Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 August, 2013, 09:57:15 AM
Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 29 August, 2013, 08:47:10 PM
That's unusual from what I can tell, I wonder what the letterers thought of that...

Artist-drawn sound effects are always a bit a vexed question for letterers: there's not a one of us who doesn't like to see beautifully executed FX work like Colin's on these pages. Most of the time, though, our reaction tends to be: "Oh, why did you have to go and do that?"

Cheers!

Jim

As I never, ever tire of looking at them, I'll stick a few examples of McCarthy sound FX in The Strangeness... thread (thisaway).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 30 August, 2013, 10:33:40 AM
The lettering is superb here of course but I can imagine there might be artists who may think they are stronger in that area than they are. Jim, in such a case are you authorised to remove those elements or would that be a no-no?

Not all letterers have access to the final, high-res art files — several publishers marry up the lettering with the finished art in-house which would make amending the art a non-starter. Most of the publishers I work for do let me have the finished high-res colours and I've been known to unilaterally erase mis-spelled or crappy signage. FX work, for some reason, seems different but I have asked (and been given permission) to remove poor SFX on occasion. I'd never do it without asking, though.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 August, 2013, 01:30:20 PM
Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 30 August, 2013, 10:33:40 AM
Most of the publishers I work for do let me have the finished high-res colours and I've been known to unilaterally erase mis-spelled or crappy signage.

Lettering is an art all its own. Thanks for the 'behind the scenes'!
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

o1s1n

Holy crap man, you just keep acquiring fantastic pages! They're really really lovely.

Greg M.

Ah, you finally got a page from the Weston Nemesis! Well done - it's an extremely good one! The Canon Fodder cover is also cool - the second series was surprisingly good.

Skullmo

Got a lovely Devlin Waugh cover too! This photo does not do it justice!

Skullmo

Quote from: o1s1n on 30 August, 2013, 08:23:17 PM
Holy crap man, you just keep acquiring fantastic pages! They're really really lovely.

I have a special nose for sniffing out greatness!

Greg M.

Bloody hell, this is a haul and a half! The Waugh is the crowning glory - unless there's more to come?

Skullmo

;-)

No more 2000ad art tonight unfortunately!

hippynumber1

You bought the Waugh cover; you sneaky fucker!  :o

Simon Beigh

For my money, pound for pound, at the end of the day, when all is said and done - Chris Weston is the MAN! Look at that stuff. It's awesome! Well done, mate!

Skullmo

Quote from: SimeonB on 30 August, 2013, 09:33:44 PM
For my money, pound for pound, at the end of the day, when all is said and done - Chris Weston is the MAN! Look at that stuff. It's awesome! Well done, mate!

And it's tiny! this is an A4 scan. The man is a genius!

Skullmo

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 30 August, 2013, 09:25:15 PM
You bought the Waugh cover; you sneaky fucker!  :o

An A4 scan just for you (so you can get an idea of the size!

And just so you know, I really did have beans on toast for dinner!