Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Kerrin on 23 September, 2009, 08:52:54 PM
Finished "Transition", loved it. If you're a fan of Banks, it's a good one.

Bah -- gonna have to wait another week or so until Bleep.com charges Stevie's Warp20 boxset* what he pre-ordered before he can think about the Banksy.

*2 new Seefeel cuts hot ding!!!  ;D
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

I, Cosh

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 24 September, 2009, 09:57:52 AM
*2 new Seefeel cuts hot ding!!!  ;D
Really? Stuff that's not on the rerelease of Quique?
We never really die.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 September, 2009, 10:11:43 AM
Really? Stuff that's not on the rerelease of Quique?

You betcha Cosh.

Lookee here http://warp.net/records/warp20/warp20-box-set-first-tracklistings-confirmed

Their cover of 'Acrobat' by Maximo Park is also available separately on http://warp.net/records/releases/various-artists/warp20-recreated

Whilst we're talking Warp, the following news vaulted Stevie into the exact same realm of delight as small children are by an especially wobbly jelly http://warp.net/records/broadcast/new-mini-album-broadcast-and-the-focus-group-investigate-witch-cults-of-the-radio-age-out-now-to-download

Bookwise, Ï was just about to embark upon Paul MacAuley's The Quiet War until learning that there is a sequel; so shall hold off until I can read both together.

I've delved instead into the geological strata of my To Read pile & surfaced with The Difference Engine. Only 20 pages in but Sterling & Gibson have done a topnotch job of worldbuilding & introducing Our Protagonist so no complaints thus far.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

COMMANDO FORCES

I shall be starting Triumff by Mr Dan Abnett in the next few days when play.com deliver it.
Had a good old chat with Dan about it earlier in The Grinning Demon and am really interested to see how he goes about with this trilogy in his version of now.

Paul faplad Finch

I shall definitely be picking up Triumff. This and the new Pratchett (which I had convinced myself was due much earlier in the year and have therefore been waiting very impatiently for) are the next new books on my want list. Of course I've still not read Bloodline yet, despite starting it a good couple of weeks ago. I do seem to be neglecting my books of late. Must do better.

I've read only two of Mr Abnetts previous novels - the first Gaunt book and the first Horus Heresy book, which convinced me to read the rest of the series of which I recently finished the 3rd - and since they were both shared universe tie-ins to a game system I have less than no interest in and yet still managed to hook me completely I am mucho intrigued as to what he can do when let loose on his own creations.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

O Lucky Stevie!

Halfway through The Difference Engine which is thrumming along very nicely. Stevie's long rated Sterling but may need to reassess my opinion on that cove Gibson. Mallory's encounter with Hetty is an especially incisive piece of writing -- both tender & poignant.

Odd_Bloke

I read Dawnthief by James Barclay in the last 36 hours or so, which is brilliant fantasy.  Comes highly recommended.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 29 September, 2009, 03:35:45 AM
Halfway through The Difference Engine which is thrumming along very nicely.

Ooh. I'm jealous -- nothing like reading a good book for the first time, and The Difference Engine is a very good book. If it weren't the perilously unstable stack of unread books that's accumulating on the bedside table, I'd be tempted to dig that one out and read it again.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

I'm with Jim on that.  It's such a good read.  And this from someone who, for the most part, avoids sci-fi in novel form (don't know why, I just do).  Reading that for the first time was a rush.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 29 September, 2009, 03:35:45 AM

Stevie's long rated Sterling but may need to reassess my opinion on that cove Gibson

I'm a big Gibson fan, but I think that one's appreciation of his work changes when you realize that he's actually a travel writer.

I'd actually recommend Pattern Recognition, which isn't SF at all, but which turns that neon-washed, slightly hallucinatory vision of Gibson's onto a contemporary setting with startling clarity.

Cheers!

Jim

TordelBack

QuoteI'd actually recommend Pattern Recognition, which isn't SF at all, but which turns that neon-washed, slightly hallucinatory vision of Gibson's onto a contemporary setting with startling clarity.

Agreed, very good stuff.  The Neuromancer 'sequels' eroded my interest in Gibson, but later stuff like the Bridge books and Pattern Recognition are great.  Haven't tried Spook Country yet, any takers?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 September, 2009, 08:27:40 AM
Agreed, very good stuff.  The Neuromancer 'sequels' eroded my interest in Gibson, but later stuff like the Bridge books and Pattern Recognition are great. 

I liked Virtual Light, but thought Idoru was really quite weak, to the extent that it put me off reading All Tomorrow's Parties until quite recently, which was a shame, because it's a fantastic book.

QuoteHaven't tried Spook Country yet, any takers?

It's in the unstable pile. Now that the winter nights are drawing in, I may well have a bash.

Cheers!

Jim

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 September, 2009, 10:38:23 PM
but I think that one's appreciation of his work changes when you realize that he's actually a travel writer.

Rightyo, All tomorrow's parties & burning chrome didn't do it for me but I'll keep that in mind

TordelBack

QuoteRightyo, All tomorrow's parties & burning chrome didn't do it for me but I'll keep that in mind

Yeah, Burning Chrome did absolutely nothing for me either.  Note to Mr. Gibson:  you are not meant to be a short-story writer.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 September, 2009, 09:15:11 AM
QuoteRightyo, All tomorrow's parties & burning chrome didn't do it for me but I'll keep that in mind
Yeah, Burning Chrome did absolutely nothing for me either.  Note to Mr. Gibson:  you are not meant to be a short-story writer.
Really? I think Hinterlands and Red Star, Winter Orbit from that collection are two of the best things he's done. Reading his later stuff I think he sees himself more in a hard-boiled noir tradition with the sci-fi trappings not much more than window dressing. Except Neuromancer, obviously.
We never really die.