Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 May, 2015, 09:09:01 AM

Also been playing The Evil Within again but on Nightmare difficulty and it is hard as NAILS. So difficult, and quite frustrating but I'm still enjoying the atmosphere of the whole thing, really like that game.

Stunning game, do you have any of the DLC? The one where you get to play as 'The Boxkeeper' looks promising.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Keef Monkey

Don't have the DLC yet, looking forward to picking it up at some point though! Looks like there are some pretty decent chunks of story in those episodes, playing as different characters and things, interesting stuff.

Every time I think about buying it though I think there's a chance the season pass might go on sale at some point so keep holding off!

Satanist

Evil Within DLC is great (pass was on sale at xmas for about 7 quid). The first 2 are story related and have some good moments. The final one is well different though. It reuses old locations but is played in first person as boxhead. and you get to use a chainsaw. Its basically a series of boss fights but I played it in one sitting while off work on Tuesday with a stinkin hangover.

Each piece of DLC is approx. 3 hours long. I really hope we get a true next gen sequel announced at E3.

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 May, 2015, 09:09:01 AM
Went back to Mordor to play some of the DLC (the Lord of The Hunt stuff), it was only a couple of hours end to end but it was great to go back to that game and remember how damn satisfying it all is. Been watching some of the recent Mad Max trailers and thinking that could turn out to be this year's Mordor but with cars. Can't wait!

I reinstalled that game along with Alien Isolation, Middle-Earth - Shadow of Mordor is the one you referring to.  Just to compare it to the one I'm playing now and the combat side of the game  still out class's it. As well as the graphics, they're less toonish.

Perhaps the learning curve for fighting in the new Witcher game is meant to be steeper and the graphic's a deliberate step away from realism. 

MY last game session after playing it on and off  yesterday could have ben close to five hours. Simply because  the time it took to reload the game after getting Geralt killed  was close to twenty minutes and this occurred about four to five times at least. Just over a hour and half of waiting for the game to load.

I'm definitely going to have to trim that video down a bit.   

Despite my early insecurities about this game, the side quests are very interesting, and more so than the main story line.     

Keef Monkey

Just finished the first Witcher on PC. I hated a great deal of it but found enough to like that I'm going to continue onto 2 and see what they improved.

I like the world and the characters a lot, and I liked the way some of it is presented (the paintings that show story transitions are particularly nice). There's a ton of combat in the game though and that part of things was a massive, massive slog. The combat is simply terrible, the worst kind of un-engaging 'click on things until they die and hope that they die before you die' combat. Boring and frustrating, I found when it came to dialogue choices and story options I wasn't picking what I thought was right for me, I was picking what I thought would avoid a fight because I couldn't face another one! It's made worse by the controls being really unresponsive and the fact it allows enemies to stun lock you constantly, and all you can do is sit back and wait for the game over screen. Quite confident to say it was the least enjoyable combat I've ever slogged through to finish a game.

The game is very obtuse in a lot of ways too, it doesn't explain its systems well if at all, meaning I really didn't know how to craft a lot of things that might have been really useful. I kept finding materials for crafting bombs but never once figured out how to make one, found a bunch of weapon upgrades but had no idea how to use them, the list goes on. I found the way it tracks quests made it so confusing to figure out what objectives would progress what strands that I eventually just decided not to do any side quests whatsoever just so I could rattle through it.

Despite all that though, when it ended (on a very badass and enticing cutscene) I found myself installing The Witcher 2 without even questioning it. I've got hopes that it'll be the world and characters I enjoyed but with a decent combat system, because that would make for a very cool game indeed.

J.Smith

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 June, 2015, 02:36:17 PM
Despite all that though, when it ended (on a very badass and enticing cutscene) I found myself installing The Witcher 2 without even questioning it. I've got hopes that it'll be the world and characters I enjoyed but with a decent combat system, because that would make for a very cool game indeed.

If I might suggest something: use a mod from the Nexus site for The Witcher 2 that allows you to get either 2 or 3 skill points per level instead of 1. The combat of the second game turns out to be really great once you've picked one or two of the main skill trees to focus on (if you were to use the mod that has 3 skill points though you can fill out all skill trees by the game's end) but it starts by making you put points into a training skill tree, which makes it incredibly frustrating for a while, especially since the roll Geralt has to dodge with starts off too short to really work properly and I think you can't immediately parry or use certain items in combat, such as daggers. It'd be fine if the combat were like the third game, which is more like the Souls series (you lock on to enemies in a better way than the second game and can both dodge and roll from the very start and there's just other, better functions added too), but you'll no doubt see for yourself that it's still a little weird, which is why I recommend using either of those mods. Sure, it's not how the developers intended you to play - but it is way more fun.

Even if you don't enjoy the combat, I'll be amazed if the world and characters don't surprise you this time around. Personally, I was rather blown away by the first game despite some of its flaws (mostly the setting, which is impressively detailed for the engine being used; and also, I love the entire swamp area in the second chapter), but the second game is truly way more ambitious. If you didn't know already, depending on a choice you make at the end of the first act / chapter, you play the remainder of the game from one of two entirely different perspectives, meeting different characters on one or the other and focusing on completely different goals by the end of the game.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 June, 2015, 02:36:17 PM
Just finished the first Witcher on PC. I hated a great deal of it but found enough to like that I'm going to continue onto 2 and see what they improved.

I like the world and the characters a lot, and I liked the way some of it is presented (the paintings that show story transitions are particularly nice). There's a ton of combat in the game though and that part of things was a massive, massive slog. The combat is simply terrible, the worst kind of un-engaging 'click on things until they die and hope that they die before you die' combat. Boring and frustrating, I found when it came to dialogue choices and story options I wasn't picking what I thought was right for me, I was picking what I thought would avoid a fight because I couldn't face another one! It's made worse by the controls being really unresponsive and the fact it allows enemies to stun lock you constantly, and all you can do is sit back and wait for the game over screen. Quite confident to say it was the least enjoyable combat I've ever slogged through to finish a game.

The game is very obtuse in a lot of ways too, it doesn't explain its systems well if at all, meaning I really didn't know how to craft a lot of things that might have been really useful. I kept finding materials for crafting bombs but never once figured out how to make one, found a bunch of weapon upgrades but had no idea how to use them, the list goes on. I found the way it tracks quests made it so confusing to figure out what objectives would progress what strands that I eventually just decided not to do any side quests whatsoever just so I could rattle through it.

I brought the first Witcher game off of Steam for less than five dollars and still think it shouldn't have cost me that much.

I played when I first got and thought the graphics were so bad that I just stopped. 

I decide to have another go and play the story side of it. Aside from believing that Geralt started out looking more creepy than they have made in each consecutive game. It's like he started out as some mal-formed elf warrior and in this present instalment look like passably good looking human.

His older friend who's name I forget, looks way cooler in the first game, and a little like heavy a set Kevin Kostnar sporting his Robinhood - Prince of Thieves hair style with touch of the Marinor from Waterworld, Not such bad dude, except that he doesn't appear to be much use in a fight. Like he expects Geralt to do all the work. (Despite being the highest ranking Wicher. Which may be his intention, considering that's what the elite do.

I totally agree that the combat stinks considering it was meant o be quite revolutionary in it's time about ten years ago. It's the most clumsy thing I encountered in a game like this. I was never quite sure about and recalling that I download the demo for this game using older computer at about roughly that time. It wasn't nearly good enough to run the game and everything ran slowly and kept freezing. S0, I just trashed it and never bothered
with the full version of the game until I saw it in Steam sale. I may get back to it some other time as I was playing it on hardest difficulty and got him killed after driving him most of the way through the introduction sequence where he was running around on top of some castle ramparts fighting some banditry. The same three types of bad guy over and over again.

I wrote a negative review for the second game and even paid about sixty dollars for it. (The game, not the review!) Guffawling  about it right now.....

CONTIUED LATER....

I, Cosh

Got Resogun half price last night. Was initially disappointed that it's basically Defender 2099, but there does seem to be scope for endless, score-chasing replay. It's the PS3 version so I imagine it's graphically inferior to its big cousin but graphics are the least important thing about this sort of game.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Working through the mild diversion which is Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask on the new 3DS XL.  I love doing these daft little puzzles. Well, I would, if the intermniable cut scenes would fucking well end.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 June, 2015, 12:55:22 PM
Working through the mild diversion which is Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask on the new 3DS XL.  I love doing these daft little puzzles. Well, I would, if the intermniable cut scenes would fucking well end.

The wee Oliver-lite side kick is a particular annoyance.

"Woi Professor Loiton, Oi've got it!"
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Been playing a bit of Screamride as a lunchtime diversion, it's pretty basic but quite addictive. All rollercoaster based and the career mode is split into 3 types of challenges - riding rollercoasters (and controlling the acceleration to stop it derailing in a Scalextric style), building rollercoasters and a destruction mode where you fire balls filled with people at buildings and try to cause as much destruction as possible.

That last one is a bit mad but also the most fun, mainly because the destruction is very granular and the way the buildings lose integrity is quite impressive and satisfying.

Hawkmumbler

Oh christ....The Steam summer sale is nearly here.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 June, 2015, 03:17:49 PM
Oh christ....The Steam summer sale is nearly here.

I'm staying well away from that.  I still have 30+ games I bought from the sales over the last three years I haven't even installed yet.

I have been playing the Witcher III on the PS4 though, which is excellent.  Thoroughly enjoying exploring the landscape, and as usual the story is totally engaging.

I didn't complete Witcher II (got maybe 2/3 through), as it's on my PC.  While my gaming rig is very very good, I don't really have a comfortable enough set-up in my computer room to justify spending hours on it.  I really prefer the couch/PS4 combo...

PS The Witcher II had full NVidia 3D Vision support and was absolutely spectacular in 3D.

ThryllSeekyr

I imagine The Witcher Three would look great on Oculus-Rift would be stunning, especially when using his vision power.

Yet, the graphics do  not look quite as well textured as what I've seen in Middle-Earth-Shadow-of-Mordor Which is just a example, there may be a few early gen games that do this.

I've ben making videos of game play since I got the game and its reason It may take me ages to complete the game. I went through a terabyte of memory very quickly and I last time I played I got stuck fighting some Arch-Griffon that's reputably resistance to fire and oddly resistance to Grape-shot bombs. Aside from the fact I've now found the enhanced version of that one and that Griffins are supposedly  vulnerable to the latter.

Not that he has to finish that one right not to make progress. Since I began playing this, it's my customary habit to to just randomly poke Geralt's nose in around the country side while not getting very fast through the main storyline on this game.

I already postponed the Missing Brother mission until I got more experienced and some thing like Enhanced-Insectoid-Oils  and a Silver-Viper sword and a fight with Night-Wraith in a field near one of the more rural parts of the countryside.  I spent the last few game sessions unsuccessfully getting Geralt back on track for the former mission.

I totally the lost the thread for the Hendrik mission which might move the story forward after questioning some lonely guy in a abandoned village due to my customary short span of attention. Otherwise there is plenty of other stuff to do in this game.

So, I haven't played this in nearly a week.

In the mean time, I have been playing this new survival game called Ark-Survival-Evolved.

Which is like a improved version of Reign of Kings with Dinosaurs.

I have two videos of how I faired in the game earlier.

Adam and Bob

I'm playing it much better now.

Theblazeuk

Contemplating Outlast on the sale. Alien Isolation left a horror itch that Amnesia couldn't reach due to ageing engine/overly gothicness.