Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartosznowicki

My first original 2000ad page. Slaine by Simon Davis - Primordial Part 3, Page 3.

Link Prime

Picked this up recently for A SONG.

It's a Dark Justice prelim by The Stapler, and when I say "prelim" I mean "holy sh!t".

For fans of the artists process, there was an added bonus; there are also two aborted attempts of the same image on the reverse of the page.

Interestingly, the seller (hey there Steve, if you're a member of the Forum) told me that every single published page from Dark Justice was bought by a single collector.

Lucky bugger.

ming

I saw that; very nice!  It's a hand-coloured stat, right?  Really nice to see this kind of thing pop up.

Link Prime

Quote from: ming on 24 June, 2015, 10:11:40 AM
I saw that; very nice!  It's a hand-coloured stat, right? 

Very difficult to describe Ming, but I'll post an image of the reverse later to better illustrate; it seems that Staples made multiple copies of the image (and I assume other pages from Dark Justice) using copies of a 'bare-outline' prelim.
He then penciled / painted the stat by hand. I believe the image I've shown is mostly hand drawn / painted (over the basic stat prelim).

Link Prime

Update on this piece; as Ming suggested, the grey-scale artwork is indeed a stat, the only hand drawn elements are the coloured portions and Judge Fire flame effect. Still lovely stuff though.

Now I'm curious about the images on the back page!
Half of which seems to be the top half of this page, the other half (upside down) is the basic outline prelim of the page.

Mikey

That's really nice Link. I think I'd almost prefer that to the admittedly glorious fully painted pages.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Skullmo

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 June, 2015, 12:55:57 PM
Update on this piece; as Ming suggested, the grey-scale artwork is indeed a stat, the only hand drawn elements are the coloured portions and Judge Fire flame effect. Still lovely stuff though.

Now I'm curious about the images on the back page!
Half of which seems to be the top half of this page, the other half (upside down) is the basic outline prelim of the page.

post the images on the back!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Dr Feeley Good

Link Prime

Cheers guys.

Ok, here are the images on the back:

First up, a portion of the same image, in grey-scale.

Link Prime

Inverted on the same page; the outline prelim.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Skullmo on 25 June, 2015, 12:39:53 PM
How strange

Not if you're using a lightbox to work on the other side of the paper.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Fungus

Stick it on the hardback cover and call it an art therapy book.
Colouring in Nausea always settles me down after a long day.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 June, 2015, 12:44:54 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 25 June, 2015, 12:39:53 PM
How strange

Not if you're using a lightbox to work on the other side of the paper.

Cheers

Jim

Whats the premise for that technique, Jim?
I'm genuinely curious, as the grey-scale image on the back (that is in the same vertical direction) isn't 'mirrored' to the front image.

blackmocco

Might just have been an earlier attempt.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com