Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - From Grace vs Night Zero (plus) Rd 1 Heat 54

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 December, 2021, 06:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So we're well into the second half of the 1st Round and stats fans this week sees us cover 14.2% - 16.3% of the tourney over all... oh gosh... I wish I hadn't typed that... I'm sorry...

When I say Night Zero I mean ALL the Zeros - so Night Zero, Beyond Zero and Below Zero - why, oh why didn't it have a nice easy title like 'The Adventures of Tanner' or 'The Pointy Finger Go Kapow' or similar. At least From Grace was nice and self contained!

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

From Grace - more info

Vs.

Night Zero (Beyond + Below) - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 11th December and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Huey2

abelardsnazz

IndigoPrime

Night Zero was a series of cliches, but did that filler thing well. It wins for me over the fleeting From Grace.

Link Prime

A rare moment of reflection this morning, I have a genuine soft spot for both.

I will have to give the nod to From Grace - a tight little fantasy horror by two nascent comic talents on the cusp of greatness.

Dark Jimbo

I don't think From Grace should be punished for being short - it told the story it set out to tell, then bowed out without stretching things any further than they needed to be. Superb art, too - probably Irving's best for Tharg.
@jamesfeistdraws

rogue69

AlexF

Interesting pattern of votes there! I, too, am torn by this. From Grace was short and nasty, but in a good way. Night Zero, on the other hand, was one of the first stories I remember really liking when I stumbled across in in a big read-through marathon, and always felt needed more love. I want more of both sort of thing in the Prog, but my nostlagia self is winning today, so my vote goes to Night Zero.

Barrington Boots

I absolutely love Night Zero and Beyond Zero, even though they're objectively not very good. A recent re-read of them showed them up to me as less good than I remember, but still voting for them here.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Funt Solo

From Grace

I like the Zero series, but it's choppy storytelling. It's like From Grace is a Banksy, and the Zero series is a bunch of tags next to it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 December, 2021, 03:51:41 PM
It's like From Grace is a Banksy, and the Zero series is a bunch of tags next to it.

Possibly the greatest description of the difference between seres ever! ... which isn't to say I agree in this case specifically.