Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Kingmaker vs. A Love like Blood Round 2 Heat 19

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 February, 2022, 06:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Southstreeter

Kingmaker is slowly losing me. I keep wondering who everyone is and what are they all doing. ALLB was a fine bit of Frazer Irving viciousness.

A Love Like Blood

Magnetica

Kingmaker for me. It's one of the best new thrills.

I got the collected edition of the first two books for about a fiver in the sale in the autumn.

I didn't particularly like Leigh Gallagher's art on Defoe but it's pretty much perfect here.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 February, 2022, 07:46:12 AM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 01 February, 2022, 07:11:40 AM
Kingmaker
I've constantly been pushing/buying 2000AD content at my brother for the past few years. He likes Dredd well enough (the Case Files were a bit daunting for him but he's enjoying the Essential series - I gave him VS Death just on Sunday) but a couple series incluidng Kingdom and Kingmaker have really stuck a chord with him. This vote is for him then!

That is fantastic. I love the fact that your brother has found atypical - if great - strips as the ones that struck a cord. As 2000ad's great strength is its diversity its always a shame we don't here more like this... mind that there Dredd is a bit good as the typical gateway drug of choice.

Ha good analogy, Dredd is like sugar, the gateway drug of MC1 and 2000AD alike! After reading a plethora of Dredd, Strontium Dog etc. his favorite ended up being Rogue Trooper for the classics and Kingmaker & Kingdom for recent thrills...something for everyone indeed.

Link Prime

Kingmaker is decent enough, but I will give the nod to Smitty once more; A Love Like Blood.

Colin YNWA

Busy one this and a bit of a dingdong and while one thrill seems to have taken a confident lead its certainly not all been one way traffic and late votes could swing this. You have today and I'll count and announce in the morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

There was one thrill that took this one by the scruff of the neck. It never quite pulled away entirely as there was a fair amount of love for the other. John Smith always gets support, rightly as he's a genius but Love like Blood was one of his less successful efforts. So its little surprise on of the new batch of series that keep the Prog vital drove through to get the result and

Kingmaker

fights off the vampires and werewolves to make it into Round 3.

sintec

Darn just finished A Love Like Blood in the UC last night - if I'd got up earlier I might have just had time to sneak in a vote. Not that it would have changed anything as I'd have gone for Kingmaker. A Love Like Blood is good and Irving's art is suitably horrible but it does feel very compressed with the ending landing before it's really established it's world and characters. The current series of Kingmaker is loosing me a little but like the previous ones I suspect it'll read better in the trade.