Main Menu

10 Greatest Judge Dredd Comics Of All Time?

Started by rogue69, 14 November, 2022, 08:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Very nicely put Leigh. Better people than I have written about Big Dave, but the idea that it was too clever for everyone is absolutely insane and the less said about his comments about being homophobic to highlight homophobia the better.

The stuff about working class and punk I found esepcially hubristic. I was part of the punk/metal scene at the time he was talking about and it was doing great thank you very much. He was there listening to the fucking Smiths or the Shamen or whatever and saw himself as superior and some great cultural saviour? Do one.

The maddest thing about is that when I was in my early 20s I was a bellend, full of arrogance that I knew best about stuff, and also thought going on about drinking loads of beer was cool, and that's the kind of energy I can see in Big Dave. To still be acting like that now, boasting about how many drugs you did and how cool you were, seems very immature (the irony of calling someone immature on a forum where I've expressed my love for Battle and Buster comics is not lost however)

Anyway.

Did we ever have a list of the 10 worst Judge Dredd comics of all time? Because I'm fairly sure Dredd vs Predator would be around that discussion.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 November, 2022, 10:59:13 AM
Did we ever have a list of the 10 worst Judge Dredd comics of all time? Because I'm fairly sure Dredd vs Predator would be around that discussion.

The bottom ten would easily include Crusade and Purgatory/Inferno, both of which were written by Grant Morrison.

...which ties the two parts of this thread together nicely.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: gogilesgo on 17 November, 2022, 01:14:24 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 November, 2022, 10:59:13 AM

The bottom ten would easily include Crusade and Purgatory/Inferno, both of which were written by Grant Morrison.

...which ties the two parts of this thread together nicely.

I think Purgatory was Millar on his own? Either way, your point stands  - they are terrible.

Funt Solo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 November, 2022, 05:45:02 PM
Is Morrison gay?

Well, according to the interview, yes, but also doesn't like labels. There is an argument of holding a mirror up to things that are somehow part of one's experience. Is Spinal Tap offensive to rockers? Is that hilarious farmer sketch offensive to farmers?

It's a bit difficult to get offended by Little Britain - because it's not like they were setting out to deliberately hurt anyone. I don't enjoy Big Dave, because it feels too blunt-force-trauma, but it doesn't seem like Grant was setting out to try and promote Dave's world view. He states exactly the opposite.

With hindsight, I don't think sub-par Viz-isms have a place in the GGC. At the time, I did chortle at it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lawman of the Present

Quote from: gogilesgo on 17 November, 2022, 01:14:24 PMThe bottom ten would easily include Crusade and Purgatory/Inferno, both of which were written by Grant Morrison.

Inferno certainly isn't the smartest of plots, though it's close to comedy gold in parts....

- A few thousand convicts across 15 ships escape Titan
- Grice's melted hand magically heals before reaching Earth
- Ship crash destroys nuke-proof HoJ and fewer convicts than the population of a single citi-block take over a city of 400mil cits armed to the teeth
- Virus spreads across the entirety of MC-1 instantly
- Judges are dying from the virus and flee in H-Wagons over the west wall
- Dredd sneaks back in with ease, goes down after two hits
- Judges forget a) they chose to flee, b) they flew over the wall, c) Dredd got back in easily. They're now 'trapped' outside
- Statue of Justice smashes a hole in the wall. Judges who flew over the top are now free, forget they're dying and do what they could've done in the first place
- Grice reflects on 'all those years on Titan' - actually about 17 months
- Dredd ships the inmates back to Titan colony, which no longer exists, then blows them out of the sky anyway

rogue69

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 November, 2022, 05:45:02 PM
Is Morrison gay?

Grant Morrison is married but uses the term "them/they" and Morrison has said that they "had been non-binary, cross-dressing, 'gender queer'", from the age of 10 years old but now rejects any labels

JohnW

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 17 November, 2022, 07:26:57 PM

Inferno certainly isn't the smartest of plots, though it's close to comedy gold in parts....

- A few thousand convicts across 15 ships escape Titan
- Ship crash destroys nuke-proof HoJ and fewer convicts than the population of a single citi-block take over a city of 400mil cits armed to the teeth
- Virus spreads across the entirety of MC-1 instantly
- Judges are dying from the virus and flee in H-Wagons over the west wall
- Dredd sneaks back in with ease, goes down after two hits
- Judges forget a) they chose to flee, b) they flew over the wall, c) Dredd got back in easily. They're now 'trapped' outside
- Statue of Justice smashes a hole in the wall. Judges who flew over the top are now free, forget they're dying and do what they could've done in the first place
- Grice reflects on 'all those years on Titan' - actually about 17 months
- Dredd ships the inmates back to Titan colony, which no longer exists, then blows them out of the sky anyway
Either you have a phenomenal memory, or you managed to read Inferno more than once.
Either way, I salute you.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Jim_Campbell

- Statue of Justice which is on the East Coast smashes a hole in the wall on the Western border of MC-1.

That's a fuckin' big statue, or MC-1 actually only occupies a strip about 900ft wide down the Eastern coast of the US.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 November, 2022, 08:23:59 PM
Or there's more than one Statue of Justice.

That's never been mentioned before, or since. Or been visible in any story that's involved the West Wall in any way. Maybe there's only one Statue of Justice, but it goes on tour...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Or... maybe it got possessed by (insert pseudoscientific xenodimensional entity here) and wandered over to the West Wall because Anderson ordered it to in a yet-to-be-told tale.

It's Mega City One, there could be dozens of copies, I guess. The Justice Department's hubris might just stretch to such lengths.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 November, 2022, 08:23:59 PM

Or there's more than one Statue of Justice.

It's a conspiracy! j/k

Although, I like the idea that MC-1 does take up the space originally depicted in the old maps, but it's just a repeating clone of itself - so there are multiple Statues, Dredds, Psi-Divs etc. It's all to do with some trans-dimensional curse (probably from Murg), and all the other cities just grin and bear it when Dredd787 turns up and claims to the *real* Dredd from the *real* MC-1.

Morrison's logic is, naturally, very self-serving. On the one hand, he was rescuing 2000 AD from an out-of-touch old guard that needed a shake-up, and on the other hand he hadn't got a clue what 2000 AD was about because he never read it. And off we go in Morrison-circles, possibly to other planets. There's a certain kind of over-toked, affluent Scottish-ness that really grates. The kind of person that pretends not to know what the word "job" means. Sing along with the common people.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 November, 2022, 11:20:34 PM

It's a conspiracy!

Damn right. Justice Department's setting up fake statues of judgement all over the city to hide which one really houses the PSU. It's run by the Shadow Division and known as Operation Perplexing Erections. Everybody knows that...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GoGilesGo

Link Prime

Hard to argue with any of those face palms - except this one.

Grice's hand was physically protected by hate.
HATE.