General Chat > Creative Common

Self Publishing Fanzines

(1/3) > >>

Rio De Fideldo:
I was just wondering if any those of you who know about this sort of thing could point me in the direction of any resources on the net or would care to answer some questions.

Anytime I type in Self Publishing on Google it comes up with a lot of US sites and mention of Diamond Distribution, something which doesn't seem very applicable.

The sort of things I'd like to know is:

How much is the printing of a 2000ad sized periodical likely to cost?

How many issues is a realistic number for a first issue?

Do you produce the magazine in a computer publishing programme and give this to the printer or do you give them original art work?

I'm sure there are more questions/advice that I can't think of at the minute. Any help would be very gratefully received.

stront692:
if u wanted it printed professionally (to look like 2000AD then find a small printer, the less u tell them the better or they will basically take your cover price per issue but it can be 1000s pounds)

try and get a quote for their lowest amount and then bargain down by ordering more

(this is where previews and advance orders come in useful, although an advert in previews wil cost u 1000s as well)

Dudley:
I don't - and since there are a few self-publishers onsite I imagine you're going to get some good advice.  

But I'd also suggest going to Smallzone (linked below): it's got a great selection of self-published comics, but more importantly it sells a couple of guides to self-publishing that sound like they cover everything you're asking about.Link: http://www.smallzone.co.uk/

W. R. Logan:

>The sort of things I'd like to know is:

>How much is the printing of a 2000ad sized periodical likely to cost?

B&W 32 A4 pages is gonna cost you anything between ?500 - ?1000 depending on the quality of the paper etc.

>How many issues is a realistic number for a first issue?

Your average fanzine 100, unless your lucky and get in to 500?s.

>Do you produce the magazine in a computer publishing programme and give this to the printer or do you give them original art work?

Can be both, I did original art and high quality print outs for the text & feature pages.

>I'm sure there are more questions/advice that I can't think of at the minute.

If you can?t afford to lose the money don?t print, photocopy. That way you can produce as many as needed and always produce more. If you print that?s it and you may end up with a pile of mags you cant get rid of.

If you want to print find a local printer or two and go and see them, talk about what you want, paper quality etc and get more than one quote and get them to show you something they?ve done with similar paper and at the sort of settings your mag will be produced at.

Once again, and this is the first thing I say to anyone who wants to print, if you cant afford to write the money off if it doesn?t sell, ?Don?t do it!?

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

paulvonscott:
A lot of good points from Logan there.

Basically start small, through laser printing or photocopying.  Get lots of quotes, work out how you are going to get it printed before you start on the comic.

Worry more about the contents than fancy printing.

Usually you'll just need some DTP software to put the comic together, for computer lettering etc. you'd need illustrator.

Aim to make a bit of profit on each issue and you'll possibly break even ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version