Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

I love Marmite but I don't like that cover, and never did.  So ner.

John's interior B&W work contains so much in the way of raw power, detail and discomfiting elements and, for me, these are sorely lacking in that image.  All very personal and subjective but there y'go.

TordelBack

...Whereas I think it's really wonderful piece, appropriately evoking a medieval Icon in its stiff formality but with Torquemada's insanity straining to break free, and looking like it has accreted from layers of shiny candle wax and soot.  Takes all sorts!

Link Prime

Anyone else pick up a Paul Davidson piece from his recent Ebay auction?
I had bids on several, including his cover (which actually went quite cheaply in the end), but only came out with this page from Prog 1827.
It's the one I liked the best to be honest...great Dredd profile & chin-age.

hippynumber1

Nope! Completely missed those...

Simon Beigh

Nice page, Link. And like The Hipster, I totally missed these!

Link Prime

Quote from: SimeonB on 02 July, 2013, 06:44:16 PM
Nice page, Link. And like The Hipster, I totally missed these!

Cheers Simeon.

By the way- I think he was listing these internationally (I was charged in US Dollars).
Might explain how they slipped under some radars.

Simon Beigh

Grud! That explains it then. Is Paul based in America?

Link Prime

Quote from: SimeonB on 02 July, 2013, 07:31:23 PM

I'm almost certain he's still based in the UK, but probably puts his stuff up internationally due to most of his output being for Marvel comics (I previously bought some of his 'X-Factor' pages, which is why I had him on a saved search).

Andy_Lee

I recently bumped into a similar problem. I've been on eBay for soooo long I originally registered when there only was a US site. I've had to get my account switched to a UK one because stuff I was listing was only appearing on ebay.com.

TLDR. Old man of the internet problems

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 July, 2013, 12:53:46 PM
Quote from: SimeonB on 02 July, 2013, 07:31:23 PM

I'm almost certain he's still based in the UK, but probably puts his stuff up internationally due to most of his output being for Marvel comics (I previously bought some of his 'X-Factor' pages, which is why I had him on a saved search).
I shall seek him out...

o1s1n

Quote from: Skullmo on 01 July, 2013, 10:50:33 PM
Here you go lad(ette)s - My computer skills are bad and my scanner is not big enough so I have badly stuck these 2 images together for a full scan

And here is a detail scan

And yes, it's amazing!

Purity's head is painted on another piece of card and stuck on. The surround of the picture is a sea of masking tape. And I have no idea what it is painted in but it is shiny. Perhaps enamel paints.

Thanks for the scans Skullmo! Delighted you finally got your hands on it. :)

Great to see closeup details like some of the penwork over the paint on the faces. Interesting find about Purity's face too. Not surprising given most of his pages are an absolute collage of pastes - I always wish there was a way of seeing what's underneath!

Regarding the page itself, I always found that, genius which Johnny is with a pen and ink, he never really could paint or use colour particularly well. Which is evident in this cover.

I do love it and there's something incredibly raw about the whole image, from Torq's face to how it's created, but as a painter I can't help but say 'Johnny! what were you thinking?!' when it comes to certain parts. (especially the Nemesis image)

Still, you're a lucky git (!) for grabbing it and I'd sell my first born (if I had one!) to add it to the collection! :D Enjoy!

SMUDGE10

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 June, 2013, 07:02:27 PM
Quote from: Fatboydale on 28 June, 2013, 06:52:31 PM
I was think Alex Nino ??

That wouldn't actually surprise me. I'm not familiar enough with his work to attempt an attribution, but there are enough pieces knocking about on the internet for me to see some definite similarities.

Cheers

Jim

I'm a big Nino fan. I could be wrong but I think it's someone doing a good job of a 'Nino style' but not the man himself. I'd love to know for certain....
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
― Christopher Hitchens

ming

Nothing new here, move along...  I posted a crappy pic of this page soon after this thread started (i.e. over three years ago); it deserves better, so here it is again.  From Colin Wilson's first commissioned 2000AD story*: The Sweet Taste of Justice, 2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1981.

* Some Future Shocks saw print first, but this was his first gig for Tharg.

Simon Beigh

That page is a joy, ming. The detail is amazing! I might have to get me some of that Mr Wilson (he says looking at his empty pockets...)  :)

Colin YNWA

I absolutely adore Colin Wilson's Dredd. If my attention of late hadn't been elsewhere I've a page I'm hoping will still be around, for years to come it would seem it'll have to be, that I'd just love to snap up.

I keep getting distracted though. I hope the results of my latest distraction will be up soon.