Main Menu

yoincks! followed closely by bah!

Started by judgefloyd, 20 April, 2013, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 09 September, 2019, 12:10:13 PM
More of a Bah followed by Yoinks! but...

Bah! Didn't get one of the jobs I went for last week, onwards and all that....

Yoinks! Got second place in candidate position out of 40 for one role so not bad going, and theirs always the other company to wait on...

Nice one, you must be doing something right  :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Jinxed!

Bah- Didn't get the job.

Yoinks- Macross Plus the Movie in London this weekend, and another two interviews for journalism positions next week. Lets fuckin' go.

Bolt-01

Go on, Lad! Keep punchin' - there 'is' a post out there for you.

And enjoy that there Londinium, too.

von Boom

Hard luck Hawks. Hope the next ones work out for you.

JayzusB.Christ

Ah, sorry to hear that, Hawks.  Plenty more jobs out there, and you have the massive advantage of being way younger than most of us here.

If it's any use in the future, here's the CBT-related interview advice I mentioned before (starting about the 16 minute mark or so).

https://youtu.be/BAYntwWXAtM
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Hawks tiresome Y!FCBB Work Edition Vol.5:

Yoinck! OK so though I said I wanted to avoid hospitality but I really need money, and a former employer of mine from probably the one good outlet i've worked for has approached me to help manage a new store they're opening in Victoria. Good money for what it is, it's a stop gap, plus discounted travel as I work in the station so gonna be milking that plus!

Yoinck! Pt. 2! After a surprisingly short period wait period, my application for a Voluntary Placement at BBC Media City (Radio Manchester and 5Live) for 10 days has been approved, interview for opportunity is next week, and if nothing else will get me to network a bit. Fingers crossed for this....

Bah!: Waiting. So much waiting. It's the absolute worst part of undertaking anything of this nature because you seemingly can't just start ASAP. Bah! Double Bah!

TordelBack

Yoincks! My work situation is currently the best it's been for many years, a main interesting four-month contract with a very professional client that is paying me about twice the rate I was able to get just 3 years ago, and a few little side projects that I can keep ticking over. I keep waiting for the catch, and uh-oh here it is...

Bah! A petrol-guzzling commute is causing me angst. 5hrs a day by multiples of public transport or just 2hrs by car. Guess how my environmental principles fared against tge prospect of leaving the house at 5am and returning at 730pm. It doesn't help that a similar equation has played out in almost every project I've had this year.

Tiplodocus

When faced with similar, I opted for public transport and then used the time to do all of the "me stuff" ( reading, writing, playing games which with technology now could expand to watching tv) so that when I finally got home, I could spend what time I had on family time. (But I suppose driving is a good time to catch up on podcasts and audio books etc.)

Of course this went by the way side and after a few years my public transport time was used for sleeping and apologising profusely to the person I had dribbled on.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

I've justified/endured long PT commutes on that very basis, but the maths on this on just doesn't seem to work: 9.5 hrs at work plus 5 hours travel plus entirely notional 8 hours sleep leaves 1.5 hours a day for *everything* else. And the commute is a mix of walk-bus-walk-coach-walk out and walk-bus-tram-walk back so even the possibility of getting work done is limited. I can't see myself surviving 4 months of that, even with mobile gaming and Netflix.

I think I'll just have to mix it up during the week, maybe drive Tuesdays and Thursdays and grin and bear it the rest.

The Legendary Shark

Can you do a deal with a local taxi driver or firm?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Same amount of gas though, innit? I don't mind the actual driving, podcasts and Ed Reardon's Week keep me more than entertained, I'm just trying not to drive if at all possible for environmental reasons, but find myself seduced by the convenience.

I have however hit on a partial solution - on days I drive I can head 20 minutes up to my elderly aunt's house and spend the evening there, doing chores/shopping/nattering, which means my mother won't have to do a considerably longer drive as often. I've kipped on her floor a  bit recently while she was unwell, so that's an option. It's hardly ideal for family life but it salves my conscience on two grounds.

Tiplodocus

I was lucky enough to be able to work from home or from a closer office. I don't know if that's  negotiable.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 November, 2019, 03:49:20 PM
I was lucky enough to be able to work from home or from a closer office. I don't know if that's  negotiable.

Alas, being a manager physically on site is what I charge 'em for!  My clients could actually do my job themselves, but their office is even further away than I am and they don't want the hassle that they are paying me (handsomely by my standards) to absorb. That's the very emphatic Yoincks! part of this post after all!

The issue is the need to go all the way into the city centre from the uttermost new suburbs wher'er I dwell and all the way back out again to even newer suburbs what we are building.  My ingenious better half has been concocting clever ways to get to site without going corewards by misusing airport shuttles and the like, but they all seem to fall down because I need to be on site before 0730 and there's a 15+ minute walk from the nearest bus-stop (which is the end of the line) and there just aren't faster services that get me out there for that time. 

There's a whopping irony in all this as 27 years ago my Final Year Dissertation was an analysis of the need for concentric (rather than just radial) PT services in the Dublin hinterland, and I turned down an offer of funding to develop it as a complete study because I thought it was so bloody boring and I wanted to do *this* instead...

Hopefully the follow-on contract I'm hoping to get in the Spring is one I can do from home, and thus re-establish my eremitic low-carbon ways (so many young people out there that I'm supposed to exchange pleasantries with, shudder).

By the standards of my profession the actual car-journey is laughably short, but I'm trying to do better. So for now it looks like it'll be as many trade-offs as I can manage.

Proudhuff

get a scrapheap bike and chain it up at the far end, 15 min walk becomes a 5 min hurl....
DDT did a job on me

maryanddavid

Drive, and offset the environmental impact by planting trees, or encouraging others too. Take a look at the your house to see where you can make it more efficient, in terms of lighting, heating, waste disposal etc.