Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

The Borg were initially conceived as an insectoid collective. Their having a Queen is (I presume) an extrapolation of that and besides. Alice Krige.

I don't disagree though her introduction diminishes the Borg but . . . Alice Krige.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

JamesC

The Borg are full of surprises. For a collective in which 99.9% look like rip offs of characters from Eliminators or Centurions they seem to have some rather attractive ladies knocking about.

shaolin_monkey

I loved the Borg when they first turned up.  The thought of losing your ID/ego to make a tiny part of one consciousness was a truly unnerving thing for me.

Then the Queen turned up, and it was all like 'they're just ants - well that's not frightening at all'.  The Queen completely destroyed the entire concept of the Borg for me, forever.

NapalmKev

The Borgs best feature used to be that (unlike every other Star Trek alien) they couldn't be reasoned with. When they came knocking at your door you knew there would be trouble. Then Voyager came along and they suddenly become (partially) open to diplomacy!

I watched Cell the other day. Yes, I know it's not released yet but if it was of a certain standard I would have paid to see it later on the big screen. It's not great. The film is (loosely) based on the Stephen King book of the same name but with a much less coherent narrative. Fans of a certain Premier league football team will probably enjoy the ending.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

ZenArcade

Yes, it was the otherness of the Borg which was hugely appealing for me.  I partially understand the point that it is hard to develop story lines with adversaries who will have the same assimilation with no compromise approach to any situation involving them.
To me however, it lessened the concept immensely,having a partial dilution of this monolithic gestalt entity engendering nodal direction and leadership types (Queen/Queens and for that matter Locutus) with individuality and frankly hackneyed emotional attributes and reactions.
The faceless cube and the eerie drones with agendas so different from those of the the explorers in the J 25 system exemplified this to me.
A real quasi eusocial entity in my opinion would neither want nor need such types.  Rather any interaction with them would be akin to facing down a very adaptive, intelligent Tsunami. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Tiplodocus

Prodded by this discussion, I started watching this again this morning with my breakfast.

Goodness it also moves at a BREATHLESS pace but still manages to be perfectly clear. The whole narrative set up is done in the first twenty minutes (and has managed to include a superb space battle) and by forty minutes they've introduced every character, especially the new ones (Cochrane, Lily and the Queen plus a few red shirts) and their relationships (and managed to include some great on ship fights with the borg, a wee Voyager cameo and the Data blow job).

There's some lovely handwaving about the Qeen in the script itself ("You imply disparity where none exists" and "You are thinking so three dimensionally").
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Link Prime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 June, 2016, 10:55:02 AM
The whole narrative set up is done in the first twenty minutes (and has managed to include a superb space battle)

Including a memorable appearance of the USS Defiant.

Goaty

JamesC

Quote from: ZenArcade on 22 June, 2016, 10:24:31 AM
Yes, it was the otherness of the Borg which was hugely appealing for me.  I partially understand the point that it is hard to develop story lines with adversaries who will have the same assimilation with no compromise approach to any situation involving them.
To me however, it lessened the concept immensely,having a partial dilution of this monolithic gestalt entity engendering nodal direction and leadership types (Queen/Queens and for that matter Locutus) with individuality and frankly hackneyed emotional attributes and reactions.
The faceless cube and the eerie drones with agendas so different from those of the the explorers in the J 25 system exemplified this to me.
A real quasi eusocial entity in my opinion would neither want nor need such types.  Rather any interaction with them would be akin to facing down a very adaptive, intelligent Tsunami. Z

An intelligent tsunami is a good description.
I think disaster movie style storytelling is more suitable for a Borg story than trying to make them fit a 'goodies vs baddies' narrative.

Steve Green

Total Recall 2012.

Po-faced, too many videogame platform sequences, JJ Abrams level lensflares.

At the least the original had some fun.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 June, 2016, 12:37:36 PM
Total Recall 2012.

Po-faced, too many videogame platform sequences, JJ Abrams level lensflares.

At the least the original had some fun.
Oh wow, I forgot that movie existed! :lol:

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 June, 2016, 10:55:02 AM
Prodded by this discussion, I started watching this again this morning with my breakfa

Damn your green-blooded sauropodomorph logic, Tips!  Now I'll have to watch it again too.

(On your first 20 minutes, why does the Federation make its stand in Earth orbit? Why are the Defiant crew the only ones the Enterprise bothers to rescue?  Why is Worf the only DS9 crewman on the Defiant bridge? Why is Worf put at Tactical on a starship he's never even set foot on, and then seemingly  put in command of Security? If the Borg can time-travel to assimilate tough foes, why don't they just do that?)

Link Prime

Quote from: Tordelback on 22 June, 2016, 01:50:15 PM
(On your first 20 minutes, why does the Federation make its stand in Earth orbit? Why are the Defiant crew the only ones the Enterprise bothers to rescue?  Why is Worf the only DS9 crewman on the Defiant bridge? Why is Worf put at Tactical on a starship he's never even set foot on, and then seemingly  put in command of Security? If the Borg can time-travel to assimilate tough foes, why don't they just do that?)

"One to Beam Up"

Tiplodocus

Earth orbit defense? It isn't. The fleet originally messes in the Tyfon (sp. ?) Sector but you hear it taking a good kicking. I assume by the time Enterprise gets to Earth this is very much a last stand.

Defiant: that's the only one you explicitly see them saving. It's not to say they didn't save more. But a sequence of transporter orders would make a full movie.

Worf: dunno what you mean about only DS9 crew member. Again he's the only one you explicitly see the others stay in sick bay but Word comes to the bridge presumably because that's where his Enterprise bros and hos  are.

Tactical: I assume one space shop tactical LCARS interface is much like another. Plus he's a bad ass  good guy.

Security - yway off choice that. He wouldn't  know the new shop layout.

Time travel: Maybe this was the first time they tried it but, because it failed and cost them a Queen, they never tried it again.

Ihave few issues with the set up.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Well about time travel, in Star Trek Voyager episode;

Seven of Nine: [describing a causality loop] The Borg once traveled back in time to stop Zephram Cochrane from breaking the warp barrier. They succeeded, but that in turn led the Starship Enterprise to intervene. They assisted Cochrane with the flight the Borg were trying to prevent. Causal loop complete.
Lieutenant Ducane: So, in a way, the Federation owes its existence to the Borg.
Seven of Nine: You're welcome