Main Menu

Thoughts on collecting 2000AD again...

Started by Redlantern 2051, 25 October, 2003, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Actually, rather than doing a mega-epic to resurrect Alpha (and I'm perfectly happy with the way things are at present - the flashbacks are just fine), why not just print a one page photo of an angry Carlos, screaming that very line, then start with a story set in 2188...

Noisybast

That's the best post I've read *anywhere* in ages!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

maryanddavid

an excellent idea, treat the final solution as an 'elseworld' type story, a possible future, which j dredd is an other possible future of s dog

paulvonscott

By saying it's an elseworlds story you are saying it's real.  Best just to label it a mild curio or you get into that whole parallel worlds bullshit.

Redlantern 2051

Bur isn't it already accepted that in 2000AD, especially in regards to SDog and Judge Dredd, its parallel worlds? Or is Alpha's world in the future??

maryanddavid

i think so,red razors is set inaround the same time as stronty, but its a different world, the explantion was that both stories were possible futures of dredds world.iirc nemisis and the abc warriors are also possible futures,with satanus been plucked out of the cursed earth by thoth,(and also a judge to feed him!)garth ennis also killed off johnny in a strontium dogs story, and the gronk put him out of his misery.

Devons Daddy

i often wonder how it would have been here if this site had been around when they killed johhny off?

i am sure we would have demanded thargs head here.
but johhnys back and as far as im concerned thats what counts.

by the way. red lantern. welcome back. stick with it. trust us. the last two years or so have been awsome.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Steamboy

you all make my head hurt!!!!! ;)
only caught the end of the final solution in some of my backies didnt mind McNeils art, never saw Harrisons work on it but didn't mind his Bradly stuff. Welcome back Red, U 3 or 4 weeks ahead of me, now only up to 1353.

CU Krestel

Redlantern 2051

Yep I remember that episode of Nemesis...CLASSIC. Nemesis is the far, far, far future tho isn't it? S Dogs always feels a bit closer to home...

Dunk!

For me the joy of the recent series, which has highlighted why a classic character gains such status, has been the much-missed banter between Johnny and Wulf. Johnny became very driven and one dimensional after Wulfs demise; which worked for the duration of Rage but left him with nowhere to go afterwards (hence his death I presume?). Dredd and Alpha at their best are like forces of nature; their presence pushes the story along and gives it drama, but they are nothing without their support characters to add depth and in many cases humour.

Who?s left to give Johnny some much-needed company?

Gronk ? Didn?t he go all Rambo sometime back; in a period I see as 2000ad?s lost years. J
Feral ? So memorable that I can only envision his look and no personality or stories relating to him; come to think of it he helped ?Rambo? the Gronk.
Durham Red ? lives in the future and good riddance.
Middenface McNulty  - Great character but not sidekick material.

So if Alpha were to make a legit comeback (The Final solution being explained away/revised/brushed into the black hole of bad tooth decay with other abominations) who would help flesh out the stories?

Much as I would love to see him back for real part of me thinks leaving him dead is the best option.
"Trust we"

Redlantern 2051

Maybe the return story could bring them both back!! But yeh I agree with you-Rage (and the prequel) was an awesome story, but it did mean the end for Wulf, sadly. I don't have the real answer. But if I was Wagner and going to bring back Johnny to real-time, it might be tempting to bring Wulf back with him. I know thats a controversial statement, but I know exactly how you feel.

Dudley

I have to say I have very mixed feelings about bringing back Alpha.  It could be done any number of ways of course (alternate universe, genetic resurrection, time travel, magic trick, Dallas), BUT.
1) I really like the fact that 2000AD has killed off at least 1 major character.  It just adds to the danger - and means that even Dredd will die, so much preferable to "we have a way to make you younger".
2) Whatever you pull, the idea of bringing him back after making him very definitely dead (twice) will leave a stain on the strip.
3) Rogue Trooper.
4) I'd far rather 2000AD continued to create new long runners of the quality of Dante, Calaballalaistics etc.  The constant death-and-return of Slaine, ABC Warriors and now Durham Red just strikes me as avoiding the hard work.

I know the nineties get a very bad press on this board, and that's at least 85% justified.  But one thing I'd definitely put on the good side of that equation is the fact that there were a lot of new characters, a lot of which had a definite shelf-life and wouldn't just turn into another long string of sequels.

paulvonscott

I think Wulf is best left dead to be honest.  It was such a great story.  I think there is a big gap with Johnny Alpha once Wulf's gone, but bring him back isn't the answer.

Redlantern 2051

Interesting thoughts Dudley...ehat do you mean by Rogue Trooper?? I think rogue was GREAT as an original character but rebooting him thru Friday just seemed lame. Maybe Rogue had reached the end of his natural life, but Friday just seemed wrong. They went thru a phase where everything seemed to be changed at once. I've only just come back on board so I can't comment on the death-return of ABC Warriors (I loved those guys) and Slaine, but I'm looking forward to see what's coming next. All in all, its a good time to be a 2000AD fan, thats how I feel.

Oddboy

I'd be against bringing Alpha 'back from the dead'

Quite happy with his flashback stories.
BUT if Wagner wants to do it, (and do it WELL) then I'm okay with that.
Better set your phaser to stun.