Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan1

Anyone who has "Die Another Die" as his favourite Bond film is not cute, or contentious, or amusingly wilful.

They're fucking mentally ill.

Professor Bear

Live and Let Die is fantastic: Bond hang gliding while smoking a cigar with one hand and leaning on the steering bar with his free arm, "that's some disguise you got there", the only decent thing Wings ever did, "You some kind of doomsday machine, boy?", "pimpmobile" being an actual make of car according to the CIA, the boat chase, Baron Samedi...

On the other hand, there's two good Bond movies in Die Another Day, it's just that the 'suave and aging imperialist assassin being sold out, nearly broken in captivity and then seeking revenge'film does not gel with the 'superhero fights a cyborg with an orbiting death laser' film, and I don't mean the disparate elements are put together badly, I mean they are actually at odds with each other, with the North Korea/Hong Kong/Cuba sections about a guy whose trade is being canny, brutal and low key (Dalton, Connery), and the London/Ice Hotel/plane fight bits being about someone who is quite clearly an international celebrity stumbling into occasionally ludicrous fights (Lazenby, Moore) that may or may not include Power Rangers cosplay and/or lasers.  Either would have made a great Bond separately - together, not so much.
And the theme song is terrible not just as a Bond theme but as a Madonna single, being nothing more than a B-side from the Music era at best.

Spaceghost

Quote from: brendan1 on 11 October, 2011, 03:03:22 PM
Anyone who has "Die Another Die" as his favourite Bond film is not cute, or contentious, or amusingly wilful.

They're fucking mentally ill.

...and there I was, worrying about slagging off Moulin Rouge. You really know how to get people on your side don't you brendan? Cheezus.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SmallBlueThing

Reporty reporty report report.

SBT

brendan1

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 11 October, 2011, 03:20:16 PM
Reporty reporty report report.

SBT

You're a strange, sad little man.

SmallBlueThing

And you, Brendan, have no friends and no social skills whatsoever. I really, really pity you- you just dont seem to be able to help yourself! In your own way, you're quite amusing at times, but bloody hell...

And reported again, by the way.

SBT

COMMANDO FORCES

I've just finished watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and it was typical bollocks from Bay. Slow motion shots, no one can shoot straight, low angle upward shots of characters, editing all over the place, explosions galore but hardly anyone dies, etc... I was amazed that I didn't fast forward it at any time, then again I am bored waiting for my Mongrol vid to bloody well upload.

brendan1

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 11 October, 2011, 03:25:26 PM
And you, Brendan, have no friends and no social skills whatsoever. I really, really pity you- you just dont seem to be able to help yourself! In your own way, you're quite amusing at times, but bloody hell...

And reported again, by the way.

SBT

For what? Saying you're strange? You are.

Professor Bear

Take some drugs, Brendan.  Don't be such a square.

Eric Plumrose

Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

COMMANDO FORCES

Don't take drugs Brendan, you may end up at the place my good lady works  :thumbsdown:

Professor Bear

At this stage I think the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

Dandontdare

I'm waiting for the Tim Burton remake of Moulin Rouge just so we can watch SBT's head explode with conflicting opinions.

JamesC

I've never seen Die Another Day. It's the only Bond film apart from Quantum that I haven't seen (not for any particular reason, just haven't got round to it).
I really want to watch it now to see what all the fuss is about!

My favourite Bond film is 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. Love Roger Moore, love Jaws, sexy bond girl, union jack parachute. Brilliant! And on top of that there's a submarine Lotus Esprit!

Back on topic the last film I watched was Stephen King's 'IT' (technically a TV mini series).
It was pretty good. Typical Stephen King childhood nostalgia and a decent monster but the scariest thing was the 90's fashions (particularly the hair cuts) and piss poor soundtrack.

There's something about 90's American tv soundtracks that is just unbelievably awful (Masters of Horror and Outer Limits suffer too). Everything sounds like it's off one of those 'Copyright free' CDs.

SmallBlueThing

Tim Burton remaking Moulin Rouge? Bring it on- i love a good moan! No, id love to see Baz remake a few Burton movies- just imagine a huge, spectacular version of Batman with songs and dancing, or Sleepy Hollow rendered not boring. You could even keep the same cast, but jazz it up a bit. Make it look like it wasnt designed by whoever paints those 'vampire lady' cards you find in new age shops.

And re: It, oddly i almost bought that today for a fiver in hmv's Halloween promotion. However, thete's no way i'd ever get my eldest to watch as he's petrified of tim curry as pennywise, having just seen pics in old fangorias.

I have new Brit/African zombie epic 'The Dead' to watch tomorrow night, which ive been looking forward to for about a year.

SBT