Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 August, 2019, 11:23:39 AM
again: I had to go online to find out how to finish the game's tutorial.

that was it for me and I quit the game, uninstalled the data, and sold the game on Ebay for a fiver, an act that feels less like a monetary transaction and more like passing on a cursed parchment that brings only misery.
A frustrating, joyless slog of a game.

My very experience of Endless Legend yesterday. Bought cheap on a sale, uninstalled when the tutorial asked me to put a marker on a "Dye Site" without explaining what that actually was. Life is too short, and I have lived more than half of it already.
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

I've been playing the original Castlevania on the NES Mini over the last couple of days and I'm really enjoying it. I've managed to get past the mummies but now I'm on a level with loads of bats and flea men that knock you off ledges (flapping things and erratic jumping things - most annoying enemies in games) - they're fucking my shit up.

JamesC

After enjoying the original Castlevania on the NES mini I was curious to have another go on the pseudo-remake Super Castlevania IV. I've never really been able to get into this one despite having it on my original SNES back in the 90s. After an hour, I have to say I still don't get it. I died and then turned it off because I was bored. It seems strangely slow paced to me, and the dreary music gets on my tits. The constant action and fast pace of the first game seem to have been replaced by rather tedious platforming. In the original game it's a real buzz when you pick up a much needed roast ham or a decent, powerful weapon. In this one neither seem particularly needed (you're far more likely to insta-die by falling from the screen than running out of energy, and most enemies are of the inconvenient obstacle type and die from one or two hits from your multi-directional whip). One day I'll get further into this game and see the famed clock tower level that everyone jizzes over. Not today though. As 16bit sequels go I'll take New Generation/Bloodlines (which plays far more like the original game) or Rondo (which I've only played properly on PSP but I thought was excellent) any day.

I've also managed to spend a couple of hours on Super Metroid over the last few days.

Is this the best game on the SNES? Probably.

I was blown away by this game when I first played it in about 1995 but I'm almost more impressed with it now. It's amazing how good the game still looks. The graphics, sound and presentation are about as good as 16bit gets - but also blow any retro-themed modern game away. The gameplay feels really good too - and it's a novelty to play a game so well designed for a specific controller

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 24 September, 2019, 10:34:05 AM

I've also managed to spend a couple of hours on Super Metroid over the last few days.

Is this the best game on the SNES? Probably.

Yeah. 16bit perfection.

Theblazeuk

Hmm.

Super Star Wars, The Adventures of Batman & Robin, Legend Of Zelda and Secret of Mana would take my 16 bit crowns

Woolly

Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Revenge of Shinobi for me  :thumbsup:

ming

Latest Switch pick-up: Untitled Goose Game.  Waddling around in stealth mode and honking
at things has never been so much fun.

https://goose.game/

Keef Monkey

Really up for anything Star Wars just now so dug through the library for a game I hadn't played and found Republic Commando (it's an old first gen Xbox game but is backwards compatible and was given away on GWG at some point).

Like any game that's a few years old it's pretty creaky (although it's had a patch to run at higher resolution on XB1X - it's weird seeing such old polygonal graphics in 4K!) but I had a great time with it. There were a couple of bullet spongey fights but I got really into commanding my squad and blasting droids and it escalates nicely (the last missions on Kashyyyk are ace, especially when you have wookies running alongside you just straight up kicking the heads off enemies).

It has a Halo 2 style 'finish the fight' cliffhanger ending which made me sad that it never got a sequel.

GrudgeJohnDeed

I loved Republic Commando back in the day! I fired it up for a little while on X1X myself when it was free, and it does hold up really well doesn't it. When you talk about bullet sponges do you mean those 8-feet tall humanoid robots with the laser arm? I remember hosing those mothers down for ages, and I think later in the game there were a lot of them!

Keef Monkey

Yup those are the guys! The grenade launcher attachment makes pretty short work of them (and it's so satisfying to blow them up that way) but that's if you manage to keep ammo for it. If you just have the regular blaster you feel like you're really pouring fire into them for an insanely long time. There were some long sections where my whole team were down and I was down to pistol ammo and was just popping out and firing a couple of shots then running for the bacta dispensers constantly, I was having a great time though!

Link Prime

It'll shock no-one to discover I really enjoyed the new Links Awakening remake.

Graphics were charmingly updated, game-play / progression as strong as I remembered, and at least one dungeon was pleasingly difficult to complete.

I'll knock one point off the perfect 10 for, bizarrely, an additional feature; the 'Dungeon creation' option was a bit of a chore, and I gave up before finishing all of them for the prerequisite 100% completion.

As per usual, I picked up the special edition; the mock Gameboy steel-book case made me weak at the Nintendo fan-boy knees.

Link Prime

Professor Bear

The best thing about Conan: Exiles - apart from the Basil Poledouris theme being present and correct - is that once you delete it off your hard drive, you now have room for many other, better games.
Belonging to that recent genre of open world survival games involving grinding, collecting, crafting and base building, it joins Elite: Dangerous in the ranks of games that should be right up my street, but in practice are just 80% me putting the name into Google followed by the words "how do I..." and whatever it is I'm trying to do in the game that should be laughably straightforward in the same way it is in all the other games I've played that feature the same mechanics.
No doubt it has its fans who insist that the 48 hours you spend just to understand gaming mechanics that any half-developed game explains to you in less than 15 minutes are actually an indicator of what a great game this is if only you'll give it a chance, but life is too short.

Rately

Looking for some advice, folks.

I'm sorely tempted to turn my new attic room into a wee movie hub, and have been toying with the ideas of purchasing a console, and finally getting back into gaming after at least a decade away from doing any gaming, other than mobile games, and the very occasional frenzied week long binge sessions on ancient versions of Football Manager and Half-Life on my MacBook Pro through Steam.

Toying with purchasing a reduced Playstation 4 or Xbox at Christmas, but I've been reading about the subscription based streaming services like Google Stadia, and am slightly more enamoured with the idea of not having a clunky console taking up more valuable space among the movies, books, comics!

Anyone any advice? Pros and cons they've found? Experience of streaming games through subscription services?

Many thanks in advance!

GrudgeJohnDeed

I see the pros of streaming as incredible convenience, you can play in more places, and have less clutter like you said. I think we'll probably all be streaming one day, really!

The services are all a bit different and we don't know all the details yet on some of them, but the main cons are that input lag and dips in the quality of the stream are possible, depending on your internet speed, location and the service itself. I could also see situations where the game someone would like to play isn't on their preferred platform, lots of money exchanging hands for service-exclusivity on games that would usually be multi-platform.

Google seems like they're aiming for the most devices out of the gate, Chromecast, PC, some Smart TVs, mobile. Xcloud will stream to Console, PC and Mobile they say, and if you have an Xbox you'll be able to turn it into your very own Xcloud server. PlayStation Now is just PS4 and PC for now I think, but you have to imagine everyone will want to be on every device sooner rather than later.

Personally, I'm drawn towards Xcloud the most, because I have an Xbox and also there were some leaked patents for an Xbox controller that attaches to tablets and phones. Big fan of the controller, and I have a 10" tablet I'd love to play Xbox on in bed! I assume latency will be very low around the house if I'm using my own Xbox as the server too.