Main Menu

What should be collected?

Started by broodblik, 06 March, 2022, 12:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Another vote from me for a complete Sinister collection comprising everything to do with these characters. Maybe one day...

rogue69

American Reaper. And if no collection how about a new series?

Clint Langley & Pat Mills own this story but at the moment they are more interested in getting i turned into a movie rather than having it collected

The Corinthian

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rogue Judge

There are things Rogue Trooper related I haven't read that I would like to if collected. Hunted looks good, and would I be wrong asking for Friday Rogue Trooper to be collected? I really liked the War Machine TPB and I've seen some Ron Smith Friday artwork that makes me want to read the rest.

Also, sign me up for that Johnny Red collection. And while I'm voting, how about  nice hardback collected of Strontium Dog (Rebellion published hardback, in the vein of the Starlord collection).

Barrington Boots

Quote from: broodblik on 06 March, 2022, 03:13:23 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 06 March, 2022, 02:56:14 PM
Personally I'd quite like a collected Night Zero / Beyond Zero / Below Zero.

It has been collected as a floppy in the meg
Night Zero meg 338
Beyond Zero meg 340
Below Zero - not been collected

Ah yes, but I want a collection of all three. Suspect I could be the only person who wants this though..

Surely a complete SinDex would be the size of one of those huge books evil wizards read from in cheap 1980s fantasy films.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 07 March, 2022, 05:50:42 AMwould I be wrong asking for Friday Rogue Trooper to be collected? I really liked the War Machine TPB and I've seen some Ron Smith Friday artwork that makes me want to read the rest.

The Ron Smith art is as nice as you'd expect, but he wasn't really a great fit for the strip and all the Fleisher-scripted stuff is... not great, putting it mildly. ISTR they gave Mark Millar a go at some point, and that was, well, pretty much what you'd expect from 2000AD-era Mark Millar.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 07 March, 2022, 05:50:42 AMThere are things Rogue Trooper related I haven't read that I would like to if collected. Hunted looks good, and would I be wrong asking for Friday Rogue Trooper to be collected? I really liked the War Machine TPB and I've seen some Ron Smith Friday artwork that makes me want to read the rest.
I'd probably stop at that point. War Machine was an objectively solid one-off. What followed was varying degrees of awful. Some of the Rob Smith art was fine, but, like Jim, I didn't think he was a good fit. The scripts during that era were varying degrees of poor. Then everything got mashed into the original continuity with a fork. That wasn't much cop either, despite some interesting early Henry Flint art. To my mind, the Rogue universe only really kicked back into gear when it wasn't current (some of Rennie's flashbacks were good), when he wasn't there (Jaegir), and when another one of 'him' was the lead (the surprisingly great Tor Cyan). The lack of full reprint of the last of those in the Hachette volume was a great shame—a mis-step, IMO.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 March, 2022, 09:41:53 AM
To my mind, the Rogue universe only really kicked back into gear when it wasn't current (some of Rennie's flashbacks were good)

Some of those were excellent. Top notch art from (if memory serves) Mike Collins and Staz Johnson inked by David Roach (I think?) that really channelled the feel of the early Dave Gibbons work.

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 March, 2022, 09:51:24 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 March, 2022, 09:41:53 AM
To my mind, the Rogue universe only really kicked back into gear when it wasn't current (some of Rennie's flashbacks were good)

Some of those were excellent. Top notch art from (if memory serves) Mike Collins and Staz Johnson inked by David Roach (I think?) that really channelled the feel of the early Dave Gibbons work.

Yes those where solid and quite good.

I am still one of those suckers who would like a complete Friday (and Junker :))
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 March, 2022, 08:54:11 AM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 07 March, 2022, 05:50:42 AMwould I be wrong asking for Friday Rogue Trooper to be collected? I really liked the War Machine TPB and I've seen some Ron Smith Friday artwork that makes me want to read the rest.

The Ron Smith art is as nice as you'd expect, but he wasn't really a great fit for the strip and all the Fleisher-scripted stuff is... not great, putting it mildly. ISTR they gave Mark Millar a go at some point, and that was, well, pretty much what you'd expect from 2000AD-era Mark Millar.

The only Millar RT I remember is the one about aliens torturing POWs that appeared in a sci-fi special (which felt more like a Bad Company story than RT). It's collected in one of the Rogue Trooper phone books.

It's not an enjoyable read.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 06 March, 2022, 12:33:40 PM

- New Statesmen

Good shout.

I suppose that there's nothing 'classic' left from the Prog or Meg that hasn't yet been reprinted, but I would definitely purchase collections of certain series that I have a personal soft spot for - along the lines of Bix Barton, Armoured Gideon, Brigand Doom etc.

The holy grail for this 44 year old fan would be complete collections of the short lived Scream series - additional material from the specials included.

Feck, I would buy facsimile editions of each individual issue, at whatever price they were charging.

sintec

The Monarch

so whats the deal with the dd corportation sitting on their non dare eagle stuff? could they not like maybe make a deal to make some of that stuff availible. I would not mind reading a collected computer warrior for example though that may have its own legal hurdles maybe?

also sonic the comic collections....i would sell my kidney for those.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i wish the wildcat collections could have been completed. the stories were rather poor and pulpy and naive - which i don't mind in my comics, and which i think they were supposed to be, anyway - but much of the art was truly brilliant.