Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 February, 2013, 01:22:41 AMKind of Jaws with a fucking great big train instead of a shark.

Ah, thank you, I knew it reminded me of something.  Not in the same league, but a similar sort of thing, a few ordinary competent people trying to stop a Big Dangerous Thing despite the authorities' best efforts to screw it up, and the reasonably sensible way everyone conducted (b'dum tish) themselves. Denzel really is an amazingly naturalistic actor, almost every line feels like he's ad libbing - if he wasn't so overwhelmingly handsome you could imagine you were just having a chat with him at the bus-stop, rather than watching an actor heroically wrestling with a giant train. Pine too is quite convincing as a run-of-the-mill prick, and I mean that in a good way. 

(that long enough for you, Darnmarr?   ;))

von Boom

Quote from: Professor J Bear on 23 February, 2013, 06:09:49 PM
I have nieces aged 13, 10 and 6, and they are desperate to get seeing Warm Bodies.  I take this as a sign I am too old and too male to be the target audience.

Definitely.

von Boom

Quote from: Radbacker on 24 February, 2013, 02:44:12 AM
watched the last half of Tron Legacy last night, god i want a cut of that movie just done to the sound track no dialouge done right it would be mindblowing. So arsom looking and sounding until someone opens their gob.  Still want another sequal though.

Cu Radbacker

Spot on!

qtwerk

Avengers Assemble. Mediocre and dull first hour, then Hulk saves the film and the last 30 or so minutes are splendid, eye-popping, SMASHing fun.

Richmond Clements

Cloud Atlas. I'm still digesting this, but I bloody loved it. Have never read the book, and knew very little of the plot when I went in.
It is a massive movie both in running time and vision, and has some incredible performances. Hanks and Broadbent in particular are nothing short of brilliant.

qtwerk

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 24 February, 2013, 08:50:49 PM
Cloud Atlas. I'm still digesting this, but I bloody loved it. Have never read the book, and knew very little of the plot when I went in.
It is a massive movie both in running time and vision, and has some incredible performances. Hanks and Broadbent in particular are nothing short of brilliant.

I enjoyed the book a lot. For all its self-indulgent and occasionally obtuse stylings, it displays a cyclopean ambition and pleasing coherence if you stick with it. I was dubious about how it would ever translate to a film (classically unfilmable like many other noble failures) and the very mixed reviews (and US box office disaster) bear that out, but I will certainly be watching it when it reaches the smaller screens

Although I fucking despise Hugh Grant

TordelBack

Thor: Tales of Asgard. An animated wotsit on Netflix, concerning the youth of (the Marvel versions of) Thor and Loki.  Very enjoyable, and while comics-centric works pretty well as a prequel to the rather excellent Brannagh movie.  Some amusing bits, like the Valkyries' archery targets all looking like Fandral of the Warriors Three.

darnmarr

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 February, 2013, 09:20:26 AM
(that long enough for you, Darnmarr?   ;))
Informative, erudite, up-beat, concise: I take it all back, you're nothing like me.

willthemightyW

Miami Vice (2006) -

I've been watching the series on Netflix, so was delighted to find this for just £2 in HMV, although I had heard some rather mixed opinions to say the least, but knowing that it was Michael Mann directing, I knew I'd at the very least have an entertaining way to pass two hours, and that I did! Better than I thought it might be, I just wish we'd have Foxx as Tubbs, as he seemed to be doing a good job, but instead he got a minuscule amount of time devoted to him compared to Farrell's Crockett, who I found to be lifeless and rather uninteresting, not nearly the charismatic cop that he should be. Another thing that probably didn't win the film any favours was the partnership between Crockett and Tubbs, or lack there of. If someone turned the film on half way through, didn't know the set up, and the characters didn't were police vests and very occasionally say things like 'I'm with you partner' they'd be hard pushed to work out whether the two characters were meant to even know each other!
Having said that, it was good fun, and definitely worth the time; there's also an anecdote in the extras about Colin Farrell going along on an undercover drug deal with two retired (he didn't know this) undercover agents, it was all a set up and the result was Farrell frantically shouting things like 'I'm not wearing a wire!' as guns were being drawn!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

ThryllSeekyr

I watched Starship Troopers: Hero of the Federation last weekend.

Not a bad movie, but not as good as the first one either.

ThryllSeekyr

That was meant to be Starship Troopers TWO: Hero of the Federation.

Hawkmumbler

2 Days in New York - Pile o' shite. Horrible characters who spout horrible humour. Avoid like a diseased dog.

Commando Leonard-I-Mean-Leopard- Good old macaroni war fun from the king of low budget action Antonio Margheriti.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill. Both pretty cool Japanese 60s hitman/yakuza movies. Tarrantino definitely got some inspiration from the former for Kill Bill.

MR. ELIMINATOR

edited my top post so this one can be deleted.

HdE

I've just switched off the TV after watching Troll Hunter.

I'd hoped it would do bigger things for me. But it was a fun way to waste 100 minutes. Those SFX are AWESOME, I have to say!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/