Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyberleader2000

so I live in Tewkesbury and I'm now anoyed with Cheltenham they decided to not stop Race week people come all acros the contrey for that event some even come from abord, I feel this was a really stupid move.
it dosent help that ~I need to go out today to a meeting and have to take a bus or a 50 minute walk since the bus I need to take passes through Cheltenham, and of corses everon in my area is eaither like it will be fine, I even know people who just think its a nastey cold. then theres the panic buyers enough said about them.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

paddykafka

I share your annoyance, Cyberleader. Had there been an outbreak of Foot and Mouth, you can be damn sure that the entire event would have been cancelled. I'm even more pissed off with the selfish, stupid morons who travelled here from the Emerald Isle to a venue - that will attract crowds of up to 65,000 - where they could quite possibly contract this virus, bring it back to this country and potentially infect thousands more. Absolute and utter wank-stains, every fucking one of them!

Rately

Stories leaking out on Facebook / Whatsapp that a Department For Communities Office in Belfast has been shut down, with staff not allowed to leave building, an entire floor shut off whilst they await the arrival of higher management to make an announcement.

Bizarrely, the fella who made the post on a Facebook group, has now taken the post down. I used to work with him, and am finding this all rather bizarre, frightening and wondering when some proper leadership and assurances will be provided by my management, my elected representatives and actual people who know what they are talking about!

TordelBack

Quote from: paddykafka on 11 March, 2020, 02:10:26 PMAbsolute and utter wank-stains, every fucking one of them!

There are people on Irish social media this very minute offering their oh-so-edgy opinion that C-19 only kills those who "are waiting at Death's door anyway" so we should just carry on as normal and escape economic ruin.  I think if we're going to take this pragmatic tone, everyone returning from Cheltenham should be quickly and humanely killed before they have a chance to kill their parents - and mine.

As the WHO conference today said, the real problem is that our social and health systems are pared to the bone, and have zero capacity to absorb this kind of crisis. In the light of onrushing climate collapse, I pray to my atheist gods that that we learn this lesson.

Tjm86

Time and again I am so grateful that I use SM sparingly.  That said, MSM can be just as bad.  Some of the stories the Express is peddling are beyond belief. 

So now the WHO has called this a pandemic and is scathing about the international response.  Even Trump is trying to walk back his earlier blasé attitude it seems.  The overriding message seems to be though that neoliberalism is about to come up against some pretty harsh truths.  A decade of cutting back on those seeming inessentials ...

Cyberleader2000

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 March, 2020, 05:20:52 PM
Quote from: paddykafka on 11 March, 2020, 02:10:26 PMAbsolute and utter wank-stains, every fucking one of them!

There are people on Irish social media this very minute offering their oh-so-edgy opinion that C-19 only kills those who "are waiting at Death's door anyway" so we should just carry on as normal and escape economic ruin.  I think if we're going to take this pragmatic tone, everyone returning from Cheltenham should be quickly and humanely killed before they have a chance to kill their parents - and mine.

Don't get me started I has asma and the last 3 times I've had a cold I got a chest infection the first one and the last 2 times I got close to having one. So I'm rather conserened with getting this bug, but people tell me I should not worry and it's just a nasty cold that affects people with health problems. But I can't think of it just affecting me there's my brother and my gran who I help and support so I have to be super carfule. And for the first time since my dad died am I a little glad he isent round as he had COPD and if he was still around I know I would have been loosing my mind with stress from people's lack of care and awereness.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rately on 11 March, 2020, 03:39:19 PM
Stories leaking out on Facebook / Whatsapp that a Department For Communities Office in Belfast has been shut down, with staff not allowed to leave building, an entire floor shut off whilst they await the arrival of higher management to make an announcement.

Bizarrely, the fella who made the post on a Facebook group, has now taken the post down. I used to work with him, and am finding this all rather bizarre, frightening and wondering when some proper leadership and assurances will be provided by my management, my elected representatives and actual people who know what they are talking about!

The whole island needs a cross-border disease policy. There was a reason Foot and Mouth never took hold in Ireland but catastrophic in Britain.

shaolin_monkey

So my workplace is on a war footing. Lots of advice and updates issued daily via HR, loads of signs and hand sanitizers going up everywhere.  Recalled 500 laptops from around the business, big discussions about setting up work-from-home remote access as quickly as possible for essential and high risk staff. I'm on that list due to asthma. It's quite reassuring - more so than the pathetic response from our glorious Dicktator Johnson.

Someone in the office opposite us was a confirmed case. The entire building has been shut down for a deep clean.

If I get this virus I am in trouble. My asthma has almost killed me once already - I really don't think I'll make it through a bout of bilateral interstitial pneumonia, which appears to be what is causing the high mortality rate in the folk over 60 who contract COVID-19.

TordelBack

Stsy safe, Shaolin-monkey. It's bloody scary.

Talked to my eldest lad tonight about pulling him out of school, whether it would affect any of his continual assessment work.  He wants to stay in until Friday, as it turns out that all week they've been prepping over a month's worth of projects and assignments that they can do and submit through OneNote, with the understanding that attending school is probably finished from Paddy's Day until May.

Finally some f**king sense. Hats off to those teachers.

And the lad himself: I'm trying to imagine a single day in my school career where I would have turned down an offer from my Dad to not go in in te morning, just so I can finish setting out a month of homework...

von Boom

It's very scary out there at the moment so everyone be safe. However, it seems there is some hopeful news coming out of Italy. An anti-inflammatory drug used in rheumatoid arthritis is working to help a patient with a.Covid-19 breath again.

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1237796973383749633

Rately

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 March, 2020, 08:55:20 PM
Quote from: Rately on 11 March, 2020, 03:39:19 PM

The whole island needs a cross-border disease policy. There was a reason Foot and Mouth never took hold in Ireland but catastrophic in Britain.

Totally agree.

They need to take the politics out of this, and agree a joint strategy. Common sense in short supply, though.

The news out of Italy is horrendous. To think the UK Government seem paralysed, and not willing to make the decisions needed just shows what an absolutely horrendous mess we have all made of things. Then you see Trump's Address.. Christ. We are just lurching from shit show to shit show.

TordelBack

I'd like to say I can't believe what Trump is saying, but of course I can. Playing childish 'See? See? Those no-good wops and dagos!' dishonest, divisive Brexit politics with a pandemic: I try to never wish harm on people, but I hope he gets a damned good dose of 'no worse than the flu, you can just work through it'. 

Half of the construction site I'm currently working were off at Cheltenham this week, and the most of them are off to a three-day open-bar wedding in Killarney today. Come next week this place is going to be ground zero. 

Yesterday some tosspot lifted all the toilet roll from both the jacks and the supply cupboard.

I'm now keeping the (newly bought, hard won) supply, along with the hand sanitiser refills, in my boot, and bringing it in one roll at a time as needed: although maybe I should go the Immortan Joe route and stand on the roof of my Ford Ka shouting "I am your redeemer!  It is by my hand that you will wipe poop from the bottom of the world!".  If it falls to one to establish the new world order, best to place oneself on the milking stool.

Tjm86

The other disturbing aspect of this is that this is an infectious disease that is going to affect a lot of folks but they will recover from it.  Before shouting me down on this, I'm not trying to be blasé about the affect on high risk groups.  What I am suggesting is that this could potentially be a dress rehearsal for escalation in the effects of climate change.

It is not unreasonable to expect that future events could see the size and structure of 'vulnerable groups' increase substantially.  In fact you could argue that this is already the case but the disjointed and disconnected nature of events is obscuring comprehension of the full scale.  It's a bit like Niemoller's poem but on a global scale.

Then again, perhaps this will be the wake up call that is needed?

TordelBack

That's my hope too, Tjm - the only potential good I can see in all this. Our tax/services/economy model has been shown to be completely indequate, the global.equivalent of living on your credit card and hoping for the best. Imagine if instead of pouring  trillions into imperialist military projects in the middle east and billions into nationalist fiascos closer to home, we'd actually put something into global preparedness and resilient care for the most vulnerable.

IndigoPrime

UK response is baffling. *Planning* to *possibly* legislate on social interaction policy *next week*. It's not like there's any urgency!