to say week 4 of this Tourney actually has the strongest line-up so far. There's some real corkers to wrap your head around and some tough decisions to make.

Forget all the bad blood that Satanus brought up... there's a gag there, damned if after writing about 14 of these things on the bounce I can find it... it was a bloody great thrill. So for me its heartbreaking that it comes up against one of my fav thrills of recent years. Another one getting live coverage on BBC for me this one.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Max Normal - more info

Vs.

Satanus - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 21st November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

credo

I have a nostalgic love of the Max Normal stories from the old Dredd annuals and dearly wish that someone would construct a real shuggy table (or at least include one in a video game).

This match up led me to imagining a story where Max ends up riding around on Satanus while desperately trying to maintain his cool.

Dark Jimbo

I really like Guy Adams' sense of humour, and the relationship between Max and Vito; but judged solely on the series here, I have to go with Satanus. Divorced of continuity, it was just a great little bit of Dino-chomp fun, with gorgeous Colin MacNeil paints.
@jamesfeistdraws

rogue69

IndigoPrime

broodblik

I will go for Max since I never read the Satanus strip (was this ever reprinted?)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

If we were voting on characters I'd go with Satanus for sure, but comparing that one series of his with a wealth of fun Max Normal one offs and the recent, actually funny comeback strips, it's an easy win for Max Normal. I guess I'm gonna vote for wordplay over chomping. Might be a different story if we were comparing to that four-parter from the Cursed Earth, though...

Southstreeter

Is this different to Blood of Satanus, which was awful (later series, anyway)?

I'll go max normal as that was ok.

Funt Solo

Satanus: Unchained (from 2001) by Rennie and MacNeil up against some early specials and the modern Guy Adams Max Normal thing with all the hipster vibes. Well, not that it was awful, but the hipstering, by it's very nature, felt forced. On the other hand, Unchained is the most readable of all the Satanus gigs.

Satanus: Unchained gets my vote.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: broodblik on 18 November, 2021, 10:05:27 AM
I will go for Max since I never read the Satanus strip (was this ever reprinted?)

No. Pat Mills was infamously furious about Satanus: Unchained, and editorial promised him they wouldn't reprint it. It led to him writing Blood of Satanus II and III to 'reclaim' the character... I'll let you decide how well that worked out for Satanus' legacy...!
@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

Thanks for the info Jimbo but Blood of Satanus II and III was pretty poor. Still would like to see some MAcNeil painted work again.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.