Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, I've asked if Cushing should be considered the 2nd Dr, and been answered with derisory laughter.  I think the film is not considered 'canon'.

Professor Bear

Considering the kind of stuff that gets hand-waved in Who, I'm not sure why it couldn't be.

judda fett

It's the Whovian equivalent of The SW Christmas Special.

Watched Wild At Heart yesterday. Hadn't seen it in ages, enjoyed it. Still as sleazy and strange as I remembered.

von Boom

Compared to the SW Christmas Special, Dr. Who and the Daleks is pure class.

Tiplodocus

THE DINOSAUR PROJECT

Strange attempt to marry the usually scary found footage movies with a bit of a boys own yarn about dinosaurs.  It's not without it's charm (just enough to sustain the 80 minute run time) and boasts some rather good special effects (for a film of it's size) and also [spoiler]not everybody dies in quite the order you expect[/spoiler]. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Buttonman

For no obvious reason a Joaquin Phoenix double bill of The Village and We Own the Night

I, Cosh

Quote from: Buttonman on 22 January, 2013, 03:46:20 PM
For no obvious reason a Joaquin Phoenix double bill of The Village and We Own the Night
Blimey. If only Mr Phoenix was in an animal-related film such as Buffalo Soldiers, eh?
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

Les Miserables. Not my choice of movie. Not something I have ever had any interest in ever watching (despite my sister having been obsessed by it for the past 20 years). But by Grud, this was an incredible movie. Genuinely moving, with some jaw dropping scenes and performances.

Dark Jimbo

From Beyond the Grave - Always a pleasure, never a chore. When Amicus made a bad film it was utter dross; when they got things right it's absolute gold. And what a cast - !

Kelly's Heroes - First time I'd properly seen this, although I caught the ending on TV years back and saw enough to make a note to try to watch the whole thing some day. What a crackin' film! I'm a sucker for a WWII flick at the best of times, more so when the film has an extra special sort of something. Another great cast and a lot of good gags. Donald Sutherland utterly steals the show, though.

A Town called Panic - I hardly even know what to say about this. Almost defies description, in the best possible way. Very, very French.

Death at a Funeral - British ensemble comedy that I'd never heard of before. Great cast involved, although some of these aren't really given much to do; Jane Asher and Keeley Hawes in particular seem a bit wasted in their roles. Likewise there are one or two minor plotlines that don't really go anywhere; but everything that works is very, very funny. Conjures up lovely memories of the Ealing-type stuff of yesteryear. Speaking of which...

Passport to Pimlico - Like putting on a comfy old pair of slippers.
@jamesfeistdraws

judda fett

American Movie. I love this documentary about this crazy dude who loves film and has been trying to make one in particular for years. His kids quote lines from Apocalypse Now, he has a 'vodtka' loving acid casualty mate with him every step of the way, I could go on and on about this. It's beautiful and bitter sweet. If you've seen it thoughts please, if you haven't seen it please source it.

judda fett

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 January, 2013, 11:00:05 PM
Les Miserables. Not my choice of movie. Not something I have ever had any interest in ever watching (despite my sister having been obsessed by it for the past 20 years). But by Grud, this was an incredible movie. Genuinely moving, with some jaw dropping scenes and performances.

What have you done with Richmond?

Charlie boy

On American Movie I'm thinking of the one where they're trying to make a horror film called The Coven ("sounds to much like oven...")  but I really can't remember any kids quoting Apocalypse Now, so I don't know if I just haven't watched it recently enough or if I'm talking about a totally different film (I'm thinking of the two main people in it now and one of them does have a story about taking acid and collapsing and apparently the brain monitor picks nothing up when the doctor's examine him; the other ends up working as a cleaner in a crematorium).
On another note I'm fairly sure it was also Judda Fett who mentioned David Lynch's Wild at Heart recently, meaning one person on this forum is bound to understand why I named my second cat Lula.

Spikes

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 January, 2013, 11:31:19 PM
From Beyond the Grave - Always a pleasure, never a chore. When Amicus made a bad film it was utter dross; when they got things right it's absolute gold. And what a cast - !

Top top film. As much as a Hammer fan as i am, i think those Amicus films are better. A staple of late night viewing on telly back in the day, these took an absolute age to come out on DVD - the last couple only coming out a few years ago.
The coffin-shaped Amicus collection that Anchor Bay released is nice - if you can track one down now.

von Boom

Kelly's Heroes - First time I'd properly seen this, although I caught the ending on TV years back and saw enough to make a note to try to watch the whole thing some day. What a crackin' film! I'm a sucker for a WWII flick at the best of times, more so when the film has an extra special sort of something. Another great cast and a lot of good gags. Donald Sutherland utterly steals the show, though.

Kelly's Heroes is one of my favourite WW2 film. Great stuff. Even my wife likes it.

Dandontdare

A Town called Panic - I hardly even know what to say about this. Almost defies description, in the best possible way. Very, very French.

Oh yes. Anyone who remembers those surreal Cravendale adverts (not the thumb-cats ones) will recognise the characters (Cowboy, Indian and Horse) and the bizarre animation style. Fabulously daft - recommended