Main Menu

Sideshow Vote: Halo Jones vs The Out

Started by broodblik, 03 February, 2022, 01:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 February, 2022, 09:12:19 AM
But it's a testimony to The Out that we are even having this conversation. But for me it's not even Dan Abnett's best strip. I prefer Brink and Feral & Foe.

There's a good idea for another of these 'Sideshow Votes' (love that title by the way!) - whats everyone's favourite current Dabnett series?

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 February, 2022, 10:32:58 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 04 February, 2022, 09:12:19 AM
But it's a testimony to The Out that we are even having this conversation. But for me it's not even Dan Abnett's best strip. I prefer Brink and Feral & Foe.

There's a good idea for another of these 'Sideshow Votes' (love that title by the way!) - whats everyone's favourite current Dabnett series?

I will run with that as soon as we are tired of worshipping AM and DA
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 03 February, 2022, 04:33:35 PM
The potential is limitless, and Abnett has, to my mind, already proven himself to be a far better comics storyteller than even Moore was in his prime.

SBT

Now there's a bold statement.   Can't say I agree, but Dabnett is a fine writer.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 February, 2022, 10:45:18 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 03 February, 2022, 04:33:35 PM
The potential is limitless, and Abnett has, to my mind, already proven himself to be a far better comics storyteller than even Moore was in his prime.

SBT

Now there's a bold statement.   Can't say I agree, but Dabnett is a fine writer.

It is bold but you know what I'd be tempted to agree. Alan Moore 'suffers' from being defining. So much of what he did was so good that it helps define what folks think of as good as its difficult to get a clear view. I think comic writing has moved on and folks have learnt as developed from Moore and in a few cases have surpassed him.

Now specifically when it comes to storytelling I thing Dabnett has learnt to craft a story better than Alan Moore. Alan Moore is all about the layering, the weaving themes and ideas through story. When it comes to telling a smart, incisive story, satisfying I would dare to suggest Dabentt is better (I may regret this in the morning and I've not put loads of thought into this!).

Alan Moore is The Beatles, we should celebrate and adore him. We should love and return to his work time and again. We shouldn't however put him in such a pedistal as to think no one can better him, or evenn has bettered him, all be if by learning from what he did. I mean folks can come to that conclusion, that no on has, the danger is going in with that assumption.

credo

One of the reasons early (2000ad, Warrior, Marvel UK) Moore is so good is that you still get a sense of him finding his own tropes. Even though his major works for each of those early publishers include many of the things people complain about in later Moore, there's just less of a sense of him doing him.

There's probably much the same argument to be made about Pat Mills, or any band where you get a sense that they almost become their own tribute act.

PS: As a collection only reader, The Out sounds fascinating. Any idea if there are plans for a collection?

Colin YNWA

AlexF

A hard choice, hard as any in the Tourney proper.
Harrions's art in The Out is more sophisticated, with a LOT more going on in the background, but I've a real soft spot for Ian Gibson's work, and especially in Book 3 he really does tickle the emotions in a special way, he brings a lot of weight.
On balance, based on what has been told so far, I'm going with Halo Jones as marginally 'better'. As Funt said, the character(s) are a touch more sympathetic, the sitaution just a little more accesible and, frankyl, some of the basic storytelling is just easier to follow in Halo Jones and I value that a lot. Some of the big ideas in the Out, though, are giving me more to chew on, and that's no small thing, to out-imagination Alan Moore...

paddykafka

wedgeski

I can't vote against Halo, I just can't. Despite how much I'm enjoying Dabnett's work, Halo is *the* intrinsic through-line in my comics journey.

Halo Jones

Mardroid

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 03 February, 2022, 09:09:04 PM
i'm glad that halo jones ended so perfectly where it did.
(just like, in my universe, swamp thing finished forever with issue 64, return of the good gumbo, in 1987).

i love the out. but many of us wouldn't even be reading it and thinking about it in the ways we do if there hadn't been a halo jones.

Good point. While I'd have loved to (and still would like to) read further adventures of Halo Jones, I think the ending we got, even if it wasn't intended to be an ending at the time, worked very well.

At the moment, I'll vote The Ballad of Halo Jones. I like the Out a lot though. I don't think there really needs to be a favourite, as they're different enough.

oshii

The Out for me.  It's been the most surprising, unpredictable thrill in a long time.  It can, and does go anywhere.  It's grown in scope and scale every week.

Only Book 3 of Halo was a true classic for me (Gibson's art was never better) but it felt like things were just getting started, and the real story hadn't yet started.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 February, 2022, 10:53:41 AM
Alan Moore is The Beatles ...

Now this is potentially the best analogy going. Considering that the Beatles were a skiffle band that made it big, morphed a couple of times before imploding ...

Moore produced a handful of Tooth strips [Jones, Quinch, Future Shocks] before scooching off to DC.  Granted V for Vendetta straddles those periods.  Even so, his output this side of the Atlantic is not overwhelming.  Again, we come back to Colin's analogy ...

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 February, 2022, 12:53:59 AM
Moore produced a handful of Tooth strips [Jones, Quinch, Future Shocks] before scooching off to DC.

And a significant chunk of memorable Time Twisters, and Skizz.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Some very interesting points and views. Although the classic is garnering most of the votes the classic in the making surely has our respect and love. The most common view is just give it time it has the protentional too be enough grater than you know who.

Now let's call it a day by Tuesday morning but to be honest at this stage I cannot see the one in the making surpassing the one already there.

PS – For me personally Halo Jones is still AM's greatest work yes even better than Watchmen.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.