Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

I'm Still Here

Baffling and deeply deeply conceited - it thinks it's making a point, but by totally lying about it it totally undermines itself. Those concerned about Phoenix during that time were being deceived - and instead of being a statement on reality it ends up looking like snotty trollery.

It's interesting to see the way the media circus dehumanize their prey - especially the news channels and the paparazzi but beyond that the whole exercise feels indulgent and pointless - and with it's falsehoods ultimately seems to mock break-downs rather than contextualise them.

Fungus

Can't remember the last time I watched a non-cinema film to completion.

Had decent expectations of Avengers Assemble, but lasted 30 mins. Tosh. I really don't think I've lasted any Marvel films to their conclusions. Something about seeing four-colour characters on the big screen is fundamentally lame, I think.

The Pirates! ... blah... Scientists started extremely well, I think tiredness (working every day) meant I wilted, rather than blame the film. Maybe.

Hawkmumbler

Guardians of the Galaxy with family. Mother hated it which mean't everyone else loved it. Good stuff.

Intersteller with friends and it was kinda visually stunning but very, very flat on character building. I guess it's one of them where you need to read between the lines and think about what we didn't see (Like that guy who stayed on the space station for decades and nearly lost his mind). Robots where bloody cool though. They had sass.

CrazyFoxMachine

Vi är bäst!

This tale of bored Swedish teens forming a punk band is wonderfully shot and singularly evocative - and as much as it doesn't really 'go' anywhere particularly, being absurdly naturalistic and brilliantly performed it provokes memories of awkward early teens more than perhaps any other film I've seen. For that it's unforgettable and the final high note is breathlessly joyful. Brilliant.

blackmocco

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 31 December, 2014, 12:04:42 PM
Vi är bäst!

This tale of bored Swedish teens forming a punk band is wonderfully shot and singularly evocative - and as much as it doesn't really 'go' anywhere particularly, being absurdly naturalistic and brilliantly performed it provokes memories of awkward early teens more than perhaps any other film I've seen. For that it's unforgettable and the final high note is breathlessly joyful. Brilliant.

Yep. Just saw this last week. Excellent. Might be my favorite movie of the year.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Dandontdare

Cockneys vs Zombies. More like pish vs shite. Some venerable British TVcomedy talent in this who should've know better, it starts out as a poor cockney gangster comedy - and then all of a sudden zombies appear with no explanation and the former plot is abandoned.

ZenArcade

Kind Hearts and Coronets. Alec Guinness at his best. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

radiator

Paddington.

Wow, had heard great things but was still blown away. An absolute triumph and far funnier than most films that call themselves 'comedies'. Just beautifully put together and made me well up several times even though i have no real affection for the original stories.

Instant christmas classic and Blu Ray purchase as far as I'm concerned. Just smashing.

5/5

Mardroid

Avengers.

I saw it at the cinema and liked it. Got it on Blu-ray recently, and having just rewatched it, yes it still holds up...

I wouldn't say it's a brilliant film, but it's good fun.

CrazyFoxMachine

Finally... The Grand Budapest Hotel

For a long-time fan of Anderson I waited quite a long while to see his latest film but on seeing it at last I wasn't disappointed in the least.

With Budapest's otherwordly caper and rich ensemble cast we're skating majestically into Zissou territory which is where I first fell in WesLove. Fiennes is captivating and Revolori's Zero is excellent but mark my words - if Anderson's eccentrically intricate worlds are not to your taste this won't convert you. For the initiated however it is as sophisticated and adventurous as he's ever been and remarkably captivating for it. Onwards and Weswards.

Recrewt

Quote from: Mardroid on 01 January, 2015, 11:50:51 PM
Avengers.

I saw it at the cinema and liked it. Got it on Blu-ray recently, and having just rewatched it, yes it still holds up...

I've seen the Avengers movie a few times now and it does hold up well to repeat viewings. It really is a fantastic movie and I can find hardly any faults with it (apart from Hulk's insta change from mindless beast to following orders).  I do wonder if this movie has been partly overshadowed by all the comic related movies that have been released but this one really is the best and viewed individually, it's up there with the best 'family' action movies ever made.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 03 January, 2015, 01:24:39 PM
Finally... The Grand Budapest Hotel

For a long-time fan of Anderson I waited quite a long while to see his latest film but on seeing it at last I wasn't disappointed in the least.

Me to, long term fan of Anderson and yet I'm still to see this as well, thanks for the reminder...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Recrewt on 03 January, 2015, 03:11:41 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 01 January, 2015, 11:50:51 PM
Avengers.

I've seen the Avengers movie a few times now and it does hold up well to repeat viewings. It really is a fantastic movie and I can find hardly any faults with it (apart from Hulk's insta change from mindless beast to following orders).

Hmm, I watched Avengers for the first time at Crimbo and wasn't impressed. My mind frequently wandered from the action onscreen and even though I know for a fact I watched right through to the end of the credits I can't even remember how it ended. I didn't really laugh much, I didn't follow the plot and it never really had me gripped. Dare I say it was quite... boring? 4/10

Also saw Gaurdians of the Galaxy for the first time; this was one Marvel movie that I was actually excited about seeing since I first saw the trailer earlier this year. It was very enjoyable but totally failed to live up to the hype. It suffered from the same problem as most Marvel movies - a paper-thin plot with a poorly-concieved maguffin for everybody to chase and a baddie who barely manages as many as two dimensions with the vaugest of vauge motivations. I watched it with people who'd all seen it before (and loved it) and I asked them mid-way through what Ronan's deal was. I got utterly blank looks from the rest of the room. I clarified, 'I know he's the baddie, right? But what exactly does he want? What's he trying to do?' Nobody had the faintest clue. Nobody could tell me who Karen Gillan's character was, other than 'Er... her name's Nebula', or explain anything about Gamora other than 'She's betraying Thanos' (and no, I didn't really understand the Thanos character either). To be honest, Starlord was the only character in the film who was given a decent backstory, purpose and motivation. My friends seemed content to just sit back, disengage brains and enjoy the Wedon-esque banter, cheerfully ignoring the plot holes which I suppose is the spirit in which you're meant to watch a film about a talking space raccoon. Good fun but I wouldn't watch it twice, even it was on TV. 6/10?

I don't think the Marvel movies are for me. The only one I've seen that needed no apoligies made for it was Captain America 2 - a proper plot with proper baddies and motivations. Just a good film, rather than 'good for a Marvel movie.' Anyway, I also recently watched The Dark Knight (great fun, 8/10) and Force 10 from Navarrone (damn fine romp, 8/10) - what's not love about a film where a chip-on-his-shoulder Carl Weathers has a knife-fight with Jaws from the Bond films, playing a cossack working for the Nazis?
@jamesfeistdraws

Professor Bear

Ronan is a space terrorist with the exact same motivations as the Pakistani jihadis in the most recent season of Homeland.