Main Menu

Graphics tablet

Started by Neil McClements, 11 May, 2011, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil McClements

Hi all

I'm looking for some solid recommendations for a graphics tablet. I willing to entertain any suggestions especially any mid range cost models.

Also hoping someone can provide pros/cons with regards to sizes.

Thanks in advance.

radiator

This subject tends to come up a lot - and I always suggest; get a Wacom tablet. They are the only serious tablet manufacturer. There are other brands out there, but I would avoid them like the plague.

I believe the Bamboo is a good, relatively cheap model, but if you can stretch to it, go for an Intuos. I'd suggest you look for a second hand Intuos3, as I'm no great fan of the Intuos4 (the current model) because it has a rough drawing surface that wears down nibs scarily quickly and loads of (imo) useless bells and whistles.

As for size, I'd go for a5 or a4 but definitely no bigger. If you have a small monitor get an a5, get an a4 for a bigger monitor. The benefits of a larger tablet are obvious, but they also require you to move your arm around a lot more than an a5, which can be a pain and you may well end up setting it to only use part of the tablet surface... An a5 should do you fine for most purposes - I'd only recommend getting an a4 model if you are a serious/professional artist/photoshopper and/or have a large (25"+) monitor.

CrazyFoxMachine

Neil McClements

Thanks Radiator.

I did have a quick mooch around the previous posts but some are over 3 years old and I'd have thought things would have changed by now.

I must admit I'd been looking at the large Intuos 4, I might to have a bit more of a think on this. Any other suggestions anybody.

radiator

QuoteI must admit I'd been looking at the large Intuos 4, I might to have a bit more of a think on this.

A warning: I might have mentioned it in one of the other threads, but I have two Intuos4s - one at work, one at home - and I have covered the drawing surface of each of them with a sheet of clear plastic. I did this because I was so infuriated with the wear on the nibs due to the rougher surface of the Intuos4. Seriously, you can see visible flattening on a nib even after an hour or two of use. Desperate measures but I'm fucked if I'm buying a new pack of nibs every week or two. If I was being cynical I'd suggest that this was deliberate on Wacom's part - and is intended to create a new revenue stream out of replacement nibs...

There's a rather epic thread about it here on the Wacom forums - where you can see that Wacom are being total dicks about the whole thing.

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1438

Apparently newer models of the Intuos4s come with a smoother drawing surface but as far as I know the problem is far from solved.

The Intuos3 on the other hand, is/was a perfect tablet - they have long been discontinued, but if I could have bought one of those new, then I would have.

LARF

I have had an Intuos3 now for over four years and it is one of the best products I have ever purchased. Mines the A5 version and Radiator is correct that's really all you need. I've got a 27" monitor at work and it's perfect with that for sweeping sketches and tighter detail. Lovely bit of kit. If you can pick one up on Ebay, snap it up.

On another note I'm looking at a Cintiq 21 at the moment, Radiator you had any experience of these - are they any good?

LARF

Have a look on Ebay:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=intuos3&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Quite a few going on here, as you can see they hold their price.

radiator

No experience of the Cintiqs, but I'm keeping my eye on them until the tech improves and the prices come down.

davethomson

I would recommend Intuos 3 as well, I thought it's surface was just right. I used an A5 Wacom Pen Partner before my A4 Intuos and its surface had bugger all resistance and was a right faff to draw with. Sticking a sheet of paper over it helped but when your nib gets a point it has a habit of shredding the paper.

With regards to sizes, I found the A5 sizes great to learn on but I found their small size a bit limiting when it comes to making longer strokes. I wasn't really able to get my elbow into it with an A5 but the A4 set me free! Comes down to personal preference really, far greater artists than I seem to do just fine with little postage stamp size Wacoms.
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: LARF on 11 May, 2011, 06:59:56 PM
On another note I'm looking at a Cintiq 21 at the moment, Radiator you had any experience of these - are they any good?

Picked one up from eBay a couple of months ago for about £400 off list price, and plan on being buried with it. I thought the 12" was a piece of crap, TBH, but the 21 is fantastic. I have it running as my main monitor, with a 15" MBP sitting to one side as a second monitor and it's just been a dream to use.

Thoroughly recommended.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Neil McClements

Holy moly!  82 pages of comments about the new Wacom pen nibs being a bit duff.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you all know how I get on.