Main Menu

Star Wars: Andor

Started by Jim_Campbell, 21 September, 2022, 10:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Usual deal applies here, I think. Expect spoilers for everything aired and avoid the thread if you haven't watched the latest episode. I'm going to spoiler-tag my comments below (even though there are no real spoilers in there) but after that it's fair game. You have been warned!

[spoiler]I'm not sure about the near-universal praise I've seen for this. I've watched the first three episodes, and I understand why they dumped the first three on Day One: because basically fuck-all happens in the first two episodes.

Don't get me wrong — the whole thing looks great and the actors are all excellent. But the first two episodes are barely twenty minutes of plot spread out over eighty minutes. You're going to have to stick with it, because episode three is actually pretty good but, honestly, getting there is a slog. There are still a few "Wait? What?!" illogicalities, but I've resigned myself to those in most modern TV.

It's a handsome show, with a brilliant cast, which I hope will finally get to shine from Ep4 onwards...[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

I liked it a lot. But it's not really Star Wars. (Whatever that is)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

[spoiler]Bladerunner[/spoiler] (even down to the diegetic music), followed by [spoiler]Wall-E[/spoiler] with a bit of [spoiler]Lieutenant Gorman[/spoiler] (though that character is quickly changing).  We loved it.

The Legendary Shark

I'm loving this take on the SW universe.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

I really enjoyed episode #1 - a Star Wars spin-off that stands on its own two feet.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

wedgeski

I agree it takes too long to get off-planet, but on the plus side, the setting is given some real room to breathe. There's also a refreshing 'everyman' feel to the characters since [spoiler]we haven't yet gotten into any of that pesky Rebellion backdrop[/spoiler]. And of course it looks and sounds fantastic, which quite frankly, when you're in the Star Wars universe, is often enough to hold the attention.

Tiplodocus

The corporate stooge villain is really good too. Unusually nuanced for this sort of thing (especially his reaction to the ass kicking his team received)

Funt Solo

Like a cross between Agent Cooper (standing in for Gorman) and the marines being handed their asses in Aliens. Really enjoyed the payoff in the third episode.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

judgeurko

Great production values, but I just don't care about the character or story.

Radbacker

Slow first couple of episodes but I'm liking it so far. 
Main problem I have is we know Andor [spoiler]dies!!!!![/spoiler]

New season of Rick and Morty has been hitting it out of the park so far 2 for 2 and watching ep3 tonight

Shulkie is pretty good despite a complete lack of overall bad guy or story ark you usually get in these Marvel shows (which honestly is what they were going for).

CU Radbacker

Radbacker

Shit sorry just ignore second part of my post I thought this was box set thread 🫣

CU

Jim_Campbell

I thought the latest episode was fantastic. Stellan Skarsgård's transformation from gruff, behind-the-scenes, insurrection facilitator to Coruscant high society antiques dealer was worth the price of admission alone.

There was a lot more to like here, though. The pace is picking up, the plot thickening, and the scope expanding. Genuinely pretty excited for the next episode.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, really enjoying. I think of it as a sideways glance at Star Wars.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 September, 2022, 07:59:46 PM
I thought the latest episode was fantastic. Stellan Skarsgård's transformation from gruff, behind-the-scenes, insurrection facilitator to Coruscant high society antiques dealer was worth the price of admission alone.

Yes, I thought that was a great bit - if I'd blinked during the wig-on-getting-in-to-character scene then I'd have thought it was an entirely different character (I'm not overly familiar with the actor in the first place).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 30 September, 2022, 09:47:11 AM
I'd have thought it was an entirely different character

The little practice smile is just perfect.

Quote(I'm not overly familiar with the actor in the first place).

He's had a lonnnng career, but probably most likely to have crossed geek/nerd radar as Orlando Bloom's dad (under a lot of CGI) in a couple of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, recurring MCU character Erik Selvig, and Vladimir Harkonnen in Villeneuve's Dune.