Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Anderson Psi-Division vs. Hunted Round 2 Heat 10

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 January, 2022, 06:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: AlexF on 24 January, 2022, 09:25:17 AM
Anderson, Psi Division has been home to some of the single best stories of all time, even if there have been some duds in there as well. And my gosh, the art. Gargarax and Vernon D'Arque are the stuff of joyous nightmares. And that Tula Lotay cover is a whole other kind of dream.

Very much this. For a while in the late 80s and early 90s I probably liked Anderson a lot more than the parent strip because of what felt like Alan Grant's more humane point of view on that world. While a lot of artists have done great work, the best of it also feels very tied to Arthur Ranson and some of his best work.

Hunted was a spin-off too far for me.

Anderson: Psi Division.
We never really die.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

hunted.

i adore the rich melancholic atmospherics and emotions in all of gordon's rogue spinoffs. those rare beasts - spinoffs that improve immensely on the ruder original.

norton canes

Hunted was the one strip by the Rennie droid I couldn't get into. Which wasn't a question of quality, just that I didn't really know enough about his Rogue Trooper universe to get a handle on the characters and their motivations. Always had it down for a re-read, though.

Anderson, on the other hand... although she's unquestionably a 2000 AD icon and the strip has given us some phenomenal artwork I just don't think the stories have always been top-notch.

This seems like it shouldn't be close but it's turned out to be a tough decision. Perhaps if I'd have done that re-read by now it might have been a different outcome but for now it has to narrowly be: Anderson

Link Prime

For me, Anderson, Psi Division was a Top Thrill hit for her first two decades in print.
Some really excellent stories - Four Dark Judges, Hour of the Wolf, Shamballa, Engram and Childhoods End remain personal favorites, and the artwork was commonly the best in the Prog / Meg.

The character went off the boil after 'Satan', and never really recovered for this fan.
But the good far outweighs the bad, and I can see myself voting for Cass down the line again.

Funt Solo

Grud on a greenie! Anderson walks it for some out and out classics. There are some great Rogue Trooper spin-offs, but Hunted, while it has positive elements, doesn't work as well as Jaegir or Mayflies.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rogue Judge

Anderson, Psi Division, but I would appreciate a TPB collection of Hunted to add to the book shelf.

Colin YNWA

Well its not going to be a whitewash due to the wonderful Mind of Wolfie Smith, but its entirely possible that Anderson will get the highest vote score to date. I'll count up in the morning and announce the result then.

broodblik

We might get a complete whitewash in this round and all depends whom has to face Nemesis or mister Alpha except if they are facing each other this round
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Oh certainly we'll get a whitewash at some point. Just not here as it looked like it might be for a while. I'm pleased Hunted got a vote as its a fantastic thrill, just it came up against one of the greats. The first  what 10 years or so of Anderson have a sustained quality rarely matched in the Prog for me... if ever in fact.

broodblik

I would have voted differently if we voted on the last 5 years of Anderson. I like Hunted and wish Rennie and PJ will revisit it someday
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Quote from: AlexF on 24 January, 2022, 09:25:17 AM
Hunted is not terrible but it's the least of the Rogue Trooper spin-offs.

How about The 86ers?

As I recall Ronnie lost interest and ask Arthur Wyatt to complete it. Or so I recall reading some where.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Anderson might not have got all the votes here, though nearly, but it did break a record. The thrill has more votes than any other so far to win a single vote and becomes the first to get 20 votes. With consistany excellent stories and highs such as Shamballa amongst those how far can the thrill go. For now we know

Anderson Psi Division

will be in Round 3.