Main Menu

Battle Action Special 2022

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 08 June, 2022, 10:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Only three stories in but I must say it's great so far. I used to really, really hate Garth Ennis when he took over Dredd, but my grud, he's a fine writer these days.

Weirdly meta approach to Kids Rule OK but it works very well, and Dredger is Billy Butcher all over again, in a good way.  Things are just as violent as they used to be but the bit of swearing and sexual references mean that this isn't for the age group the originals were aimed at.

Looking forward to the rest.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

I found the Battle Action special to be an excellent comic. Any one whom loves War comics or where fans of the defunct Battle Action must get this. So yes, go and get this do not wait just do it.

My favorite story was Crazy Keller. I never ever read a story about this, but I really enjoyed this one. It has some great humor and very over-the-top violence, but the combination just worked wonderfully.

The Johnny Red was excellent as well but one thing that created a little confusion was the communication with the different pilots in the air. You have to keep your head to understand if it is either Falcons squad or the German pilots talking to each other. Keith Burns draws an excellent strip here.

Another excellent strip was the Nina Petrova strip. Great art by Patrick Goddard. This was just a great story nothing special but well executed. Great spin-off from the world of Johnny Red.

As with the Nina story the Hellman story was very entertaining and well told. I can remember that I never liked Mike Dorey's art in the prog but here his art is great and works well with the strip.

Dredger was another off those over-the-top violent stories. John Higgins and Sally Hurst art combination worked wonders for the strip. This one felt very much like the classic stories of the 80s.

The Sarge strip was not bad, but it tried to almost tell the story more like a history lesson than a straight-out war story. PJ's art as always is fantastic.

Now this is the one that just did not work for me and that is the Kids Rule Ok strip. I did not really like it even Kevin's art did nothing for me. The story is more like a reflection on why Action failed. I wanted a story not a lecture.

A great addition to all the stories was the intro before the main story started. This was excellently done.

Now the last question how we do we get this on a more regular basis? Come on Rebellion lets get a monthly Battle Action, pretty please with some sugar on top.

Overall, 6 out of 7 story-wise. Percentage wise this will get a 91,99% excellence award

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

On order and hopefully awaiting me at my arrival at Huff Mansions tonight!
DDT did a job on me

Leigh S

No copy of this in SMmiths in Brum

are the copies in the wild ordered direct from Rebellion?

Richard

They're not in Forbidden Planet, London. They're in Gosh! Comics on a high shelf where customers can see but not reach them, because they're not actually going to start selling them until Saturday for some event (a signing I suppose). The website only has the John Higgins cover but I want the other one. Fuck it, I'll wait a month then look on eBay.

Leigh S

yeah,  I looked in both Nostalgia (which doesnt seem to stock any Rebellion magazines any more) and FP, which had had a sort around and again, couldnt find any mags. 

did manage to get the Monster Fun Summmer Special from SMiths though

broodblik

I see the non-webstore exclusive version is also sold out on the webstore you can still get the webstore exclusive version from the webstore

Richard

Tomwe

Got my copy today- it's a thing to behold! I got the Higgins cover, looks awesome IRL esp with the spot varnish.

Swerty

Lovely stuff.All we need is a Monster Fun Annual now

oshii

There's 10 pound difference in the price between the Webstore version and non-webstore one.

Is the only difference the cover?  No additional material with the Webstore one?   Will go with the non exclusive one if so.

broodblik

Quote from: oshii on 11 June, 2022, 02:12:24 PM
There's 10 pound difference in the price between the Webstore version and non-webstore one.

Is the only difference the cover?  No additional material with the Webstore one?   Will go with the non exclusive one if so.

It is only the cover that is different

Tjm86

Quote from: Richard on 09 June, 2022, 07:09:18 PM
They're in Gosh! Comics on a high shelf where customers can see but not reach them, because they're not actually going to start selling them until Saturday for some event (a signing I suppose).

They are.  You can preorder them from Gosh! Comics.  That's the option I've gone for.  Same with the new Luthor Arkwright.  It was a bit of a close call as I'd rather have the Dark Horse edition than the Jonathan Cape one that we seem to be having now.  Having a signed Bookplate edition sealed it though.

Mind you, given how the pound is tanking at the moment, I'm not completely surprised that the US edition is less likely over here.

oshii

Quote from: broodblik on 11 June, 2022, 02:34:42 PM
Quote from: oshii on 11 June, 2022, 02:12:24 PM

It is only the cover that is different

Thanks