Main Menu

PlayStation 5 / Xbox Series X mega-thread!

Started by Darren Stephens, 14 June, 2020, 11:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I failed utterly to get either console and am hacked off with the scalpers.

Pre-order and launch day, had one in my basket at Microsoft, John Lewis, Argos, Amazon, Asda and Game... both consoles (well, not the PS5 at the Microsoft store!) and each time checkout failed and then stock was gone.

Twice I got as far as having a bank approval code texted to me.

Really pissed off as I wanted to get one of them for my boys' Christmas... and mine!
Lock up your spoons!

shaolin_monkey

I got the Oculus Quest 2 instead, and it's a blast!

Link Prime

Halfway through 2021 and still can't get my hands on a PS5 for love nor money.

Anyone know if pre-orders are available from any UK / ROI retailers?

repoman

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 June, 2021, 11:30:33 AM

Because I've googled it once or twice for friends, most days I get a story on the default page of Chrome on my Android phone about companies who are expecting stock.  No idea if they are accurate though.  I think that people like Curry's let you sign up for the chance to have one reserved but it's a bit of a lottery.

dossa1uk

I was lucky enough to get one thanks to following a restock account on Twitter.  There's a few accounts to choose from, but provided you are ready to go for it when the restocks are posted (it's like chum in the water) then you've got a decent chance. 

The Enigmatic Dr X

I registered interest with ShopTo. They give registered folk an email invite to buy when they get stock. I got one about six weeks after registering. It was a bundle with an extra controller and Cyberpunk, both of which I sold on eBay
Lock up your spoons!

Radbacker

I don't want one yet but I need to make sure I have a PS5 when the new Battlefield comes out as last gen versions are effectively going to be a different game from what I've heard.

CU Radbacker

Link Prime

Cheers lads, have looked around there a bit over the weekend, but still can't find a retailer that would place you on a 'guaranteed' pre-order list (including Smyths Toys).
My offer of pre-paying the €500 in advance was laughed at.

Darren Stephens

So, I started this thread and have still not picked up a PS5. Not only because they are rare as rocking horse poodoo, but....there's nothing been shown that really grabs me. Yet!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 15 June, 2021, 09:14:40 PM
So, I started this thread and have still not picked up a PS5. Not only because they are rare as rocking horse poodoo, but....there's nothing been shown that really grabs me. Yet!

This is a good point. That and the fact that games are £70 a pop!

I mean, I would play the new Ratchet & Clank. But not for £70. Game pass is much better value, frankly.

Still, my PS4 was loud and on its last legs. So now I can clear its backlog in fast-loading silence while I wait on new stuff that is a reasonable price.
Lock up your spoons!

Link Prime

Seemed  to be a flurry of PS5 stock in various locations in ROI last week, so thanks to a colleague who held one in an online basket for me, I had an order via Currys / PC World.

Delivered and set-up yesterday evening.

The size of the feckin thing. I had specific console shelving hand made for my den - it doesn't fit in any of the slots, so now stands awkward and tall beside the TV, like a Sydney Opera House shaped gargoyle.

Link Prime

Have to say, the PS5 is an impressive bit of kit.

Anyone else play the free 'Astro's Playroom'? I had no idea that every PS5 would come with a pre-installed game of this quality.

Aside from being a great little 3D platformer, it also awakened a slight tinge of PlayStation nostalgia in my reptilian brain, normally 100% reserved for Nintendo products.

repoman

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 August, 2021, 12:08:26 PM

Anyone else play the free 'Astro's Playroom'? I had no idea that every PS5 would come with a pre-installed game of this quality.

it's lovely and the use of the controller is amazing.

I just need more PS5 games to support those features!

CalHab

The lack of PS5's led me to get a XBox Series X, which I got with GamePass. That's an absolutely brilliant service, I've barely had to buy a game since. Its way better than PS Plus.

MumboJimbo

Ever since the Xbox One launch disaster back in 2013, I've had a disdain for the brand, and their lack of decent exclusives (Forza notwithstanding) throughout the last generation has only entrenched this...and yet I find myself eyeing up the Xbox Series S and imagining me getting into the new Halo over the long, dark winter months.

I have loved the PS4, and will probably get a PS5 at some stage (maybe when a slim version comes along). My son has one and he brings it with him when he stays at weekends, and it's a marvellous bit of kit. But what puts me off a bit (apart from the difficulty in actually getting the sodding thing) is the game price hike. The US has had a $10 increase, but in the UK it's more like £15 which is eye-watering. Is Brexit to blame? Frankly I just can't see myself ever spending £70 on a game, so it will be games on sale, or second hand games at Game or CEX. All of a sudden, a service like GamePass seems very tempting indeed.