Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Droid Life vs. The Returners Round 2 Heat 66

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 March, 2022, 06:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 9 and it might be the excitement wearing off, or just exhaustion with the relentless nature of all this but this week is a little weak. By a quick count only two of the thrills here were in the Premier league entrants who passed straight into Round 2. That said it's the lesser thrills, those that cause you to stretch the Thrill Bank to remember that these early rounds are designed for. So let's embrace these lesser lights and discuss things that are otherwise consigned to the past.

The Returners reward working with it and it's a thrill that has depth and lovely art, even if its not for everyone. Droid Life, well lives and breathes in whether you think it lands the gag.

Droid Life - more info

Vs

The Returners - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 17th March  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Huey2

abelardsnazz

IndigoPrime

Droid Life cheers me whenever it's in the Prog. The Returners deserves a re-read, but it wasn't a strip that ever really sparked for me over in the Meg. So Droid Life wins it.

Magnetica

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Honestly, the latest Droid Life was a bit poor, which is a shame. As gag strips go, I'd say it's actively funny well over 50% of the time, which is about as good as any such strip manages. Very hard to compare it against an actual story.

Gosh, how to weigh up Si Spencer's best strip, with gorgeous art and 100 weird ideas, coupled with a confusing plot, against a workplace comedy 2000AD pun machine. I suppose on one level Spencer is also a punsmith, which even shows up in the Returners with that 'elephant in the room' gag. So maybe on that basis I'm voting Droid Life for its commitment to dreaming up outrageous excuses for obscure 2000AD story jokes.

rogue69

Dash Decent

Droid Life

"Cover me!  I'm going for a whizz!"
"Does everything have to be so drokking thrilling around here?"
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richard

Things like Droid Life and Captain Klep shouldn't be up against regular strips, it's hardly fair!

Although then again, I am actually going to vote for Droid Life, so maybe not.

Droid Life