Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 06 August, 2013, 07:40:13 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 06 August, 2013, 12:30:40 PM
Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 05 August, 2013, 11:40:39 PM
The Host.
Tedious, overly sentimental horseshit.

The trailer didn't tip you off?

Never seen the trailer.  Try to avoid trailers where I can.  Although I did know it was written by the Twilight types, so knew to set my expectations low.  But I had to watch it for the lead actress as she's been good in other stuff.

I wasn't been flippant Ghost, I just meant that the trailer deftly informed me of its tween target audience, thereby automatically removing it from my 'will ever watch' list.
Saorise Ronan grates on me a bit too though!

Ghost MacRoth

Didn't think you were mate. ;)  I just avoid trailers as they have in the past put me off films that I ended up liking, or encouraged me to watch some crap that wasn't worth the time it took to watch.  Also they give away too much for me.

I was told a while ago, a formula for trailers.  If it's over 30 seconds, and you get the basic idea of the film from it, the film will be shit.  If it's around 10 seconds long, and confuses the hell out of you, then you should probably give it a go.  Seems to be fairly worthwhile as theories go! ;)

Saw DARK SKIES last night.

Pretty standard alien abduction stuff.  Nicely shot and acted, but nothing new really.  Worth a watch, but certainly not a 'must see'.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Link Prime

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 07 August, 2013, 09:03:47 PM
I was told a while ago, a formula for trailers.  If it's over 30 seconds, and you get the basic idea of the film from it, the film will be shit.  If it's around 10 seconds long, and confuses the hell out of you, then you should probably give it a go.  Seems to be fairly worthwhile as theories go! ;)

My new rule of thumb!

Ghost MacRoth

Here's another one for you, if the trailer contains even a single second showing Will Ferrell, then it's NOT a comedy.  :P
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Link Prime

Even if its for Eastbound and Down?
If your answer is yes, you're dead inside!

Ghost MacRoth

Does Eastbound and Down feature Will Ferrell?  If your answer is yes, then to you, I am dead inside. ;)

Buttonman

Irish siege comedy Whole Lotta Soul which for some reason stars Brendan Fraser followed by some moody teens and Kristen Bell in the not very sexy drama The Lifeguard.

Sideshow Bob

Only God Forgives

Quote from: The Cosh on 05 August, 2013, 10:38:24 PM
I'd been looking forward to Only God Forgives, which I found very disappointing. There's no doubt it's a great looking film but everything about it is so mannered and stilted. There's a stiffness about the performances which is clearly deliberate, given that it's manifest in everyone other than Kristin Scott Thomas who is the only one who gets to have any fun.

In answer to your question The Cosh,
Yes,  most of the Thai dialogue is subtitled in the UK version which I watched....even the 'deliberately dreadful karaoke' singing......

I quite enjoyed this movie,  but on a first watch it does appear to have more style than substance....The deliberately 'stilted' acting did 'grate' a bit, but not to the detriment of the movie as a whole....It kind of  reminded me a little of the style of the 'Old Boy' movie...
Good performance from Kristen Scott Thomas ( what a complete bitch, and the all time mother from Hell ), and Ryan Gosling was also quite good, but due to the deliberate 'minimal emotion' he displayed throughout it was kind of hard to tell.... Plenty of ( particularly gory ) violence, bad language and an impressive ( very violent )  performance by the Cop with the blade.....Not an all out 'actioneer' and quite slow paced between the violence.....
All in all, quite a difficult one to recommend wholeheartedly, but if you are a fan of Korean Cinema and Movies like Old Boy, it's certainly worth a watch......
But at the showing I was at,  4 people walked out, muttering 'crap' .....It's not 'crap' but it's a strange one...
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 07 August, 2013, 09:03:47 PM
Didn't think you were mate. ;)  I just avoid trailers as they have in the past put me off films that I ended up liking, or encouraged me to watch some crap that wasn't worth the time it took to watch.  Also they give away too much for me.

Your theory is promising but you need to check your math

radiator

The Mist (2007).

Been meaning to watch this for ages and spotted it on Netflix. I liked it, but it was nothing amazing. It's really let down by the monsters and action scenes being totally unscary and tension-free - reminded me of Jumanji more than anything. Lots of unconvincing cgi. Would have been an infinitely better film in the hands of a proper horror director, and if we had only seen glimpses of the monsters.

Also, way, way overlong at two 2hrs+ - could have easily cut 40mins to make a nice, tight siege thriller.

NapalmKev

Quote from: radiator on 08 August, 2013, 03:22:37 PM
The Mist (2007).

Been meaning to watch this for ages and spotted it on Netflix. I liked it, but it was nothing amazing. It's really let down by the monsters and action scenes being totally unscary and tension-free - reminded me of Jumanji more than anything. Lots of unconvincing cgi. Would have been an infinitely better film in the hands of a proper horror director, and if we had only seen glimpses of the monsters.

Also, way, way overlong at two 2hrs+ - could have easily cut 40mins to make a nice, tight siege thriller.

It's not stunning but I did quite enjoy it, and it's very faithful to the book. Except for the ending; I actually preferred the film ending.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JamesC

The Mist is one of those films that works best if you know absolutely nothing about it but just happen to catch it on telly - like From Dusk Till Dawn or Rosemary's Baby.

Just to clarify - yes I'd heard of Rosemary's Baby the first time I saw it, but didn't know the film I was watching was Rosemary's Baby as it was pre-internet on a non-ceefax TV and I didn't have a TV guide. In those days if you didn't catch the titles you had no clue what you were watching!
I watched From Dusk Till Dawn with my dad - I'd seen it before but when the vampires turned up it blew his mind!

Richmond Clements

The B&W version of The Mist on the DVD works a lot better than the colour version.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: JamesC on 08 August, 2013, 03:35:57 PM
I watched From Dusk Till Dawn with my dad - I'd seen it before but when the vampires turned up it blew his mind!

Back in '96 (I think it was "Cinema Centenary day" or something) and you could get in the Cinema for a quid ("No, today is MY treat"), I took my bird along and allowed her to pick the movie.  She opted for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE but it was sold out so she asked the usher what FROM DUSK TIL DAWN was. He described it only in terms of the opening twenty minutes i.e. Tarantino, crims on the run, Harvey Keitel and George Clooney (a big draw for her) so that's what she opted for. I knew what was coming but wasn't telling. ;o)   
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

The guilty white liberal in me wanted to hate Lone Ranger, but it's alright.  It's biggest objective problems are that it's just too long and there's not enough action in it, while the Lone Ranger as a presence seems like an afterthought to the point he may as well not be in it at all, like they're ashamed or embarrassed by the very concept, but the odd bit is really fun, especially the final action scene set across two different trains to the Lone Ranger Theme and which has some great gunfighting, old-school stuntwork and the title character chasing the baddie down by riding Silver across the rooftops of the town and then across a moving train - that stuff is just the right mix of daft and awesome.  Fans of the Jonah Hex comic may find the old-Tonto-in-a-sideshow framing device to be a bit familiar, but everyone else will likely just think it a bit misjudged in terms of tone, though tone is all over the place throughout the film anyway so possibly not.

Is it the turkey the US media is saying?  Not so far as I can tell, it's nowhere near as bad as Wild Wild West, for instance - but does it look like it cost a quarter of a billion dollars?  Does it fuck.  I am calling it now, that cash went up someone's nose and then they went on a massive hobo-battering bender.