Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Chimpsky’s Law vs Black Light Rd 1 Heat 64

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 December, 2021, 06:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Another strong week here...in week ... scchhh whatever (Week 8 keeping track fans). I mean that's all relative, but for this Round there are some great thrills coming up in this week's tie. I mean sure the normal peppering of dross, but some really strong thrills and for me at least, interesting ties.

Modern thrills have suffered a little in the tourney as we hark back with nostalgic eyes sometimes (Yes yes I'm on about Department K again!)  so it will be interesting to see how Chimpsky fares here. Its up against an early Dan Abnett thrill, which I think doesn't meet the insanely high standards of his recent oeuvre.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Chimpsky's Law - more info

Vs.

Black Light - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 19th December and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Magnetica

I recently re-read Black Light and it had a decent, albeit not very original premise; it then soon descended into cliche.

Objectively Chimpsky is much better, and I'm guessing it will win this easily.

But I'm voting for Black Light.

IndigoPrime

AlexF

Not sure what rules apply here - the one series that ran as Chimpsky's Law was overall my least fave of the Chimpsky stories, it had weird 'solving the problem of slavery' overtones that I'm not sure really worked.
Black Light on the other hand had Emma Paris, a character I've a lot of time for although she didn't get to stick around long enough.

On the other hand, Chimpsky as a character is timeless and delightful, whereas Black Light couldn't be more 'late 90s, and ONLY late 90s' if it tried.

Gonna go with Chimpsky's Law, largely on the strength of Holden.

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Huey2

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Black Light for me guys. Agree with Alex that the only Chimpsky's Law series we've had was the least good Chimpsky, although it looked great. Black Light on the other hand whilst being super 90s is, I think, better than it's generally bad rep, plus John M Burns.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

Black Light wasn't great, but I would sooner re-read it than Chumpski.

Blue Cactus

Love the creative team on Chimpsky but for whatever reason I didn't love the series. Black Light is incredibly of its time. I liked Emma Paris and hoped for a more satisfying arc for her at the time.

Black Light

Funt Solo

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 December, 2021, 01:02:42 PM
Black Light wasn't great, but I would sooner re-read it than Chumpski.

A low blow, sir!

Chimpsky's Law, for me.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard