Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

A good point worth re-quoting

Quote from: Skullmo on 24 July, 2013, 01:35:03 PM
If art is done in markers it will fade whether you have it in light or not :-(

Older pieces can suffer terribly from this - there's some heartbreaking examples, over on CAF, of 2000ad stuff, along with some Marvel stuff, etc..
Whether Markers used now are still prone to fading, i dont know.

Frank

Quote from: o1s1n on 24 July, 2013, 05:17:15 PM
I did look into UV protective glass a few years back, it works to a degree, but won't stop the fading 100%.

This nice Australian lady art curator goes into great detail about the best ways of protecting your art from Apollo's withering gaze. Here's the highlights:

"PROTECTING ARTWORK FROM ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT, by Laura Stirton Aust, ARTcare

Light is an unavoidable hazard to art materials, especially paper.  Light causes weakening and discoloration of paper fibers.  It also causes many dyes and pigments to fade or change in colour.  The damage from light is not reversible.  Decreasing exposure to all light is a significant concern, and most museums filter UV from light sources and reduce light exposure by limiting the number of hours art is illuminated.  Works of art on paper should be stored in darkness with exhibition not to exceed six weeks every two years.   

FILMS AND WINDOW COVERINGS: The primary source of ultraviolet radiation is sunlight.  Window films and some coverings provide UV filtering without blocking substantial visible light.  UV filtering of sunlight will help to safeguard prints, furnishings and textiles while also reducing the heat entering a window.

PROTECTING ARTWORK IN THE FRAME: Glazing is the protective covering used in framing artwork.  The two most common glazing materials are glass and plastic. Glass is rigid and not easily scratched, but it is heavy and breakable.  Plastic is light weight and less breakable than glass, but it is easily scratched and as the plastic ages it may take on a gray or yellow cast.

FLUORESCENT BULB SLEEVES: Fluorescent light contains less UV than sunlight though the UV output is still significant.  Since light damage is cumulative it takes only a few weeks for fluorescent light to damage art.  But, if fluorescent light is filtered there is much less danger. 

Sometimes I am asked if it is necessary to use all these methods to filter UV.  Having seen paper burned by the sun in only a few days I can not over emphasize the dangers of UV.  A newspaper left on a window sill for a week provides a graphic example of the damaging effects of sunlight.  I believe in using multiple defenses.  Don't wait for light to damage your artwork.  Avoid illuminating pieces whenever possible and do all that you can to reduce UV from the sources that light your artworks."

Spikes

Art in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Special mention goes out to Mr Meaden - you sir, are a star!

Simon Beigh

My gob is smacked  :o Fabulous page. Many congratulations.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Jim_Campbell

That's a fantastic page. Carlos contributed so much to those first 500 or so issues. There's the obvious lost-Dredd hiatus in the first 75 issues before the Starlord merger brought him back, but his Strontium Dog, followed by his brief stint on ABC Warriors, then Fiends of the Eastern Front, followed by The Stainless Steel Rat (the novels were already a favourite by that time), then a semi-permanent Stront residency interrupted only by the frickin' Apocalypse War...

Unquestionably, one of 2000AD's defining artists.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Lovely vintage page there Iain...I'm very jealously impressed happy for you.

Sideshow Bob

A fabulous very early Carlos page.....
Just wonderful !!....The detail is amazing !!

And like Mr Prime,....I'm so envious pleased for you....  :lol:
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Sideshow Bob

Just thought I'd post my ( now ) framed Mongrol pieces............Just got them back from 'framers' today, so they'll be going up on the wall ASAP.... :D
I've had both pieces put together in the same frame for a compare / contrast 'sort of thing'....

Please excuse 'bendy' looking top of frame...it's not .........I'm just a crap photographer !!...
Cheers...

" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Skullmo

Did somebody say early Carlos?

Skullmo

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 25 July, 2013, 12:42:42 PM
Just thought I'd post my ( now ) framed Mongrol pieces............Just got them back from 'framers' today, so they'll be going up on the wall ASAP.... :D
I've had both pieces put together in the same frame for a compare / contrast 'sort of thing'....

Please excuse 'bendy' looking top of frame...it's not .........I'm just a crap photographer !!...
Cheers...

A gorgeous couple of pieces there!

Simon Beigh

Bob - they look cracking framed, and a great idea to have them done together.

Skullmo - where did you find that beauty? Love the mad architecture in the right-hand panel.

Here's my offering for today. The last page ever drawn by Rich Elson before he went entirely digital - so a little bit of history...

Sideshow Bob

Thanks for the kind words guys, and I'm really pleased how the framing turned out ...

Skullmo....That's a great piece, and as SimeonB says " a mad bit of architecture as well !!..
Great stuff though.....That piece must be about 25 - 30 years old ???

SimeonB ....another cracking piece.....I've been over on CAF again,  and you seem to have amassed an incredible amount of really great artwork in ( what seems ) a very short period of time......Need to let us all into your secret as you still claim to have all kidneys remaining..... :lol:
Absolutely loving your Leigh Gallagher stuff btw....
I've been stalking watching Hippynumber1's Defoe DPS and am so impressed I am now saving to try and get a commission myself....
Cheers

malak brood

WOW, fantastic pieces here!  JJ awesome stuff, top drawer (and you are welcome sir!) Skullmo, really nice, classy stuff.  As Jim said, Carlos, one of the Galaxy's Greatest........Nice modern touch from Simeon and Bob, what can I say, they look sensational framed, very impressive.  Thanks for sharing these guys, brilliant stuff!!!  :o

Simon Beigh

Yeah, all kidneys present and correct, Bob! My secret is quite simple - I buy modern pieces. The majority of my collection cost £40 per page or less. I'm not saying £40 is a small amount of money, but compared to older pieces from popular artists, it is a cheaper way to collect.

I'm funding it by working my way through my loft and cupboards getting rid of years of collected toys, LPs, DVDs and all sorts of stuff via eBay and the classifieds. Met some lovely people who collect old car brochures, Transformers, Action Man, Star Wars toys, Corgi toy cars and all sorts of other 'collectables' that have hung around my place and I need to get rid of. I was surprised at just how much some of it is worth! The cash is recycled into squiggles on paper!

I can really recommend having a clear out. I've got loads more room, the place is tidier and I get a few quid to spend on my new passion...