Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Pan-African Judges vs Atavar - Rd 1 Heat 46

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 December, 2021, 06:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 6 and, brace yourself, we get over the half way marker in Round 1... yes when I said this was the biggest of these things yet I wasn't messing about! We're not even half way... in Round 1... and Round 2 is bigger than Round 1 before you get your hopes up... we're in for the long haul here folks!

Early comics work, from the small body of work that Paul Cornell produced for Tharg, vs relatively early work from the massive body of work produced by Dan Adnett. Some interesting art to reflect on as well.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Pan-African judges - more info

Vs.

Atavar - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 4th December and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

AlexF

PAJ is VERY hard to read - the plot meanders, the well-meaning attempt to portray Africa more accurately than e.g. Book of the Dead still struggles with the fact that it tries to cover massive swathes of the continent, and when the Gods show up I was totally lost. Siku did eventually learn some storytelling, but not here he didn't...

Atavar is mid-low tier Abnett, but it's still coherent and has some fun ideas. Elson's art is not as spectacular as Siku's but he comes up with some gnarly alien/robot/spacesuit designs here.

Atavar, gotta be.

Dark Jimbo

Atavar, one of my favourite Abnett thrills. Where, oh where, is the graphic novel collection?!
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Pan-African Judges really stepped up a gear in the bizarre second series, including a quantum leap in the quality of the artwork. Shame I can't vote for it here.

That said, Atavar is a genuine Top Thrill personal favourite - pure 2000AD Sci-fi genius from the pen of the mighty D. Abnett.

Southstreeter

Atavar. Criminal that only the first two series were collected. I love this thrill.

Blue Cactus

Finding this trickier than I thought. Agree with the above comments about PAJ. But I really enjoyed drinking in Siku's art, especially his colours, at the time and still find it quite a glorious thing to look at, even if the storytelling isn't quite there yet. Enjoyed having Becky Steel around too (that was her name, right) and that wee connection to Armitage.

Atavar... I think I need a reread to be honest. Elson at that point was doing very clear, easy to follow storytelling and some cool design work. I remember this as a decent bit of sci-fi with a pretty satisfying arc. My friend, who doesn't read the weekly, had the graphic novel and asked me to lend him the progs for the final series. He had them for years and never got round to it though so eventually I took them home again. Great anecdote for you all there.

Pan African Judges (although I kind of know Atavar is better really)

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

Colin YNWA

Quite quiet here, I'm in a rush, get ya votes in, count in the morning  and give result... see ya...

JayzusB.Christ

I didn't particularly like either of them, but I'll go for Atavar, because it didn't quote the Dime Bar ad.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Matching scores today, both ended with a quiet 3:9. On that basis you can probably guess

Atavar

is sci-fing its way into round 2.