Main Menu

Reading 2000AD on an iPad Mini?

Started by Krakajac, 25 March, 2015, 12:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krakajac

Thinking of taking my first step into a larger world.  :)

Do any forum members read/subscribe to 2000AD specifically on an iPad Mini?  I've recently purchased an iPad Mini 2 (with a Retina Display).  Taking into account the dimensions, is the experience on par with a normal, larger-sized iPad?

Cheers,
Craig.

Timothy

I don't know, but why not buy a single prog to try it out and see how you feel?

Molch-R

There's also loads of free comics on the app, Craig - should give you an idea of how it will look!

Spaceghost

I've got a Nexus 7 which is about the same size as an ipod mini (I think) and 2000 AD reads fine on that.

Admittedly, it took me a while to get used to it as there is no auto-panel-zoom function of the sort you find on the Dark Horse or Comixology apps, but with a bit of practice and deft fingering(?) you'll be fine.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dominic O'Rourke

I have the iPad 3, and find myself slightly dissatisfied that the screen isn't slightly larger. I've subscribed on the iPad since launch and love it, but find on my wife's mini that I have to zoom and pan to read the comic.

I've been crossing my fingers and praying to grud for a 12" iPad. Just for my comics.
Member No. 10

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dominic O'Rourke on 25 March, 2015, 02:08:56 PM
I've been crossing my fingers and praying to grud for a 12" iPad. Just for my comics.

I was hoping they'd announce that when they did their big thing back in November (was it). They didn't so I finally bite the bullet and went for the Samsung Galaxy 12' and have to say I couldn't be happier with it. Might be hard to get hold of now (or cheap*) cos it didn't take of over here (or Europe I think) but did a lot better in the US so is still supported.

Anyway while I can't deny I still prefer paper, it is a delight to read on. People complain that its a little heavy, which I can kinda see but its certainly no worse than reading a decently sized trade and typically I don't read one handed so really isn't an issue for me in terms of reading.

* Yeah just nosed and they are still available at the reduced price I got mine at under £400

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 March, 2015, 02:46:04 PM...typically I don't read one handed ...

Just wait 'til the Meg floppy gets round to Valkyries.

(Not long to go now, to judge by Harlem Heroes).

Anzati

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 March, 2015, 02:48:45 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 March, 2015, 02:46:04 PM...typically I don't read one handed ...

Wasn't that with Meg 351?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 March, 2015, 02:48:45 PM

I use my keyboard stand thingie for that sort of thing. It helps keep thing nice and erect with no need for hands at all.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Krakajac on 25 March, 2015, 12:26:42 PMDo any forum members read/subscribe to 2000AD specifically on an iPad Mini?  I've recently purchased an iPad Mini 2 (with a Retina Display).  Taking into account the dimensions, is the experience on par with a normal, larger-sized iPad?
Like Molch-R said, you can always download the app and the freebies within, to get an idea of how strong you think the experience is on the smaller iPad. Note that if you want an alternate reader that you could use with the CBRs/PDFs you can buy direct from the 2000 AD shop, Chunky is free, excellent and packed full of useful options and settings.

Teivion

I use an ipad mini, you can pinch zoom ok if needed, and the quality of the page is awesome.

Ive also noticed a wierd thing that happens where you can select text and it trys to read it out to you in a super fast robot voice.
Dont know what the hell that option is for-  cant adjust it,some sort of a reader thing- but it gave me a full five mins of extra entertainment.

Steve Green

Some visual impairment assistance presumably?

Or the nerve centre droids are watching you through your tablet.

TordelBack

Quote from: Anzati on 25 March, 2015, 02:55:03 PM
Wasn't that with Meg 351?

Seriously, was it? I would have thought I'd have heard that degree of frantic barrel scraping from here (although I'm a fan, I assumed I was the only fan).

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: Krakajac on 25 March, 2015, 12:26:42 PM
Thinking of taking my first step into a larger world.  :)

Do any forum members read/subscribe to 2000AD specifically on an iPad Mini?  I've recently purchased an iPad Mini 2 (with a Retina Display).  Taking into account the dimensions, is the experience on par with a normal, larger-sized iPad?

Cheers,
Craig.

I do. I have the first ipad and an ipad mini 3, and I much prefer reading 2000ad and the Meg, and graphic novels on the mini. It's more comfortable, light, the resolution is better and the loss of size isn't any issue to me. I much prefer it to having a physical issue or on the larger ipad.
That's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

Krakajac

Many thanks for all of your replies!

Yes, silly me...I should've installed the app.  :-[

I've now done just that...and downloaded the sample prog.

IMO, it reads very well.  Visuals/text all very clear - even to my 44-year old eyes.