Main Menu

2000AD SCI-FI SPECIAL 2020

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 19 June, 2020, 10:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Yeah great stuff, though I get the point about the price and the inclusion of reprints. For me, as someone who wasn't reading 2000 AD from 2000-2017, they were really welcome though.

Dredd/Zombo and G-Dog/Shako definitely the best of the new thrills.

broodblik

Interview with Ian and Steve on the Red Seas strip:

https://2000ad.com/news/2000-ad-sci-fi-special-ian-edginton-steve-yeowell-when-pirates-need-the-industrial-ant-powder/

Ian also mentioned that he  is working on more Scarlet Traces and Kingmaker plus more Fiends of the Eastern Front with Tiernen Trevallion.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Slugbreath

I'm only about 3/4 way through at the moment; but am being driven insane by the typos, particularly the repetitive one. Mek-Quake sort it out please.

I, Cosh

Still not able to buy this via the iOS app. The price label is continually refreshing and has been all week, despite multiple restarts and refreshes.
We never really die.

broodblik

Quote from: I, Cosh on 30 June, 2020, 02:48:05 PM
Still not able to buy this via the iOS app. The price label is continually refreshing and has been all week, despite multiple restarts and refreshes.

Buy it via the web store and it will be then be available via the iOS app (that is how I do it)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Mardroid

I enjoyed this special a lot. I had mixed feelings concerning the reprint material, but it turned out that much of it was either published before my time, or I'd forgotten the stories. Either way, most of the reprint stuff was new to me. I do remember the Dante story, but that was welcome. That last panel hurts my heart to look at. In a good way, of that make sense.

I think the only story I wasn't so keen on was Dredd Vs Zombo. I DID like most of the story and I found their interaction very funny [spoiler] but then that super-zombo character turned up and it just got too silly for me. Or perhaps 'silly in the wrong way' would be more accurate as I do like some very silly stuff.[/spoiler]

IndigoPrime

Are you aware that [spoiler]that was an alt-universe version of terrible 2000 AD character Angel[/spoiler]?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Up with this kind of thing!

Really enjoyable new strips, in a daft and fun and one off kind of way. Perfect summer special stuff.

Great curated strips.

Interesting text throughout, not just the interview but also the intros.
Lock up your spoons!

Robert Frazer

Quote from: Richard on 20 June, 2020, 04:36:19 PM
Physical sales in shops are actually slightly down, but not by much. But subs and digital are up fourfold.

I'm the sort of person who still goes to HMV to buy CDs so I also like to get physical copies of 2000AD as well. My local newsagent has actually stayed open throughout the lockdown and I've made a point of keeping up going there every week so as to do my bit to support it.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 July, 2020, 09:53:44 AM
Are you aware that [spoiler]that was an alt-universe version of terrible 2000 AD character Angel[/spoiler]?

Nope, I definitely wasn't, and I don't know who that is. Before my time maybe? I figured it was supposed to be another version of Zombo what with the green skin colour etc. In my defence, it's the kind of shenanigans that would occur in the Zombo strip, what with the anti-zombo thing, etc.

So one for the 'over my head' threadmaybe, but thanks for the explanation. Or I'm just rubbish. 😄

IndigoPrime

Mardroid: [spoiler]He's a third-rate ancient 2000 AD character who's had the odd comeback, and also a kind of pseudo follow-up, in the form of Angel Zeri. So: one for the old gits to smile over, but probably a bit baffling for those without quite encyclopaedic knowledge of the Prog.[/spoiler]

Check out Barney for more info: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=index

Richard

That would be [spoiler]2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&choice=angel[/spoiler]

Edited link due to spoiler—IP

Colin YNWA

Angel is one of the most forgettable strip in the comics history. It was a bit rubbish and utter bland and i read it only a few years ago but can remember very little about it.

Curiously therefore it seems to get referred a bit. Its bland obsurity being its main point of reference!

IndigoPrime

OK, I'm giving up with the spoiler edits now...

broodblik

In which progs did Angel appear ?