Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Jack on 20 July, 2013, 10:58:32 AM
But i guess its always been easy, if your so inclined, to knock Spielberg.

I don't knock Spielberg at all. He has the same knack David Lynch has of been able to push certain emotional buttons whenever he wants and making it seem natural. Their only difference being tone.

Richmond Clements

Harold and Maude. Now, why had I never even heard of this movie before, let alone never seen it? It's bloody great. Hilarious and moving with some incredible performances. And, I suspect, a movie that the likes of Tim Burton watched A LOT.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 July, 2013, 02:01:57 PM
Harold and Maude. Now, why had I never even heard of this movie before, let alone never seen it? It's bloody great. Hilarious and moving with some incredible performances. And, I suspect, a movie that the likes of Tim Burton watched A LOT.

I love this film, but have only see it once.  A friend sat me down in front of it a few months ago (the whole film is on Youtube).  I found it hysterically funny throughout, and very moving at the end. 

Like you, I had absolutely no idea of it's existence, especially given how long ago it was made.  Mind you, the subject matter is a bit taboo-ish, kinda, so maybe that's why it's not a popular film, or even a popular cult film.

Theblazeuk

Regarding Tim Burton (late to the party, I know); he is very, very overrated and uncritically looked at. Plus he gets far, far too much credit for Nightmare Before Christmas, which took his trademark aesthetic and imbued it with the soul and skill that he generally leaves out of his own work. Blew me away when I bothered to pay attention to the credits and realised that his name wasn't against the director credit - particularly since it's marketed as 'Tim Burton's nightmare before...'

However, he's not all bad. Whilst his Batman is pretty weak on consideration, I loved it as a child. His Gotham is pretty sublime even if his protagonist is not; that odd combination of pulp noir and gothic sensibilities worked wonders, despite venturing too far into the wacky inanity of the Joker. Plus, I'm of the opinion that Jack Nicholson wasn't a terrible joker, just a different play on the character, similar in some ways to Heath Ledger if lacking all of the fierce nihilism that the reboot brought to the fore. Nicholson's Joker is more like the old gangster character of the silver age rather than the psychotic sociopath we've known since Alan Moore's Killing Joke; and his plot, poisoning many domestic products and driving the city to panic, was on reflection pretty good. A stinking city of the unwashed and unkempt, paranoid of all hygiene products, is both horrific and pretty damn funny.

Shame about the Bat though. Never really works when he's in front of the camera.

Dandontdare

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 22 July, 2013, 02:47:33 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 July, 2013, 02:01:57 PM

I love this film, but have only see it once.  A friend sat me down in front of it a few months ago (the whole film is on Youtube).  I found it hysterically funny throughout, and very moving at the end. 

Like you, I had absolutely no idea of it's existence, especially given how long ago it was made.  Mind you, the subject matter is a bit taboo-ish, kinda, so maybe that's why it's not a popular film, or even a popular cult film.

It is a great film isn't it? I loved the [spoiler]various fake suicides he employs to put off prospective suitors, especially the garden immolation![/spoiler]. Actually, it must be 25 years since I saw it (which is depressing in itself) - it was something of a campus cult movie when I was at college in the states, but I hadn't heard of it before then, and have only found a handful of people since who know about it.

Richmond Clements

Quoteand have only found a handful of people since who know about it.

Yeah, I had never heard of it at all until someone mentioned it to me last week as their favourite movie ever. I can see why, too.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 22 July, 2013, 04:46:03 PMNicholson's Joker is more like the old gangster character of the silver age rather than the psychotic sociopath we've known since Alan Moore's Killing Joke;

As others have pointed out, Nicholson's Joker is just Frank Gorshin's take on the Riddler from the 1966 Batman tv show, right down to the psychotic and murderous mood-swings.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I still maintain that the 1966 version of Batman is the best live action Batman there's ever been. Batman: The Movie is a thing of pure joy.
You may quote me on that.

Daveycandlish

Quote from: Mister Pops on 22 July, 2013, 05:54:59 PM
I still maintain that the 1966 version of Batman is the best live action Batman there's ever been. Batman: The Movie is a thing of pure joy.

It's certainly the only one I have on DVD as I feel it's the only one I'd want to watch again
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

JamesC

In many ways I think you're right.
The other versions go too dark for my liking and seem obsessed with covering the acrobatic, athletic vigilante in armour plating and having him plod about growling at people.
I still hope that, one day, well see a proper 'Dynamic Duo' film with fight scenes more like Enter The Dragon and less like Robocop.

Buttonman

Superior cop drama Where the Sidewalk Ends followed by Sean Connery trying to convince that he's not over The Hill.

Recrewt

Quote from: JamesC on 22 July, 2013, 06:38:56 PM

In many ways I think you're right.
The other versions go too dark for my liking and seem obsessed with covering the acrobatic, athletic vigilante in armour plating and having him plod about growling at people.
I still hope that, one day, well see a proper 'Dynamic Duo' film with fight scenes more like Enter The Dragon and less like Robocop.

You know from the Burton films I always preferred 'Batman Returns'.  But then, I like Batman to be dark and don't mind stories involving abandoned mutant babies!

Oh, and Michelle Pfeiffer in pvc.  :o

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 July, 2013, 05:34:01 PM
Quoteand have only found a handful of people since who know about it.

Yeah, I had never heard of it at all until someone mentioned it to me last week as their favourite movie ever. I can see why, too.

Hal Ashby's has done some other greats: The Last Detail, Being There.

Radbacker

God its been years since i've watched Harold and Maude, we had a very Gothy year 11 English teached that decided that ws the book and movie we were going to study that year.  Really didn;'t htink i'd enjoy it (come on it was from the 70's) but ended up getting one of my best English grades, i think i must have been a tad Harold those days.
Batman Returns is a super movie but it really doesn't have Batman in it much and he certainly doesn't have any character growth, its all about Pheifers Catwoman and Devitto's Penguin.  Lots of dirty double entendres too.  Burtons gothic nighmare city is how i've always seen Gotham.

CU Radbacker

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 July, 2013, 05:17:16 PM

It is a great film isn't it? I loved the [spoiler]various fake suicides he employs to put off prospective suitors, especially the garden immolation![/spoiler].

Yeah, they were bloody brilliant. [spoiler] I loved his conversation with the psychiatrist about it:

Psychiatrist: Were they all done for your mother's benefit?
Harold: ... No, I would not say "benefit." [/spoiler]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The person who sat me down in front of it said it was their favourite film ever too!